Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 04:59 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I grew up in CA, moved away to WA, ended up living in TN and Mexico and Canada for varying periods of time.

No other place will be the same. Either weather-wise or culture-wise, including how people deal with politics - regardless of whether or not you are Republican or Democrat or Green Party or Independent.

My experience, living anywhere else, is that for one, the culture is usually way less accepting or tolerant of differing opinions politically or even regarding religion. But, especially, culturally.

Now, since I grew up in the SF Bay Area, where diversity is the norm, I had a very hard time living where this is not the case.

And, my experience has been that anywhere away from CA, or even within CA, but away from the urban areas, where it is more affordable, it's usually less diverse and more right wing.

If that's attractive to you, then you might be happy there. I was not.

But, this is the problem I've found when living outside of CA, and especially the major urban areas of CA. The population gets whiter and less tolerant. Which may or may not suit a person. I didn't like it, so I moved back to the SF Bay Area, after moving away for many years, although I grew up here.
The Bay Area is diverse racially, and is diverse culturally, but it is lacking in tolerance re differing political opinions. You just don't see the latter because you agree with 'the way that wind is blowing'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2017, 05:00 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Not only does it not make you better--even more importantly--it usually doesn't make you happier, either.
I agree with this wholeheartedly, but would like to add that it isn't quite that simple. A certain amount of space and amenities do provide for QOL enhancement, it's just that one gets quickly diminishing returns once the basic amenities and base-line square footage requirements are met.

Old 11-11-2017, 05:08 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I agree with this wholeheartedly, but would like to add that it isn't quite that simple. A certain amount of space and amenities do provide for QOL enhancement, it's just that one gets quickly diminishing returns once the basic amenities and base-line square footage requirements are met.
Yes, correct. Problem is people tend to way overestimate their baseline requirements.

Old 11-11-2017, 05:20 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Compton?
LOL.

Seriously though, if he's never been there, Dre should visit Northwest Arkansas. Among other things, the drive from the Fayetteville area to Eureka Springs is beautiful.

Old 11-11-2017, 05:30 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,279,413 times
This is a fairly easy question to answer if you fall into one of three categories:

A) You’re a productive member of society. You work hard, make a decent living and try your best to provide for your family.

B) You’re an illegal alien. You have 10-15 aliases and the stolen social security numbers to go with them. You’re an identity thief and leech off every public program you possibly can.

C) You’re a citizen but a total loser. You contribute nothing to the state or society and are a total parasite. You live for yourself and the hell with everyone else.

The answers are:

A) Get out. Now. Not only will you be sucked dry, you’ll be told it’s your duty, nay, your privilege to support everyone in the state except you and your family. You’ll pay for every wacky idea and program the politicians can think of. Before you know it, you’re nothing but a desiccated husk laying by the side of the road, useless and spent.

B) Stay! This isn't California, it’s nirvana! You, my precious lawbreaker, are the most valuable person in the state. You reap all the benefits, go to the head of the line for everything and once a year you make a pilgrimage to Mecca (Sacramento). There, you’ll be ushered into the back rooms where Kevin De Leon will lay your head in his lap while stroking your face, kissing your forehead and telling you how wonderful and valuable you are. At the same time your getting a foot massage from Gov. Brown and a manicure by Gavin Newsom! It’s a wonderful life!
***bonus tip - you get to file tax returns and, because of earned income credit and child dependent deductions, you’ll get a refund for more than you paid in! PLUS you get to emphatically say “I pay taxes!”.
***extra special bonus tip - if you’re ever in Los Angeles, head over to LAPD headquarters. The chief of police, Charlie Beck, will gladly kiss your a**.

C) Stay! Not only do you belong in California, you belong in the state legislature! Run, you’ll get elected easily.

Old 11-11-2017, 05:39 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
This is a fairly easy question to answer if you fall into one of three categories:

A) You’re a productive member of society. You work hard, make a decent living and try your best to provide for your family.

B) You’re an illegal alien. You have 10-15 aliases and the stolen social security numbers to go with them. You’re an identity thief and leech off every public program you possibly can.

C) You’re a citizen but a total loser. You contribute nothing to the state or society and are a total parasite. You live for yourself and the hell with everyone else.

