Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 02:16 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,987,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Hmmm, that's one I haven't heard before. Do you have a source for that? Thanks!
Do a google search for Cardinal John J. O’Connor, Archbishop of New York, and his program that offered 1,000 black students scholarships to prominent Catholic Private Schools.

They found that the students who attended the Catholic private schools enjoyed a 24 percent advantage in attending any college over their peers who remained in the public school system.

Not only that, but if you look at the acceptance rates into Ivy's and where the students are coming from, a large majority of them are coming from private Catholic high schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 02:33 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,511,864 times
Quote:
The last time California was at the top of the heap was 1965
Which coincided with legislation that change the state and country forever. Thanks Ted.

Old 01-09-2017, 03:23 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,987,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
So it's the landlords fault ? Really ?
A landlords responsibility is to provide a decent place for their tenants in exchange for rent .
Not to raise their tenants kids .
They don't run the schools .
Also it's hard to even make money as a landlord in CA these days unless you inherited the property or bought it years ago .
CA is notoriously anti landlord and pro tenant so most new investors that live in CA are investing out of state .
Blaming CA landlords for failing schools is really far fetched .
Agreed.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:44 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
I own property in California and I'd say hell yes to this with the following stipulations:

- Breakup SEIU/CTA/CSEA. Since it will be all local spending, there is no longer a need for these dinosaurs.

- Increase length of time required before a teacher may become a permanent employee from two complete consecutive school years to five complete consecutive school years. Authorize school boards to dismiss a permanent teaching employee who receives two consecutive unsatisfactory performance evaluations. No teacher is safe from lack of performance no matter how many years they've been in the system.

- Local spending, local voting. Only residents within actual school districts can vote on propositions that distribute local funds. This includes employee raises (COLA or otherwise), all infrastructure projects, etc.

- Erase CalPERs. All retirement plans now become locally funded as well. They can be privatized, or socialized, that is to be determined by the voters of the district. Contribution percentage must be approved by voters.

- No more public funded education for illegal aliens. Illegals cannot register for K-12 until they become citizens or permanent residents.

C'mon those who bemoan Prop 13, would you be willing to sever the ties of the SEIU/CTA/CSEA from the state's protection and coffers and stop funding illegal alien education?

Democrats love union power and illegal aliens, but would they be willing to give it up to help California's schools?
I'd go along with all of those except the last which is too extreme. However I do think that schools should not be able to declare themselves to be sanctuaries from immigration law and any district that refuses to enforce immigration law would see its funding cut.

I would add breaking up all school districts with over 100K kids. This would only affect two or at most three school districts in the state and none in Northern California. Districts which get too big become too big to function.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Which coincided with legislation that change the state and country forever. Thanks Ted.
That law was necessary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voting_Rights_Act_of_1965

Old 01-13-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
I actually agree with your suggestions. Having worked as an educator (now retired), I'd be happy to see the union stronghold on schools go.

I'd also add that we should do away with Charter Schools. While there are some good Charter Schools, a lot are worse than "regular" publics, or at least no better. The trouble is that local districts end up paying for them either way without much oversight.

And, no school voucher programs either. (I would exclude payments for severely disabled students who need highly specialized services not available in their local district).
That would make things far worse.
If anything we should do away with big dysfunctional districts like LAUSD and OUSD. Either break them up and/or make all schools charter.
Bad charters get closed. Bad public schools stay open.
I would also add we should ban collective bargaining rights for school employees or any other public employees in the state.
That however would not be easy to do.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:07 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Quote:
Mello Roos pays for school construction. It doesn't pay for hiring teachers, supplies, or other costs of what happens IN the classrooms after they are constructed.
I even pay for school supplies, even PE stuff. One year I paid $500 for soccer. It's never free. Enormous cost. Perhaps California has not been managed well.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:17 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
how about voucher for private schools? I think that's better than charger school. they are definitely cheaper that charter or public schools. a catholic education is something like 600/month. can public schools beat that?
Vouchers don't cover the cost of decent private schools, they tried to pass a law in Nevada that would give parents 5k a year to send their kids to private school, the average tuition was over $9,000 a year. The only people the voucher would help would be people who could afford to come up with $4,000 per kid. It's just a joke and the poor always lose in a scheme like that. Not to mention, the kids remaining in public school end up being the most difficult to teach, the slow learners and ELL kids. As it is those kids benefit from having classrooms with English speakers and quick learners, without that influence those schools will deteriorate even more.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:29 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
That would make things far worse.
If anything we should do away with big dysfunctional districts like LAUSD and OUSD. Either break them up and/or make all schools charter. Bad charters get closed. Bad public schools stay open.
I would also add we should ban collective bargaining rights for school employees or any other public employees in the state. That however would not be easy to do.
How do bad charter schools get closed, that doesn't even make sense. And there is no evidence that Charter schools are significantly better than public schools.

On average, nationally, students in 17 percent of charter schools performed significantly better than if they had attended their neighborhood traditional public school. On the flip side, students in 37 percent of charter schools performed significantly worse, and students in the remaining 46 percent of charter schools did not perform significantly better or worse than if they had attended their neighborhood traditional public school.
How do charter schools compare to traditional public schools in student performance? – Data First

And I'm not condemning all charter schools, there are exceptions, my son is probably going to enroll his little boy in a local Montessori charter school in the fall. But I think any plan for just getting rid of public schools is a recipe for disaster, once you privatize education profit will be the driving force, not teaching.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
How do bad charter schools get closed, that doesn't even make sense. And there is no evidence that Charter schools are significantly better than public schools.

On average, nationally, students in 17 percent of charter schools performed significantly better than if they had attended their neighborhood traditional public school. On the flip side, students in 37 percent of charter schools performed significantly worse, and students in the remaining 46 percent of charter schools did not perform significantly better or worse than if they had attended their neighborhood traditional public school.
How do charter schools compare to traditional public schools in student performance? – Data First

And I'm not condemning all charter schools, there are exceptions, my son is probably going to enroll his little boy in a local Montessori charter school in the fall. But I think any plan for just getting rid of public schools is a recipe for disaster, once you privatize education profit will be the driving force, not teaching.
Bad charters get their charters revoked: NY Slant

When was the last time bad public schools got closed down for being chaotic, violent environments? If they did you'd have to close down every LAUSD school.

The site that you posted a link to is from a group which favors limitations on charters: https://www.nsba.org/newsroom/press-...harter-schools

Privatizing LAUSD or Oakland USD would lead to better results than exist right now and at worst they could be no worse, but since said schools would be more orderly, the results would definitely be better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California