Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 05:02 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,231,566 times

Advertisements

What I want to know... How do people afford to live in California?

I recently just had another CA job opportunity- Long Beach, CA, starting salary $75-85K. From what I can see on Zillow - a decent house in the area STARTS at $500K, and it would be better to pay $600K+ WTF!?!?

I just..... don't get it. There's no way I can make that move, even though it would be a "step up" in my career. I currently make $51K and my mortgage costs me $900 right now - 36% of my net income. If I blanked out my savings and begged for help from my and my wife's family, we could come up with the $130K for 20% down on a $600K house... but our mortgage would still be 2400 - about 52% of net take home off of an 80K salary. I would have to pray that my wife got a great job just to get back to the place we are right now.

The way I calculate it, even if they offered me the high side of their starting salary range, I would be taking at least a 12% pay CUT, possibly 15-18% depending on their offer, AND I would have to blank out my savings.

I previously had a similar opportunity in Fremont, CA, where the housing cost:wage ratio seemed even more out of whack. They were going to pay about $90K but decent houses were in the $750K+ range.

I've been to SF Bay area, LA/OC area and San Diego area a handful of times and liked it... but it didn't seem like the streets were paved with gold. I feel quite privileged with even being able to have these kinds of opportunities... makes me wonder how it is for people who make much less money. It must be terrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 05:05 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,631,650 times

Old 01-28-2016, 05:21 PM

26,719 posts, read 26,782,723 times
How do people afford to buy a house here?

If you read through the above thread, the OP actually ended up buying a fixer condo here.

Old 01-28-2016, 05:27 PM

548 posts, read 473,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post

I recently just had another CA job opportunity- Long Beach, CA, starting salary $75-85K. From what I can see on Zillow - a decent house in the area STARTS at $500K, and it would be better to pay $600K+ WTF!?!?

I just..... don't get it. There's no way I can make that move, even though it would be a "step up" in my career. I currently make $51K and my mortgage costs me $900 right now - 36% of my net income. If I blanked out my savings and begged for help from my and my wife's family, we could come up with the $130K for 20% down on a $600K house... but our mortgage would still be 2400 - about 52% of net take home off of an 80K salary. I would have to pray that my wife got a great job just to get back to the place we are right now.

The way I calculate it, even if they offered me the high side of their starting salary range, I would be taking at least a 12% pay CUT, possibly 15-18% depending on their offer, AND I would have to blank out my savings.

I previously had a similar opportunity in Fremont, CA, where the housing cost:wage ratio seemed even more out of whack. They were going to pay about $90K but decent houses were in the $750K+ range.

I've been to SF Bay area, LA/OC area and San Diego area a handful of times and liked it... but it didn't seem like the streets were paved with gold. I feel quite privileged with even being able to have these kinds of opportunities... makes me wonder how it is for people who make much less money. It must be terrible.
You buy what you can afford. And then move up with your increase in equity in 5-10 years.

Old 01-28-2016, 05:30 PM

943 posts, read 1,320,735 times
There are two different questions: How do people afford to move to California, and how do people afford to live in California. You want the answer to the first question, and frankly I don't know the answer. But I do know how many of us afford to live in California. We've been here a long time, and bought houses when they were much, much cheaper.

In fact I would go so far as to say that the best financial decision I made in my life was to buy a house in California in 1997. It seemed expensive at the time but it was unbelievably cheap compared to today.

Old 01-28-2016, 05:37 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,926,636 times
Quote:
but it didn't seem like the streets were paved with gold.
No, you have it all wrong. Our streets are CRAP. It's the residential lots that are paved with gold.

Old 01-28-2016, 05:38 PM

102,191 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupBro View Post
You buy what you can afford. And then move up with your increase in equity in 5-10 years.
If you think about it, that doesn't work. Because as his equity increases, the cost of the better homes he wants to get into has gone way up, too. He'd be better off doing a garage convert, or adding on to his starter house in some way.

OP, I don't know if this will be any comfort, but UC Berkeley in the past has had trouble attracting faculty, because what they offer is so out of whack with the cost of housing, that people come full of enthusiasm, interview, are shocked when they check out the real estate mkt, and say "no, thank you" and apply for jobs elsewhere.

Maybe employers should go in together on housing co-ops, for their employees. A few towns have done something like that, so that police, teachers and firefighters can afford to live in the communities they serve.

Old 01-28-2016, 05:52 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,114,193 times
Quote:

They buy a smaller house (think the size that Europeans or Japanese live in), or they commute further (to the IE, etc.).

Old 01-28-2016, 06:57 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJS View Post
In fact I would go so far as to say that the best financial decision I made in my life was to buy a house in California in 1997. It seemed expensive at the time but it was unbelievably cheap compared to today.
Yep. We panicked when our agent told us in 1997 that we should be looking at $200K houses. That just seemed astronomically high and out of reach. We settled for a smaller house at $160K, and it was definitely a very good decision, but...we wish now we'd bought a $200K house.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:30 PM

548 posts, read 473,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If you think about it, that doesn't work. Because as his equity increases, the cost of the better homes he wants to get into has gone way up, too. He'd be better off doing a garage convert, or adding on to his starter house in some way.

OP, I don't know if this will be any comfort, but UC Berkeley in the past has had trouble attracting faculty, because what they offer is so out of whack with the cost of housing, that people come full of enthusiasm, interview, are shocked when they check out the real estate mkt, and say "no, thank you" and apply for jobs elsewhere.

Maybe employers should go in together on housing co-ops, for their employees. A few towns have done something like that, so that police, teachers and firefighters can afford to live in the communities they serve.
I guess this is why I have a job.

Actually the main thing that kills you is the broker commission to your realtor. With a 7 year hold and everything escalating at 3%/yr you can buy something worth ~22% more in today's dollars.

This calculation also doesn't include any tax benefits. Also, while I did assume a modest 40 bps increase in interest rates, I honestly believe that as interest rates increase home prices will not increase as much as they have so it will be a wash.

Last edited by SupBro; 01-28-2016 at 07:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California