Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 08:41 PM

493 posts, read 636,645 times

Advertisements

It seems as if Stockton is a miserable place, I know that there have been some forclosures in that area, but does stockton have its good points? Doesn't the valley have something to offer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 04:34 PM

19 posts, read 41,351 times
I drive through Stockton sometimes and it's an ugly, dirty town. You look in the car next to you only to see mexican thugs. This is probably the big reason that makes the town miserable. I also don't see anything to do in Stockton... just some restaurants and a movie theater or two. There's a lot better counties just 40 minutes away.

Old 03-28-2008, 04:42 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
From what I've read, Stockton is the Bay Area's equivalent of LA's Antelope Valley. Its a place where cheap real estate lured people during the boom. Its also where the trash got pushed if the post above is accurate. Its also ground zero for the subprime crash. And don't forget that its hotter than hell in the summer.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:19 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
There are some awfully nice neighborhoods in Stockton West of I-5. It's a pretty diverse city.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:41 PM

398 posts, read 1,331,246 times
Default Question about Stockton,CA

This is for White Chocolate. Stockton is like an El Paso Tx or a smaller Fresno,CA.Lots of Mexican Americans,Immigrant mexicans,and Blacks,some White as well.Me being Latino,its cool to visit to see a "friend",LOL. They'res some beautiful latinas there,but alot of them are really hood.Plus the Gangs are extremly deep out there.I wouldn't live there.San Jose is a better city,and more to offer.Peace

Old 04-07-2008, 05:38 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,074,903 times
stockton has the worst crime rate of ay metro area in Cali and has pretty high unemployment

Old 04-07-2008, 11:38 PM

38 posts, read 264,335 times
Wow, racism appears rampant on this forum!!! Now to answer your question from someone who is actually FROM Stockton and not a "drive-by"....there are good and bad parts in mostly every town. What does it have to offer..depends on what you're looking for. It has what most cities have...most people go to work, come home to a decent house, go to the movies, shop, etc. Normal daily routines. The positives: Low housing prices, centrally located....not more than 2 hours to beach, mountains, San Francisco, Yosemite. It is a Culturally diverse community. The "Delta"...if you like boating/water skiing. Lodi is right up the road with many wineries, they even have a wine trail to follow and a wine visitor's center. We are home to the annual asparagus festival.
Not that this city doesn't have it's problems...but there are some very nice areas to live in and there are some areas that any person with some common sense would know to stay away from...but even in these areas, people go to and from there homes every day without any problems.
As far as night life.....I would say it is very limited, so if you are looking for that...I would look for a bigger city.
Life is what you make is and so is where you live...

Old 04-25-2008, 10:09 PM

40 posts, read 179,004 times
I was just in stockton a couple months ago and if i would have read all the things people said about it i would have been scared to go there. It was not bad at all people on here make it seem like if you walk down the road you are going to get robbed or killed or jumped or whatever. I am a young female and i was out running around shopping and i did not feel unsafe at all. Yes it did seem a little ghetto security in burlington and other shopping centers not really use to that. I've read a lot of storys about people getting there cars broken into but that happens everywhere. Alot of time we are at fault for that leaving things in our car that people see and want. Stereo system that is the first thing people look for when they look in your window. Alarm or no alarm... I have been a victum of that already. Just thought i'd put my two sense in hope this helps somebody.

Old 04-26-2008, 02:13 AM

107 posts, read 1,007,638 times
I lived in Stockton for about a year and a half (back in 2000/01) and really liked it! Yes, there are crappy areas, like any city. There are also good areas, diversity, natural beauty, and things to do. It's close to the foothills, and an easy drive to Sacramento. I sent my son to public school there (something I will not do here in Oceanside) and he enjoyed it.

I miss all the abundant fresh produce at the farm stands, the slower pace of life, the Delta, trips to gold country, and Old Town Sacramento.

If you are looking for an all-white, upper class city, Stockton isn't it, though there are some subdivisions there that meet that qualification.

Old 04-26-2008, 01:05 PM

979 posts, read 2,092,631 times
I found Stockton alright. I'm from Sac, but rarely do I go to Stockton. There isnt much things to do there. Its lacking cultural amenities. As far as the gang problem, I hear its pretty bad, probably worse than Sac, which is twice the size of Stockton. But I can care less whats going on there and I really dont venture out through the central valley. It has a nice waterfront tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California