Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 07:11 PM

371 posts, read 378,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
Well I chose to use "Tough Guy" instead of "Thug" for a reason but more or less to me, it's the same. It's the same boorish behavior of young, 20-something men wanting to impress with how well they can fight and hurt rather than how well they can think or make money.

I remember this story too well when I lived in San Diego, some Navy Seal picked up some girl at a bar in PB, took her back to his place, wanted to impress her, took out his handgun and accidentally shot and killed himself (he was very drunk).

But pause for a minute, he's instinctual behavior to impress a girl is to whip out his gun and point at his head? This is the kind of "Tough guy" mentality present in San Diego more so than other cities in SoCal.

In certain portions of LA you will stumble across genuine thugs, or wannabe thugs but in general LA is an educated and learned place compared to San Diego. It's either military or surfer bros down there.
Never said a few in the military don't do dumb things, but on average it's not a daily occurrence. Thugs here can be any age, no poser wannabees but plenty of wannabee gangbangers. The Tough Guys are typically gelheads from NY or NJ who drive aggressively and cause road rage incidents are pumped up or on roids. We have plenty of those here, they tend to work out at LA Fitness.

Florida's heavy transient nature is a breeding ground for this, people move here with no jobs or take jobs making less, fall into a life of crime to pay the bills or for drugs or don't work at all, live off of the system. When I worked in that complex where the woman was carjacked, I saw people in their teens, 20's and 30's riding around on BMX bikes in the middle of the day for no reason, I later found out they were breaking in people's cars by scoping out which ones left the doors unlocked, people still are that naive here to leave their electronics, purse and valuables in their car unlocked, laying on the front seat. My one friend did that and lost a laptop, his phone and a pair of high end headphones, he lives in a man guarded gated community with security patrols, it an affluent area, appears the complex he lives in is becoming full of rentals, 4 to 6 in a house to afford the high rent. No criminal background checks because people living there are all not on the HOA books. Cars were getting wheels stolen, up on blocks and etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 07:58 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,406,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high_plains_drifter View Post
Have you lived in FL ever?
Not yet, but visited more times than I can count and have friends there and many from there. They tell me about it.

Old 03-09-2016, 10:19 PM

61 posts, read 61,539 times
Quote:
Visit and drive at rush hour, it's not LA but it's quite bad and the worse is Miami. Also take note that we are "Seasonal", that means there are more people here between Oct - May, also during school season traffic is heavier.
I will definitely do that, I'm sure its different.

Quote:
Do you think $200K combined is good enough to afford Carlsbad? My wife makes around $90K year working from home and the job goes anywhere in the world. No kids, no debt.
Definitely!! Nice homes in the area. Every time I visit there are new homes coming up but it still doesnt look congested. I love the area we go to pick strawberries and shop at the outlet mall. Also you're about an hour from places like Newport Beach if you like the beach vibes.

Quote:
South Florida is more of a Thug type of thing, I see a lot of them here, there are nice parts though, it's just the type of mentality that exists here.
Yeah I've seen those here too. I'll be looking for the nice parts

Old 03-09-2016, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
FL is no better nor worse than any other high population area. They have good and bad and you just have to learn about them. I grew up in CA as an example and lived for a while in SD County and my house was broken to twice in day light with in 1 year of each occurrence and the police could do nothing. Very nice area as well. It happens every where.
What area was this? This happened not too long ago in LA county the perps came running out cause the owner was home and had a gun.

Old 03-09-2016, 10:31 PM

Quote:
I don't have a problem with that as I come from a Military family, besides thugs are cowards, they prey on easy targets, woman, the elderly and etc.

People in the military don't do that and are brave and have a lot of courage, don't know how you can class them together personally I find that insulting.
I agree!!! Being military i don't know these "tough guys".

Quote:
In San Diego there is probably just as much of a "tough guy" mentality due to the huge military presence. Here in Miami Beach you can choose your scenes from classy to trashy, it just depends on what you like, what's your budget, and where you live.
I don't see how you can group" tough guys" with military. Even the rowdy ones aren't that bad.

Old 03-10-2016, 04:15 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,397,342 times
The U.S. Census on the percent of adults (25 or older) with a bachelor's degree or higher:

San Diego County: 35%
San Diego City: 42%

LA County: 30%
City of LA: 31.5%

Broward County: 30%
City of Fort Lauderdale: 34%

U.S. (national average): 29%

http://www.census.gov/quickfacts/tab...00,06037,06073

QuickFacts

San Diego's cluster of bio-tech and life science oriented companies attracts a lot of people with college/advanced degrees.

That said, San Diego will never be accused of being the most intellectual big city (like say San Francisco or NYC). Also, even with its higher than the national average share of adults with a college degree or higher, San Diego is much less cosmopolitan/international and far more parochial in outlook than its northern neighbor: Los Angeles.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:29 AM

892 posts, read 860,735 times
Weird stats via San Diego, but I guess all those military bros get free college and most colleges in this country are paper mills.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:33 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,697,821 times
Quote:
Weird stats via San Diego, but I guess all those military bros get free college and most colleges in this country are paper mills.
U mean degree mills? Or actual paper mills producing paper?

And that's not true at all. Who made u the authority on higher education in America? lol. girl, please.... Sit down.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:51 AM

892 posts, read 860,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
U mean degree mills? Or actual paper mills producing paper?

And that's not true at all. Who made u the authority on higher education in America? lol. girl, please.... Sit down.
They might as well be paper mills considering how much paper they produce to print your degrees

Old 03-10-2016, 08:51 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,406,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nola9grl View Post
What area was this? This happened not too long ago in LA county the perps came running out cause the owner was home and had a gun.
Escondido in a nice part of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California