Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2006, 07:55 PM

13 posts, read 73,814 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I've visited Cali just once: Berkeley in July, and there were no mosquitos in town. I spent many hours in the eucalyptus/brushy hills above town and encountered maybe 2 mosquitos up there... i.e. virtually zero. And there were no other biting insects, nor any flies or gnats with an annoying affinity for humans.

Is this true on the central coast, and is it true year-round? Are there any seaside vs inland differences (or other microclimatic differences) in vexatious insects? I'm looking at SLO, SB, Lompoc, Morro Bay, Grover Beach, etc. I basically like to be outdoors as much as I possibly can, especially in the mountains and where few people are around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2006, 11:40 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,470,137 times
In general, mosquito populations are low along the West Coast because a Mediterranean climate is hostile to their life cycle. Mosquitos generally breed in the spring and need to spend a larval period in an environment of stagnant water. But spring is the end of the rainy season. From June through October there is little if any rain at all and most seasonal wetlands dry up. And since the Coast Range provides fairly consistent drainage toward the coast, most bodies of water (rivers and streams) on the windward side are in constant motion. There are always small amounts of stagnant water here and there and no place is entirely mosquito-free, but you can't compare it to places that have permanent ponds and lakes during the summer. Gnats are sometimes found in the countryside, but they are usually just swarming gnats and not those that bite.
There are differences inland, and some of the areas up in the Sierras can be quite buggy from July through October because of snow-melt ponding where mosquitos are able to breed during summer and build up significant populations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California