Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 07:30 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,771,072 times

Advertisements

Our roads and freeways should all be smooth as glass with all the damn taxes we pay out! I mean seriously, there’s streets where I live that have not been paved in the 20+years I’ve lived in San Diego.

What’s the excuse? The answer is simple, it’s the legislature and politicians mismanaging our tax dollars and not prioritizing it how it’s supposed to be.

This additional tax is hurting low income folks, and everyone in between. Its additional tax that bypassed voters which really pissed off a lot of Californians. It’s unfair, and seriously just another way for the state to make money, and Jerry Brown is crying that if the repeal passes, we won’t have any money to fix our infrastructure. Please!

The state receives billions of dollars a year from our already high gas tax, registration fees and other taxes to pay for repairs.

I truly believe the repeal will pass by large margins with bipartisan votes.

The poor Democrat minority's will vote to repeal it, but my concern will be the rich liberals and hardcore environmentalist voting to keep the tax since the environmentalists probably don’t own cars and are full of themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 08:04 PM

957 posts, read 758,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
This tax hurts so many struggling families trying to put food on the table. Seniors on fixed income, students paying expensive tuition, and low wage earners will see their already meager income reduced even more by this inhumane tax.

This tax won't hurt everyone. It won't hurt the politicians who voted for it. It won't hurt public employee unions who pushed for this tax because they know a good chunk of the money collected will go to them. And it won't hurt construction companies who will be awarded with contracts.

And as predicted, they are spending money and working hard to scare people. They brazenly say, "If we don't get the money, these projects will have to be cancelled and terrible things will happen to you." If these scare tactics sound familiar, it is because we have heard them many times before. Instilling fears and holding taxpayers hostage have often worked for them.

They took away our right to decide on this tax when they voted for it. It's time to say to the political establishment, "Enough is enough." It's time to take back our right as voters.
An additional 12 cents a gallon and increased registration fees are a lot less expensive than having to replace suspension parts and wheels after hitting some pot holes. An alignment alone runs in the neighborhood of $100, it was included when they replaced my ball joints for $680.00. I might add that these expenses are a lot higher than they were in 1996, the last time our gas tax was adjusted. Materials and labor rates have also increased. Sure, they can still do patchwork here and there at the current level but you're still going to have to deal with pot holes and uneven surfaces.

I ride a motorcycle and have come upon some intersections where it's a challenge to stop due to the condition of the road. Where there's suppose to be pavement, you see rocks!

Old 06-26-2018, 08:42 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
Am I the only person who has not noticed that 12 cent tax in the light of the price of gas going up nearly a dollar in the last year? Why is it ok for big oil to gouge us, but not ok to have the State raise the gas tax?

Old 06-26-2018, 08:59 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellowmike View Post
An additional 12 cents a gallon and increased registration fees are a lot less expensive than having to replace suspension parts and wheels after hitting some pot holes. An alignment alone runs in the neighborhood of $100, it was included when they replaced my ball joints for $680.00. I might add that these expenses are a lot higher than they were in 1996, the last time our gas tax was adjusted. Materials and labor rates have also increased. Sure, they can still do patchwork here and there at the current level but you're still going to have to deal with pot holes and uneven surfaces.

I ride a motorcycle and have come upon some intersections where it's a challenge to stop due to the condition of the road. Where there's suppose to be pavement, you see rocks!
This is a lot of why I think there will be bipartisan support for the repeal. I, for one, don't have any faith that the roads around where I live will be fixed. They're so bad, they are literally crumbling apart. It's beyond pot holes. And anyone who has lived as long as I have, has learned which neighborhoods get the money and the nicer roads, and it ain't gonna be mine.

And as mentioned, it just sticks in one's craw that we didn't get to vote on it. I know we need money for infrastructure, but don't cram it down my throat and then try and make me believe that the horrid roads in my particular neighborhood will actually get fixed with this tax money. I just don't believe it.

Again, I do want to mention that I did vote for the bridge toll increases. If I'm given the chance to actually vote on taxes, I'll often vote for them. And I would have just lived with the latest tax increase, although it irritated me.

But, now I have the opportunity to send a message to Sacramento, that you better ask my permission from now on. That's a bipartisan message. I don't have to get on board with Jerry Brown's agenda to make some kind of legacy before he goes for leaving with a surplus in the coffers, at my expense, without my permission.

He, and the Sacto legislature just really did take this one too far. They should have expected a revolution.

I also did vote to oust Gov. Gray Davis back when, even though I'm Democrat and so was he, because he spent all of his time fund-raising and not listening to his constituents. And I wasn't the only Dem to do so, as was evident in the fact that he was actually recalled.

So, just because someone is Democrat doesn't mean the Dems in this state will vote for them, or get or stay on board with their agenda.

Anyway, the smart thing Gov. Brown can do now, is quickly write a bill that we might want to actually vote on that can be an alternative to the repeal. Because I think he's gonna lose that battle at this point.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:13 PM

957 posts, read 758,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Our roads and freeways should all be smooth as glass with all the damn taxes we pay out! I mean seriously, there’s streets where I live that have not been paved in the 20+years I’ve lived in San Diego.

What’s the excuse? The answer is simple, it’s the legislature and politicians mismanaging our tax dollars and not prioritizing it how it’s supposed to be.

This additional tax is hurting low income folks, and everyone in between. Its additional tax that bypassed voters which really pissed off a lot of Californians. It’s unfair, and seriously just another way for the state to make money, and Jerry Brown is crying that if the repeal passes, we won’t have any money to fix our infrastructure. Please!

