Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2017, 05:32 PM

4 posts, read 2,944 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I have gone out of country on a project for almost two and half years. My license expired two years ago. After reading through DMV site, I understand I need to apply for a new license. What I don't understand is, do I write the exam again, do I take the driving test again, etc. Can someone please provide some information.

Also, how does this impact my insurance? Will it go up since I didn't have any license and insurance in the US for the past two years.

Thanks a lot for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 08:29 PM

19,221 posts, read 16,701,480 times
Seriously?? I don't think any of us here work for the DMV so maybe you could just give 'em a call and find out. Wouldn't that be easier AND accurate information instead of following the suggestions of a bunch of strangers online? <sigh>

Old 10-24-2017, 08:45 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,457,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansrikanth View Post
Hello,
I have gone out of country on a project for almost two and half years. My license expired two years ago. After reading through DMV site, I understand I need to apply for a new license. What I don't understand is, do I write the exam again, do I take the driving test again, etc. Can someone please provide some information.

Also, how does this impact my insurance? Will it go up since I didn't have any license and insurance in the US for the past two years.

Thanks a lot for your help.
Make an appointment at your local DMV. You'll be taking the written test. You could be taking the driving test again--expect to be doing so. Make sure someone else drives you to DMV, since you're not currently licensed to drive.

The insurance question would be between you and your insurance company. They make take into account that you were out of the country--I don't know, ask them.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:25 AM

Default Have you been on the phone with DMV ever?

Thanks for your advice but have you ever been on the phone with DMV? It sometimes takes hours. Anyway, before I saw these responses, I was on the line with DMV for 2 hours + and after the line got disconnected, I went to local DMV office, waited in line and then got the info.

In case you missed how the internet works - we all try to help each other in forums so that these responses form a knowledgebase for others who have similar needs in the future. So the generous folks who responded to my question not only could've solved my issue, but also many others in future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Seriously?? I don't think any of us here work for the DMV so maybe you could just give 'em a call and find out. Wouldn't that be easier AND accurate information instead of following the suggestions of a bunch of strangers online? <sigh>

Old 10-30-2017, 09:44 AM

Thank you, I was told by DMV that I need to take written test. Driving test was not necessary. Insurance is something I may have to just get once I have the license.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
Make an appointment at your local DMV. You'll be taking the written test. You could be taking the driving test again--expect to be doing so. Make sure someone else drives you to DMV, since you're not currently licensed to drive.

The insurance question would be between you and your insurance company. They make take into account that you were out of the country--I don't know, ask them.

Old 10-30-2017, 10:06 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansrikanth View Post
In case you missed how the internet works - we all try to help each other in forums so that these responses form a knowledgebase for others who have similar needs in the future. So the generous folks who responded to my question not only could've solved my issue, but also many others in future.
You should expect to get pushback when the information you seek is -- in the case of the DMV -- publicly available and -- in the case of your insurance company -- impossible for any of us to know.

Old 10-30-2017, 11:15 AM

10,905 posts, read 7,393,957 times
Thanks for sharing the process.
My HI license lapsed by a few weeks (oops, forgot), but it wasn't a big deal to renew. Clearly a different case.
And HI DMV is a pleasant dream compared to CA. Short lines, pleasant workers.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:12 AM

It takes less time to search online compared to creating an account on an online forum and then ask a question. There is no answer anywhere on the internet that said whether I had to take just the written test or driving test or both. Everywhere it is said written and/or driving test. So before one jumps in to correct others, try to give benefit of doubt that the other person may have done some research and probably didn't get any conclusive answer. Even in this forum, there was no conclusive answer. So I am hoping someone in my situation would benefit from the knowledge I gained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
You should expect to get pushback when the information you seek is -- in the case of the DMV -- publicly available and -- in the case of your insurance company -- impossible for any of us to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California