Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 09:00 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,668,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Umm, those numbers pretty much say it all, owl.
Since you like love paying CA taxes and California is the best to YOU.. they should like never have such a big, major, vital and important global corporation leave.

Last edited by owl6969; 01-30-2016 at 09:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 09:14 PM

21,739 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owl6969 View Post
Since you like love paying CA taxes and California is the best to YOU.. then they should like never have such a big, major, vital and important global corporation leave.
Owl, are you drinking tonight?

Old 01-30-2016, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Owl, are you drinking tonight?
Huh?????? Ugghhh what are you doing??? Since you think California is so great and etc as you make it out to be.. if that is so, a vital, major and such a important global corporation should never leave.

Last edited by owl6969; 01-30-2016 at 09:52 PM..

Old 01-30-2016, 09:27 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,762,488 times
C'mon. No one on earth LOVES to pay taxes. They aren't labeled a necessary evil for nothin'.

But some of us don't mind them as much, or value simple things or lifestyles more than others (which, on a personal level, all the recreational activities CA offers FOR FREE really boost QOL). Regardless, my state income taxes this year were child's play compared to how much the Feds took.

Big companies relocate all the time, for many different reasons. CA is not special in this regard, and that is just one high profile example.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:28 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,594,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Texas at #29 from the top. CA at #10 from the top. And then there is the weather....

Enough said:

US states economy ranking Q4 2015 - Business Insider
So since crude is tanking, The Ballad of Jed Calmpett needs to be re-written I take it?

Come and listen to a story about a man named Jed
A poor mountaineer, barely kept his family fed,
And then one day he was shootin at some food,
And up through the ground came a bubblin crude.

Oil that is, black gold, Texas tea.

Well the first thing you know ol Jed's a millionaire,
Kinfolk said "Jed move away from there"
Said "Californy is the place you ought to be"
So they loaded up the truck and moved to Beverly

Hills, that is. Swimmin pools, movie stars.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
LOVES to pay taxes.
Was talking about California taxes specifically.

Last edited by owl6969; 01-30-2016 at 09:49 PM..

Old 01-31-2016, 06:34 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
expat, this is a serious question, what California governance drove your wife to want to leave? Not everything the state government does pleases me, not at all, but nothing (for me) rises to the level of leaving just because of them (I don't have a real fondness for any governments, to be honest). But, this state belongs to the 38 million of us that live here, not the 40 State Senators and 80 State Assembly members.

I feel the same way about the federal government. I have no inclination of leaving the US either.
Hi,

Taxes, Exorbitant fees to start with. She also hates the crowded roads, not just freeways and the crowding when shopping due to the population. I personally hate the crowds and terrible traffic. The costs I can deal with. Governance covers many things including uncontrolled growth. CA Gov't seems to feel that if you live in CA you must pay more for ... less services, etc. We have lived in 7 States, CA three times and even though some States had bad weather, like IN, and some had high taxes, the Gov't did not cause so many problems. Hard to be specific as some are personal irritations and other business related. Yes, I can deal with such, could buy a house in OC where I would like to live, but her feelings come first.

I suspect some of her feelings are due to the immense changes she (and I) have seen growing up in SoCal as it is a mess compared to what it was years ago. In a sense no ones fault, just frustrating as we used to be able to enjoy all CA had to offer with a lot less trouble, cost and frustration. Being older does not help either. For the young, CA can be fun, for families you better make a good living or you won't have time or money to enjoy a lot of what CA has to offer. If you have a great income and don't mind the crowding, go for it.

Now I visit when I can, enjoy the things to do I like and then leave. Was there twice last year.

Old 01-31-2016, 06:39 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
Much of the economy in each state, in the country, in the world, is concentrated with a small percentage in each of the areas. Most of the money goes to few people in each of the areas. So what does it matter which state has a better economy? It isn't really "better" for most people. Most normal people in each state is pretty much the same.

In other words, the difference that you see between each state is not really about the state, but few movers and shakers.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:06 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,266,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Hi,

Taxes, Exorbitant fees to start with. She also hates the crowded roads, not just freeways and the crowding when shopping due to the population. I personally hate the crowds and terrible traffic. The costs I can deal with. Governance covers many things including uncontrolled growth. CA Gov't seems to feel that if you live in CA you must pay more for ... less services, etc. We have lived in 7 States, CA three times and even though some States had bad weather, like IN, and some had high taxes, the Gov't did not cause so many problems. Hard to be specific as some are personal irritations and other business related. Yes, I can deal with such, could buy a house in OC where I would like to live, but her feelings come first.

I suspect some of her feelings are due to the immense changes she (and I) have seen growing up in SoCal as it is a mess compared to what it was years ago. In a sense no ones fault, just frustrating as we used to be able to enjoy all CA had to offer with a lot less trouble, cost and frustration. Being older does not help either. For the young, CA can be fun, for families you better make a good living or you won't have time or money to enjoy a lot of what CA has to offer. If you have a great income and don't mind the crowding, go for it.

Now I visit when I can, enjoy the things to do I like and then leave. Was there twice last year.
expat, thanks for giving it a shot.

Sometimes people just don't like something without a specific reason, there is nothing wrong with that. I have a good friend in Texas and we have lighthearted debates on why each should move to each other's state. She is a Texan through and through, you couldn't drag her out of Texas no matter what, so this is all just for fun. Truth of the matter, sometimes people just want to live (or not live) in a particular place.

In your wife's case, sometimes something different is well worth it. Nothing at all wrong with that. I think change is great. I have traveled around this country and this world a lot and have seen a lot of different cultures. It is fun. I would imagine someone growing tired of California could find a lot of excitement in other areas just like I can imagine people growing tired of other areas finding new excitement in California. The things you take for granted in California no longer excite you but when you go to another area, things really stick out, such as a different fauna, flora, topography, and even the people are different. It becomes exciting. The people there, perhaps take all that for granted and are excited when they see waves crash on the California coast. The CA weather, which you may have taken for granted, becomes a jewel to someone else. etc.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:48 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
Actually taxes is not the reason so many big corporations are leaving California. It also is not the reason, that California companies are opening their new facilities in other states as they are.

Lets look at the big reasons.

1--Excessive regulations. If you want to open a new facility in California, it takes 2.5 years to get the permits to open often having to be approved by over 50 agencies. You can get the permits in several other states in a matter of a few days. And we are talking about the same quality, and environmentally safe in either place. This is why Tesla is opening their new battery plant in Nevada. As they announced they will need the batteries coming off the assembly line in 18 months, and it takes a year or more to build a plant. In other words, they can't sit around for over 3 years waiting to get the new batteries.

2--Cost to do business. Electricity which is a big cost, is so out of reason in California compared to many other places. The labor costs are so much higher. Etc. Etc. A company like Toyota can move their operation from Southern California to Texas and lower operating costs as much as 40%. That 40% can be used to lower prices to be more competitive. That 40% can be used to enlarge the business, and produce much more income. That 40% can give the ability to raise wages etc. That 40% can increase dividends to stock holders.

3--Their employees can have a higher standard of living in their new location, than in California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California