Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2019, 07:23 PM

243 posts, read 228,569 times

Advertisements

I registered my truck and got my California DL last week here in San Diego and I was over charged for my registration. The model year on my registeration says the correct year but there’s a box with an asterisk that says YR and it says 2018. I asked the lady why it was so high compared to what the website said when I entered my vin and she said that’s just CA. I felt something was off.

They never had me look twice at the information to ensure it’s correct and I didn’t notice it until I looked at the card today. So they’re taxing me for a vehicle that’s 17 years newer than mine ? Nice.

[mod cut]

Last edited by volosong; 11-01-2019 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: expletive deleted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2019, 12:08 AM

2,502 posts, read 1,293,748 times
They tax you for the amount that you put in your title.

I guess if your car is registered as 2018, you should be lucky to avoid doing smog check for 7 years.

Old 11-01-2019, 12:19 AM

2,410 posts, read 4,453,164 times
Did you purchase it in 2018? That's generally what the asterisk year means and the fees and depreciation schedule are based on the year of purchase.

From the DMV website:

Asterisk Year—Usually the year when a vehicle is transferred to a new owner, a nonresident purchased the vehicle, or an alteration places the vehicle in a different VLF class.

Your fees are based on the combination of year purchased and purchase price.

And to answer the above person, SMOG is based on year model, not year purchased.

Old 11-01-2019, 08:35 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dg628 View Post
I registered my truck and got my California DL last week here in San Diego and I was over charged for my registration. The model year on my registeration says the correct year but there’s a box with an asterisk that says YR and it says 2018. I asked the lady why it was so high compared to what the website said when I entered my vin and she said that’s just CA. I felt something was off.

They never had me look twice at the information to ensure it’s correct and I didn’t notice it until I looked at the card today. So they’re taxing me for a vehicle that’s 17 years newer than mine ? Nice.

[mod cut]
Your vehicle registration is based on a few factors.
Year purchased
Price purchased
Type of vehicle

Of you bought it last year, California charges use tax. This prevents people from buying a car out of state then trying to register it here without paying taxes on the purchase. Within the first year of purchase.

As the seller of a used car rarely collects the tax on a purchase....You pay use tax if you bought the car on the price paid if it’s used.

The type of vehicle makes a difference as to your registration fees. Trucks are all co soldered commercial vehicles so they have a commercial fee. There was a way to opt out of that by having a camper on the vehicle but I’m pretty sure they got rid of that opt out.

Passenger cars have different fees as they are passenger not commercial vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenze View Post
They tax you for the amount that you put in your title.

I guess if your car is registered as 2018, you should be lucky to avoid doing smog check for 7 years.
Why? All my cars pass smog without any issues and they aren’t new

Last edited by volosong; 11-01-2019 at 01:42 PM..

Old 11-01-2019, 09:22 AM

243 posts, read 228,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
Did you purchase it in 2018? That's generally what the asterisk year means and the fees and depreciation schedule are based on the year of purchase.

From the DMV website:

Asterisk Year—Usually the year when a vehicle is transferred to a new owner, a nonresident purchased the vehicle, or an alteration places the vehicle in a different VLF class.

Your fees are based on the combination of year purchased and purchase price.

And to answer the above person, SMOG is based on year model, not year purchased.
That doesn’t sound right to me , neither does 320$ for a 20 yr old truck. I paid 500$ for it without a transmission and I tried to show the lady the bill of sale but she wasn’t intrested so she based it of the value which can’t be anymore than 3k.

Old 11-01-2019, 01:37 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,453,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dg628 View Post
That doesn’t sound right to me , neither does 320$ for a 20 yr old truck. I paid 500$ for it without a transmission and I tried to show the lady the bill of sale but she wasn’t interested so she based it of the value which can’t be anymore than 3k.
What size truck is it? A little pickup (under 6,000 pounds) has a yearly weight fee of $87. A full-size pickup is $266 a year.

Ok, everything you were charged will be listed on your receipt/registration card. The value of your truck is shown under "Class" and $500 is AD. Is that what it says?

The license fee for that value is $3 and would be listed as "VLF." Is that what VLF shows?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California