Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 10:26 AM

10,348 posts, read 8,567,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
This is probably one of the least visited and inhabited areas of the state. That's not to say you can't find some beautiful but remote places to enjoy there.

I used to live on the Front Range of CO. The biggest difference would be the lack of any major city or jobs nearby. Here's a website with some nice images of places to visit in Plumas County: https://www.pinterest.com/emilysgard...-home/?lp=true

I've heard they get great Fall colors like CO. https://www.discoverthelostsierra.or...electronic.pdf

Probably the biggest problem is that these areas are overshadowed by such amazing, world renown locations to the south which includes places like Yosemite NP, Lake Tahoe, Kings Canyon NP, Sequoia NP, the eastern Sierra near Mammoth Mountain, June Lake and then High Sierra area near Mt.Whitney, the highest peak int the lower 48 and Death Valley.

All of these have eye popping beauty year round including Aspen forests in the Fall. And they are closer to where the majority of folks live. Here's some shots I took near Bishop.

Derek
When I. Grow up I want to take pictures like you.
Thanks for the links
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 11:23 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
When I. Grow up I want to take pictures like you.
Thanks for the links
Haha, thanks, aslowdodge.

Derek

Old 08-04-2018, 11:40 AM

231 posts, read 250,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I used to live in rural western WA far from any real resources. Even when I was young, it was a pain. If you forget to buy something you need during your major shopping trip 30 miles down a winding mountain road - and back - it is a major PITA. There will probably be a small mom and pop store you can go to, that will charge you an arm and a leg, and maybe they'll actually have what you forgot to buy on your major shopping trip.

But, depending on weather, your major shopping trips can even be white-knuckle for a good part of the year, if you live on mountain roads that aren't plowed regularly, or the roads get black ice, or deer run out onto the highway, on and on.

I once rode in a car with a woman who was in labor to get her to the hospital down that winding mountain road for 30 miles. It was really harrowing.

So, you just have to decide what you're willing to give up for what you'd gain. For me, now, I'd rather put up with traffic and crowds and have most amenities within just a few miles and zero chance of snow - than deal with what I dealt with in the boonies in WA.

What I've given up in return, is land that was my own, the ability to grow a huge garden and have farm animals. I do really miss that. But, I'm happier here, where I also have lots of amenities like amazing libraries, volunteer opportunities, shopping, health care, etc.

Of course, you can always go with the notion that it might not be forever, too, and just enjoy it as long as it's enjoyable for you.

Those are actually some excellent points that most people don't share about living further out in the country. Distance and road conditions to hospitals, big box stores, events and things to do for your kids, etc. can make a huge difference for different families. Having to drive down the hill or all of your kids' sporting events can add up quickly.

Old 08-07-2018, 06:09 PM

114 posts, read 111,335 times
Despite what some are saying here,
there're lush conifer forests all over NorthEastern California, specifically in Plumas and Sierra, and in some of the Lassen counties. There're also lush wildflower meadows. Not by any means any kind of "barren" landscape, quite the opposite in these counteis. Mountain rivers, river canyons, green landscapes, a lot of lakes.
Dry and barren, only starts in part of Lassen and in Modoc. And yes, there're small towns and vacation homes all over these forests and properties got water just fine. Big part of territory of these counties is taken up by National Forests (Lassen Volcanic NP is technically outside Lassen county boundaries)

Source: I owned a home in Plumas county and camped around 3 of the mentioned counties a lot plus some in Modoc. If add Siskiyou county (with Mt Shasta and all) into this group (where it should be, really), I take this whole area over any Tahoe/Yosemite/Mammoth overcrowded tourist traps any day.

Last edited by sierranevada1; 08-07-2018 at 07:11 PM..

Old 08-07-2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
To sum it up in two words: Conservative, Rural
And they like to keep it this way and not rushed or crowded. Del Norte State. The State of Jefferson.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:51 PM

5,355 posts, read 5,132,164 times
Thanks for the replies again! It certainly does look beautiful.

The volcanic cindercones and vents look really cool! That's one of the things that really perks my interest in visiting.

There is always a trade off between distance and price / serenity, and the distance can really limit how many town activities one can do. This prevents working people from living in these areas, but not necessarily retirees and second homes. It looks so similar to mountain retreat places in CO, but it seems to be lacking the resort / big money pockets. Maybe cause there's no ski areas?

By stepping back in time for CA, is it like stepping back in time in general (antiques and old tech) or a more frontier feel?

I wonder how much of the conservative views are just a fact of the area being rural? It seems like all rural places are conservative.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post

I wonder how much of the conservative views are just a fact of the area being rural? It seems like all rural places are conservative.
At least in California, there're 5 types of rural:
- conservative classic rural
- weed-growing rural, which are large regions, they are the opposite of conservative
- areas where classic rural is being replaced by vacation and retirement homes of people from big coastal liberal cities, and you have the mix
- wealthy coastal rural, think Sonoma county vineyards, liberal areas
- rural areas of Central Valley, with heavy population of illegal work force, there's a mix of everything.

Northeastern CA is classic rural.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Thanks for the replies again! It certainly does look beautiful.

By stepping back in time for CA, is it like stepping back in time in general (antiques and old tech) or a more frontier feel?
I think it depends on concrete location and hard to generalize... can depend on a town and how deep in the boonies you got yourself. You can see both. Yep, you can even find "hills have eyes", "paddle faster" moment. And 50 miles away you can just find a gentle version of old times atmosphere.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewjube View Post
Heaven on earth, but few jobs. For most Californians living in the more densely populated coastal area, it is too far to drive (and not easily accessible by air/train) when other attractive destinations are much closer.
Ones working from home have their job where they're...in Northeastern CA, though, specifically in 4 counties mentioned here, getting decent internet connection suitable for work can be a huge pain or just not doable.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:08 PM

191 posts, read 311,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierranevada1 View Post
At least in California, there're 5 types of rural:
- conservative classic rural
- weed-growing rural, which are large regions, they are the opposite of conservative
- areas where classic rural is being replaced by vacation and retirement homes of people from big coastal liberal cities, and you have the mix
- wealthy coastal rural, think Sonoma county vineyards, liberal areas
- rural areas of Central Valley, with heavy population of illegal work force, there's a mix of everything.

Northeastern CA is classic rural.

I agree. And a lot of that conservatism is expressed in keeping out of your neighbors' business and maintaining a live and let live attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California