Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2010, 05:20 PM

19 posts, read 81,454 times

Advertisements

is it a good school, good academic reputation, good social life for a commuting school, things to do outside of campus, nice people, have fun?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 08:11 PM

79 posts, read 386,215 times
Very friendly people, great social life, excellent academics (one of the best Cal State's), and it has been voted the most beautiful campus in the California State University System.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:32 PM

987 posts, read 1,746,953 times
My daughter attends college there & loves it! I agree w/the above poster. Despite being located in the city of San Bernardino, the campus itself & surrounding area is nice, she has met & made alot of friends (2nd year now), seems do have alot of social events going on there and from ppl I know that are alumni have mentioned it offers a wide range of Certificate, Bachelors and Masters programs...

Old 02-09-2011, 11:33 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,975,362 times
The actual campus is cool. Its a pretty small campus compared to most Cal States. It's relatively flat so its an easy walk too. The thing about it is...its in San Bernardino. The area near the campus is good but most of the city sucks. I mean, its about 2 miles away from the 215 exit and the area next to the exit is not nice at all. I've been thinking of taking my Masters program there since its a good program and I live close.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:41 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,381,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salcan View Post
Very friendly people, great social life, excellent academics (one of the best Cal State's), and it has been voted the most beautiful campus in the California State University System.
I'm surprised to hear it was voted the most beautiful campus? I attended SDSU and CSUSB, and SDSU is definitely prettier. I've never seen any of the other CSU campuses, so I have no idea which is the best looking - but just comparing the two I do know, CSUSB would not be my pick for most beautiful.

As for the rest, it's definitely a commuter school - even more so than SDSU - and I didn't see much in the way of social activities.

That said, CSUSB does have some benefits! Getting into the classes you need is easy. I heard other students complain about how hard it was, but compared to SDSU, it's possible, and that's a huge plus - especially if you want to complete your degree in four or five years, instead of six... And parking is easy! Parking is such a headache at SDSU I had to arrive hours early the first half of each semester, but at CSUSB there's plenty of parking, and since it's such a small campus, everything is close.

The drawbacks? I had really great professors at SDSU - really great! My professors at CSUSB just didn't compare - you may have a different experience if you have a different major - but it was a big difference for me personally. I also noticed a difference in the other students. At SDSU there were of course serious and not-so-serious students, but at the very least everyone seemed capable of participating in a university class. At CSUSB there was a large percentage of students in all my classes, who were really struggling, and that impacted what everyone learned. And I was in upper division classes.

My advice would be to go to CSUSB if you want to quickly and efficiently finish your degree, and if you need to schedule your classes around your job, or other responsibilities.

But if you're looking for a beautiful campus, an active college social life, and to be challenged intellectually, there might be other CSU campuses that may a better fit.

And just for the record, I might go back to CSUSB! Quickly and efficiently finishing a degree is more compelling to me at this point, than a pretty campus!

Old 04-10-2011, 01:03 AM

79 posts, read 386,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
I'm surprised to hear it was voted the most beautiful campus? I attended SDSU and CSUSB, and SDSU is definitely prettier. I've never seen any of the other CSU campuses, so I have no idea which is the best looking - but just comparing the two I do know, CSUSB would not be my pick for most beautiful.

As for the rest, it's definitely a commuter school - even more so than SDSU - and I didn't see much in the way of social activities.

That said, CSUSB does have some benefits! Getting into the classes you need is easy. I heard other students complain about how hard it was, but compared to SDSU, it's possible, and that's a huge plus - especially if you want to complete your degree in four or five years, instead of six... And parking is easy! Parking is such a headache at SDSU I had to arrive hours early the first half of each semester, but at CSUSB there's plenty of parking, and since it's such a small campus, everything is close.

The drawbacks? I had really great professors at SDSU - really great! My professors at CSUSB just didn't compare - you may have a different experience if you have a different major - but it was a big difference for me personally. I also noticed a difference in the other students. At SDSU there were of course serious and not-so-serious students, but at the very least everyone seemed capable of participating in a university class. At CSUSB there was a large percentage of students in all my classes, who were really struggling, and that impacted what everyone learned. And I was in upper division classes.

My advice would be to go to CSUSB if you want to quickly and efficiently finish your degree, and if you need to schedule your classes around your job, or other responsibilities.

But if you're looking for a beautiful campus, an active college social life, and to be challenged intellectually, there might be other CSU campuses that may a better fit.

And just for the record, I might go back to CSUSB! Quickly and efficiently finishing a degree is more compelling to me at this point, than a pretty campus!
The university was voted the nicest in the CSU system, here's the link: California State University, San Bernardino in San Bernardino CA - AboutRedlands.com
I guess it's personal preference... and the professors are great, they know their stuff. Student's study and take their academics seriously, at least the one's I've met. Many top graduating student's choose this school because there are many scholarships available. It's a great and beautiful school (If you like mountain views) and it's highly rank among CSU's.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:29 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,381,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salcan View Post
The university was voted the nicest in the CSU system, here's the link: California State University, San Bernardino in San Bernardino CA - AboutRedlands.com
According to that link...

Quote:
In a survey done by the CSU, a higher percentage of students at the university listed CSUSB as "beautiful" than did students at any of the other 22 CSU campuses.
So the students polled weren't comparing campuses - they were just asked if the campus they attended was beautiful - and more said yes at CSUSB than any other campus. That's definitely interesting - and in fact, if I had been one of those polled, I would have said yes, CSUSB is in a beautiful location. But, if I had been asked to compare it to other campuses - and rank them - CSUSB would not have been my top choice.

I'm definitely considering going back next year - and looking forward to the fact that it's closer to my home than SDSU, parking is not an issue like it is at SDSU, and it's easier to get the classes you need, than it is at SDSU. A pretty campus is nice - but CSUSB has a lot more going for it than just the mountain range that lies behind it.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:19 AM

1 posts, read 888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wth110 View Post
is it a good school, good academic reputation, good social life for a commuting school, things to do outside of campus, nice people, have fun?
Good school: depends on what you're studying,for the price I'd say it is decent.
Off campus: San Bernardino city is NOT a good area to hang out, I'd recommend staying on campus, off campus during daylight only.
Nice people: mostly commuters as students I will say yes.
Fun: I was here only to learn not to have fun.
Other: the school always seems horribly disorganized, you pay less but you need to be in top of everything all the time. Staff is not the most helpful,hard to find the info you need.
Pay less=more work for you

Old 08-06-2018, 02:06 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,665,695 times
Another plus for attending CSU San Bernardino is the transit access. The campus is served by several transit agencies, including Omnitrans, the largest transit agency in the San Bernardino Valley region. Omnitrans operates the sbX Bus Rapid Transit line, which runs between the campus and Loma Linda University and connects to the San Bernardino Transit Center. The GoSmart Bus Program allows CSUSB students to ride Omnitrans free by showing their Coyote One student body card.

https://www.csusb.edu/parking/transp.../bus-metrolink

Old 08-06-2018, 03:58 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,460,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
According to that link...

So the students polled weren't comparing campuses - they were just asked if the campus they attended was beautiful - and more said yes at CSUSB than any other campus. That's definitely interesting - and in fact, if I had been one of those polled, I would have said yes, CSUSB is in a beautiful location. But, if I had been asked to compare it to other campuses - and rank them - CSUSB would not have been my top choice.
Yeah I read that link too, lol. It’s about as official as saying “World’s Greatest Dad”. I will say it’s in the nicest part of San Bernardino, and the mountains do make for a nice backdrop, especially in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California