Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 03:11 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,228,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
It's not when you're getting paid for 17.

Also no one knows how frequent these breaks were, and how many times a day they occurred (yet). These are just the times KTVU found from reviewing the tapes they do have. He could have been taking 8 hours of rest during a "17 hour day".
You basically live up to the term "Jumping the gun".

We don't know what he was doing in the storage room. Maybe he needed to use the space to fix his equipment. Maybe he was cleaning the room. Maybe there was something else that requires him to be there. Being in a storage room does not in and of itself, means someone is gaming the system.

In fact, a storage room is not a place that I'd associate someone with slacking off. When a person is slacking, I imagine that person sitting in the cafeteria playing with his phone, sitting in Starbucks reading a book, or simply not showed up for work.

If there is a TV and a bed in the storage room, that's one thing; but we don't know that. Simply seeing a worker entered a storage room for 90 mins means nothing without more information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 03:26 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,984,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post

We don't know what he was doing in the storage room. Maybe he needed to use the space to fix his equipment. Maybe he was cleaning the room. Maybe there was something else that requires him to be there. Being in a storage room does not in and of itself, means someone is gaming the system.

In fact, a storage room is not a place that I'd associate someone with slacking off. When a person is slacking, I imagine that person sitting in the cafeteria playing with his phone, sitting in Starbucks reading a book, or simply not showed up for work.

If there is a TV and a bed in the storage room, that's one thing; but we don't know that. Simply seeing a worker entered a storage room for 90 mins means nothing without more information.
You basically live up to the term, "blinded by bias".

He could have been in the closet creating the cure for cancer, or he could have been in the closet sleeping on taxpayer money. I know which one is much more likely. It's sad that you do not.

Old 02-09-2017, 03:49 PM

772 posts, read 1,141,981 times
That's just sad. No janitor deserves that much money, irrespective of the amount of hours he/she puts in.

Old 02-09-2017, 05:02 PM

64 posts, read 50,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post

Seriously...?

I am all for innocent until proven guilty, but I also don't have to invent hypotheticals for what the janitor "might have been" doing for hours on end in the storage room.

Old 02-09-2017, 06:31 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,332,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itinérant View Post
That's just sad. No janitor deserves that much money, irrespective of the amount of hours he/she puts in.
That's right. That's absolutely right. It wouldn't matter if he was working 24 hours a day, seven days a week. It certainly doesn't matter what the pay is if that's what the employer offered him.

He is a Janitor for Chrissakes. He deserves no breaks of any kind. If he has the audacity to somehow get a step up in life, he must be dragged and down and kicked down and kept down at all costs.

After all. He's a janitor. That's his job: not just to clean up the messes left behind from others, but it is also his job to let others lob turds at him just for fun and to remind him of his status. AND HE MUST CLEAN THOSE UP TOO.

I LOVE your thinking. Take no prisoners. You tell them how it is!

Old 02-09-2017, 07:24 PM

787 posts, read 643,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
That's right. That's absolutely right. It wouldn't matter if he was working 24 hours a day, seven days a week. It certainly doesn't matter what the pay is if that's what the employer offered him.

He is a Janitor for Chrissakes. He deserves no breaks of any kind. If he has the audacity to somehow get a step up in life, he must be dragged and down and kicked down and kept down at all costs.

After all. He's a janitor. That's his job: not just to clean up the messes left behind from others, but it is also his job to let others lob turds at him just for fun and to remind him of his status. AND HE MUST CLEAN THOSE UP TOO.

I LOVE your thinking. Take no prisoners. You tell them how it is!

Old 02-09-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OC View Post
Seriously...?

I am all for innocent until proven guilty, but I also don't have to invent hypotheticals for what the janitor "might have been" doing for hours on end in the storage room.
Don't worry, I'm sure he had perfectly valid reasons for disappearing into a closet for hours. He was more than likely doing experiments to cure cancer, while on his iPhone 7 calling for donations for Planned Parenthood. He probably should be up for a noble prize. We can't judge him too harshly.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:16 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,525,135 times
I rode BART when it was brand-new in the 70's, and I rode it recently with my grown children, who now live in the Bay Area.

It's a different world now. It's filthy, dangerous & stinks. I saw (and smelled) feces, urine, & saw syringes, along with lots of everyday garbage. My SIL, until recently, commuted to work daily on BART. He's a big, strong guy, but was always sick...most likely, I'm thinking, from his BART ridership. I've ridden subways in the USA & overseas & never saw stuff like this. I'm not even taking into consideration the mentally unbalanced people that one has to navigate/ignore.

This maintenance guy may not deserve $271k/yr. but certainly deserves more than $57/k. It is a nasty job...how many of you would do it?

Old 02-10-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
I rode BART when it was brand-new in the 70's, and I rode it recently with my grown children, who now live in the Bay Area.

It's a different world now. It's filthy, dangerous & stinks. I saw (and smelled) feces, urine, & saw syringes, along with lots of everyday garbage. My SIL, until recently, commuted to work daily on BART. He's a big, strong guy, but was always sick...most likely, I'm thinking, from his BART ridership. I've ridden subways in the USA & overseas & never saw stuff like this. I'm not even taking into consideration the mentally unbalanced people that one has to navigate/ignore.

This maintenance guy may not deserve $271k/yr. but certainly deserves more than $57/k. It is a nasty job...how many of you would do it?
I wouldn't ever go back to working for someone else, so I may not be the right person to answer this question.

I believe the janitor should be paid for all the hours he actually worked, for which there is considerable evidence now that it was not the amount of hours that was actually reported and what he was actually paid for. He owes taxpayers back a fat check IMO.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:43 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,631,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post

I can't take a posts like remotely serious. Sure sometimes there is some trash or whatever on the train but it is nothing like you describe. Syringes? Give me a break. BART is full of mostly professional and working class people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California