Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 11:44 PM

11 posts, read 103,130 times

Advertisements

Is there a way to fight it or have it reduced?

Got a $25 "fix it" traffic ticket for missing a current registration tag in April 2012. The actual registration was current, just no tag on the license plate. I showed the registration (with a tag on it) to the officer but got the ticket anyway. I forgot about it and after two months of neglect, it is now a $619 ticket with administrative, late and all kinds of other fees.

More than that, if I don't pay it by 6/15 or if I request a court appointment, the total will be $919.

Do I have any options?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 12:02 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,595,322 times
So let me get this straight.

You paid your registration (good), got the registration and tags in the mail (good), put the reg and tags in your car (good), got pulled over for something (bad), you showed the officer your current registration WITH the stickers still stapled to it in the little baggie, and he STILL wrote the fix-it ticket (I don't fully buy this)? Then, you drove away from the ticket, and forgot about it (bad)?

Seems like we're missing part of this story, but nevertheless, you can *try* going to court and asking the judge to lower the fine amount, but there is no guarantee that this will work.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:03 AM

611 posts, read 1,600,600 times
Did you miss your first "appear at court" date?
You can either suck it up and pay or go to court and see the judge who can lower your fine.

I missed my court date due to a forgotten fix it ticket and my fine turned into $900+ with a failure to appear on record. I set up a court date and the judge reduced my fine to $100.

Either way, you need to either pay or set up a date by the 15th especially if you already missed your first court date. A second failure to appear is something you definitely don't want to mess with. There will also be a hold on your drivers license until this is resolved if you missed your first court date already.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:08 AM

@1200RT - I can prove it, so you might just have to believe it.

@Nightscape - yes I did miss it. Basically I was going through some serious personal stuff for 2 months, and just about now "woke up" and started going through the backlog of unpaid bills, etc.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:10 AM

The thing about going to the court is that if the judge doesn't reduce it, it will be $919.

Up until 6/15 (two more days), the bail is $619, without going to the court.

Should I contact one of the traffic lawyers?

Old 06-13-2012, 12:12 AM

I suggest setting up a new court date. Not a guarantee but a first failure to appear is not a huge deal and the judge will most likely lower your fine. Theres probably a hold on your license rightnow so you should go to the court and get the hold lifted until your court date. Theres a $20 fee or so.

I also had the option of deducting $300 from the $900 amount if paid by a certain date. I took my chances and went to court instead. That call is up to you. There were a lot of people there for the same reason and the judge reduced everyones fines to original fine, plus failure to appear fee, and $20 to lift the hold on license if you haven't already done so.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:14 AM

Thanks Nightscape. When I do get to the court, what are the most effective ways to convince them to reduce the fine and scrape it off my record?

Old 06-13-2012, 12:17 AM

Just on a side note: usually cops who notice my expired tags and follow me for a bit, check my license through their system and leave me alone, seeing that it's current in the DMV system. In this case I got "lucky" - the cop's computer was broken so she couldn't confirm independently that it was current until she saw it in my hands. Not sure why she decided to write me up - probably got pissed she wasted time on me and for my stupidity with these tags.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindzmarauli View Post
Thanks Nightscape. When I do get to the court, what are the most effective ways to convince them to reduce the fine and scrape it off my record?
The judge will ask you why you didn't appear. "I forgot" is an excuse that does not fly in court, but I simply told the judge the truth. "It was a lapse on my part your honor, I simply just forgot about the ticket." It worked for me... Good luck

Old 06-13-2012, 08:25 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,265,760 times
Quote:
Is there a way to fight it or have it reduced?

Got a $25 "fix it" traffic ticket for missing a current registration tag in April 2012. The actual registration was current, just no tag on the license plate. I showed the registration (with a tag on it) to the officer but got the ticket anyway. I forgot about it and after two months of neglect, it is now a $619 ticket with administrative, late and all kinds of other fees.

More than that, if I don't pay it by 6/15 or if I request a court appointment, the total will be $919.

Do I have any options?

Thanks!
It is curious that the sticker made it to the glove compartment but not on the license plate.

Quote:
Just on a side note: usually cops who notice my expired tags and follow me for a bit, check my license through their system and leave me alone, seeing that it's current in the DMV system. In this case I got "lucky" - the cop's computer was broken so she couldn't confirm independently that it was current until she saw it in my hands. Not sure why she decided to write me up - probably got pissed she wasted time on me and for my stupidity with these tags.
You noticed the cops see the expired tag but are still not motivated to put the sticker on the plate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightscape View Post
The judge will ask you why you didn't appear. "I forgot" is an excuse that does not fly in court, but I simply told the judge the truth. "It was a lapse on my part your honor, I simply just forgot about the ticket." It worked for me... Good luck
Is there a significance difference between "I forgot" and "It was a lapse on my part your honor, I simply just forgot about the ticket."?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California