The answers are:

A) Get out. Now. Not only will you be sucked dry, you’ll be told it’s your duty, nay, your privilege to support everyone in the state except you and your family. You’ll pay for every wacky idea and program the politicians can think of. Before you know it, you’re nothing but a desiccated husk laying by the side of the road, useless and spent.

B) Stay! This isn't California, it’s nirvana! You, my precious lawbreaker, are the most valuable person in the state. You reap all the benefits, go to the head of the line for everything and once a year you make a pilgrimage to Mecca (Sacramento). There, you’ll be ushered into the back rooms where Kevin De Leon will lay your head in his lap while stroking your face, kissing your forehead and telling you how wonderful and valuable you are. At the same time your getting a foot massage from Gov. Brown and a manicure by Gavin Newsom! It’s a wonderful life!
***bonus tip - you get to file tax returns and, because of earned income credit and child dependent deductions, you’ll get a refund for more than you paid in! PLUS you get to emphatically say “I pay taxes!”.
***extra special bonus tip - if you’re ever in Los Angeles, head over to LAPD headquarters. The chief of police, Charlie Beck, will gladly kiss your a**.

C) Stay! Not only do you belong in California, you belong in the state legislature! Run, you’ll get elected easily.
YOu have obviously lived in CA for long enough to see reality.

Last edited by expatCA; 11-11-2017 at 05:57 PM..

Old 11-11-2017, 05:48 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,279,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
YOu have obviously ,lived in CA for long enough to see reality.
*sigh*. Born and raised here. Taking my own advice for A soon. It’s a shame because it was such a wonderful state.

Old 11-11-2017, 06:04 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
*sigh*. Born and raised here. Taking my own advice for A soon. It’s a shame because it was such a wonderful state.
Yep, my wife and I, both born and raised in SoCal were looking hard at moving back next year.

Chose the East Coast of FL instead. Humidity is easier to handle than stupid [political decisions, high taxes and fees, crowding and the heavy traffic everywhere. Our new home 8 miles from the ebach would cost 3 times as much in SoCal and on a small lot and multi story and the HOA would be many times what the new home will have and the property taxes would be much higher in actual dollars than CA and probably Mello Roos on top of that. Now we will visit regularly on the savings in buying a house on SoCal (Would have paid cash)for many, many year. Oh, was at the city we will be living in last Summer during the worst heat in decades and the ocean breeze made it easy to deal with. I love SoCal, but it has changed so much and not for the better. For the young whop are looking for a very active life style, they may enjoy it, but for those of us who grew up in a truly laid back environment, it can't be found there any more. Is it better than a of lot of areas yes, is it worth it to us, no. Where we will be living reminds me of Newport Beach in the 70's.

Old 11-11-2017, 07:06 PM

866 posts, read 319,900 times
Check out the Prescott AZ area. I left California 9 years ago for Texas and am happy here in the Houston suburbs. If family is important AZ will allow you to stay close while being in a nice area.

As for comments about diversity and tolerancen I think Houston is more so on both counts than the Bay Area. Yes we have some intolerance but so does the Bay Area - it's just different things they are intolerant of. Diversity is the same here. I own a sports bar in a "white" suburb and my crowd is 2p% black, 30% hispanic, 40% white and the other 10% is a mix. Granted it's a younger crowd, the places that cater to 40+ are whiter but my point is everyone gets along.

Old 11-11-2017, 09:15 PM

510 posts, read 371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MovingForward View Post
So here is my I'm situation. I'm divorced. Live in Orange County. I am in the situation where I can sell my house and buy something cash. I've considered moving out of state because I can get more for my money. I've considered Texas and Arizona where I can get a nice house cash. Should I move? If so where? Career wise I am an esthetician so would have to apply for a new license in another state which I'm ok with. I basically work in high end retail and spa industry so I would like to stay in areas that would have that for work and of course low crime is a priority. Thanks!

Would you want to avoid states that have winters with snow and below freezing temps? If so, that would eliminate a great many states. If it doesn't matter, you can get a house in almost any state for $250K or even less. But down south they don't have basements to go into if a tornado is coming. There's so many things to consider, you'd probably have to make a long list of pluses and minuses and even then perhaps assign each a point value. I live in MN, suburban region with low crime. I don't like 4-6 mo. winter, but if
it is warm, we have beautiful green grass and green trees, park within 1/2 mile of each home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California