Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 09:06 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times

Advertisements

Sometimes it takes a worst-case example to show that pension reforms in California remain elusive.

Editorial, March 12, 2017: California's continuing pension woes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 09:16 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Do you have a point?

Old 03-12-2017, 11:31 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Do you have a point?
If there is I can't imagine what it would be, that article reads like it was written by a 7th grader. The issue is that Scarber applied for a disability pension very shortly AFTER he was accused of criminal activity which looks fishy and it probably was ...but so what? Crap like that happens all over the US. If anyone is interested here is an article about it that makes more sense:
Ex-CHP chief Kyle Scarber protects CalPERS pension amid trial | The Sacramento Bee

Old 03-13-2017, 10:42 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,786,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Sometimes it takes a worst-case example to show that pension reforms in California remain elusive.

Editorial, March 12, 2017: California's continuing pension woes
Yeah, leeches protecting each other at taxpayers' expense.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:12 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
If there is I can't imagine what it would be, that article reads like it was written by a 7th grader. The issue is that Scarber applied for a disability pension very shortly AFTER he was accused of criminal activity which looks fishy and it probably was ...but so what? Crap like that happens all over the US. If anyone is interested here is an article about it that makes more sense:
Ex-CHP chief Kyle Scarber protects CalPERS pension amid trial | The Sacramento Bee

yea so what??? If it happens all over the US it's perfectly normal and fine... no worries just give him the money and shut up

Old 03-13-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
yea so what??? If it happens all over the US it's perfectly normal and fine... no worries just give him the money and shut up
That's not what I said is it? It just gets a little boring when people pour through the news looking for some hit piece on California and then post it even if it's a nothing burger, which that article was.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:57 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Possibly the author is not a brilliant writer but he did get this right.

"Proponents sold the 1999 measure promising it would impose no new costs on California taxpayers because the California Public Employees Retirement pension fund would grow fast enough to cover the costs. They were off by billions of dollars — and taxpayers will keep paying the bills, for decades to come."

Old 03-13-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Possibly the author is not a brilliant writer but he did get this right.

"Proponents sold the 1999 measure promising it would impose no new costs on California taxpayers because the California Public Employees Retirement pension fund would grow fast enough to cover the costs. They were off by billions of dollars — and taxpayers will keep paying the bills, for decades to come."
That's indisputable and has been brought up ad nauseum in these threads, but what doesn't get mentioned very often is that the damaging effects of SB400 have not escaped Governor Brown or state analysts and PEPRA was enacted in 2013 as a way of reducing future pension costs.

If you want to, we can argue that in order to truly undo the damage the state should do a clawback on pension increases, but even in bankruptcy it's not clear that the courts would allow that and when San Jose tried making major changes to their public safety pensions they lost almost half of their police force.

What makes little sense is to continue to waste time arguing about a really stupid law that was passed 18 years ago, which by the way was a law that no one who I know would even attempt to defend.

Old 03-13-2017, 01:27 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
That's indisputable and has been brought up ad nauseum in these threads, but what doesn't get mentioned very often is that the damaging effects of SB400 have not escaped Governor Brown or state analysts and PEPRA was enacted in 2013 as a way of reducing future pension costs.

If you want to, we can argue that in order to truly undo the damage the state should do a clawback on pension increases, but even in bankruptcy it's not clear that the courts would allow that and when San Jose tried making major changes to their public safety pensions they lost almost half of their police force.

What makes little sense is to continue to waste time arguing about a really stupid law that was passed 18 years ago, which by the way was a law that no one who I know would even attempt to defend.
Oh I agree. The pensions are what they are and I doubt any change will occur in the grandfathered in ones. I have not looked at the new ones to see if they are payable or not and if reasonable or not. The CalPers projected returns are so far from reality I am not sure even the lower ones will not need higher taxes to pay them.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:59 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,433,296 times
Quote:
That's not what I said is it? It just gets a little boring when people pour through the news looking for some hit piece on California and then post it even if it's a nothing burger, which that article was.
A half a trillion is not a nothing burger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California