Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2018, 01:06 AM

2 posts, read 917 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife and I are looking to relocate to Southern California.

I'm a home health Physical Therapist and I'm starting a job August 15th.

My wife is an ICU nurse and has an offer in Long Beach (for a September start), but really is hoping to get an offer at UCLA (Santa Monica, interview is on August 13).

Since I need to look for apartments now. Where is a good place to look? Moderately priced 2-3 bedroom apartments. Perhaps somewhere in the middle between Santa Monica and Long Beach as we don't know yet where she will end up. She doesn't like to drive too far (hoping for a 30 min commute). As for me, I love driving and would not mind a longer commute.

She applied for night shift positions. so her shift will probably be 7pm to 7:30am.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2018, 10:01 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,535,741 times
What is your budget?

Old 07-30-2018, 09:03 AM

2 posts, read 917 times
I can afford max of 2500$ a month for rent.

Old 08-02-2018, 03:28 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,652,458 times
Start with these sites:

Apartments.com
Zillow.com
Trulia.com
Craigslist (watch for scams)

You might want to consider a six month lease initially, which would give you time to get settled and figure out what locations would be best for your work commutes.

A useful site to check local crime for specific addresses is crimemapping.com/ Be sure to set the date range to the last six months; the default setting only shows a week's worth of data, which will be deceptive. I'd recommend running a search on your CURRENT address before hand, so you have something for comparison.

Finally, since you're going to be working in the general LA area, you might post your question in the LA forum above, where you're likely to get more specific answers about neighborhoods to consider than here in the general California forum.

Good luck with your move, and welcome to California.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:19 AM

136 posts, read 141,037 times
Traffic is BRUTAL on the West side, which Santa Monica would be part of. If your looking for a 30 min commute then you will have to stay very close to Santa Monica, Mar Vista, Venice, or the marinas. The West Side can be some of the more expensive housing around LA. As to Long Beach and staying within 30 minuets I would stay in Long Beach or just East, like Seal Beach or Signal Hill. West of long Beach and parts of Long Beach itself are less than savory so look around.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:12 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,723,995 times
Most two-bedroom units in the neighborhoods around the VA Hospital in Long Beach are, generally, in the $2,400-2,800 range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California