The state receives billions of dollars a year from our already high gas tax, registration fees and other taxes to pay for repairs.

I truly believe the repeal will pass by large margins with bipartisan votes.

The poor Democrat minority's will vote to repeal it, but my concern will be the rich liberals and hardcore environmentalist voting to keep the tax since the environmentalists probably don’t own cars and are full of themselves.
How are they mismanaging our tax dollars? We had some wet winters along the way in which they had to spend more on snow removal than expected. We lost some roads due to landslides. Labor costs and material have increased. With the recent tariffs imposed, you can expect cost of materials to rise even more.

Levying taxes is the job of the legislature and it took a 2/3 vote to pass the tax. Shouldn't it then require a 2/3 vote by the public to repeal it? High cost of replacing the car's suspension is also hard on the low income folks, plus they're without a car until the repairs are finished. How they going to get to work with no car? The environmentalists are looking at more efficient public transportation, as am I, as it takes cars off the road which leads to less congestion. I would think most drivers would be in favor of reduced congestion. And I'm a retired person, who leans a little left of center and hardly considered rich.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
How are they mismanaging our tax dollars? We had some wet winters along the way in which they had to spend more on snow removal than expected. We lost some roads due to landslides. Labor costs and material have increased. With the recent tariffs imposed, you can expect cost of materials to rise even more.

Levying taxes is the job of the legislature and it took a 2/3 vote to pass the tax. Shouldn't it then require a 2/3 vote by the public to repeal it? High cost of replacing the car's suspension is also hard on the low income folks, plus they're without a car until the repairs are finished. How they going to get to work with no car? The environmentalists are looking at more efficient public transportation, as am I, as it takes cars off the road which leads to less congestion. I would think most drivers would be in favor of reduced congestion. And I'm a retired person, who leans a little left of center and hardly considered rich.
I'm extremely low income, but this argument just doesn't hold water with me.

If I continue to pay this tax and the DMV fees, is there a guarantee that all of the roads I drive on will get fixed immediately, so I don't hit any pot holes? What is the honest likelihood of that happening?

And if I pay this tax, and they don't fix the roads where I drive, and I end up with a car repair due to hitting a pot hole, is the state going to pay my mechanic?

Anyone who has been around as long as I have knows that even if we pay higher taxes to fix the roads, that pretty much never equates to fixing the roads in my neighborhood. They may fix the highways or some main thoroughfares, but not most of the surface roads I drive on.

So, this argument is not a winning one. You won't convince me that if I willingly pay this tax, that I will no longer be driving on streets with pot holes, and will therefore, not have any kind of mechanical work that needs to be done on my vehicle due to pot holes.

Point being, they need to come up with a better argument to convince people like me that I should not repeal this tax.

Most Democrats in California are pretty smart people. They need to come up with an argument that doesn't insult our intelligence. This "you won't have any car maintenance expenses if you pay for this tax" argument is insulting.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:25 PM

Quote:

I'm extremely low income, but this argument just doesn't hold water with me.

If I continue to pay this tax and the DMV fees, is there a guarantee that all of the roads I drive on will get fixed immediately, so I don't hit any pot holes? What is the honest likelihood of that happening?

And if I pay this tax, and they don't fix the roads where I drive, and I end up with a car repair due to hitting a pot hole, is the state going to pay my mechanic?

Anyone who has been around as long as I have knows that even if we pay higher taxes to fix the roads, that pretty much never equates to fixing the roads in my neighborhood. They may fix the highways or some main thoroughfares, but not most of the surface roads I drive on.

So, this argument is not a winning one. You won't convince me that if I willingly pay this tax, that I will no longer be driving on streets with pot holes, and will therefore, not have any kind of mechanical work that needs to be done on my vehicle due to pot holes.

Point being, they need to come up with a better argument to convince people like me that I should not repeal this tax.

Most Democrats in California are pretty smart people. They need to come up with an argument that doesn't insult our intelligence. This "you won't have any car maintenance expenses related to bad roads if you pay for this tax, and that will be more than worth the cost of the added fees and higher gas prices" argument is insulting.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:26 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,741,053 times
The following quote is from the "Sacramento Bee" online edition.

"In the CalPERS system, the highest-earning pensioner in 2016 was Michael D. Johnson, who retired as Solano County administrator in 2011, following 43 years of public service, the latest CalPERS data show. His 2016 pension was about $390,000.

A few employees in the CalSTRS system received large, one-time payments that do not reflect their annual pension. The Bee excluded those employees from its analysis by removing CalSTRS retirees who earned a 2017 payout that was 50 percent higher than their normal pension.

After that adjustment, the highest-earning pensioner in 2017 was William Habermehl, who served as Orange County superintendent of schools until retiring six years ago. He retired with 47 years of state service. His 2017 pension was about $370,000, according to the latest CalSTRS data.

Stay in the know about state workers, unions and public pensions with a 99-cent subscription deal for state workers. Subscribe to The Sacramento Bee"

Maybe this quote helps to explain the need for another tax increase in California.

Old 06-26-2018, 10:04 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,433,296 times
You can bet at least some of this tax money is going to public employee unions pensions.

Old 06-27-2018, 04:23 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
You can bet at least some of this tax money is going to public employee unions pensions.
Last time you said all will go towards pensions. Is it some or all? Proof?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California