Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 05:13 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,459,910 times

Advertisements

White flight has been a major trend in California. Much of it has been class based with the working and middle class leaving. The trend is accelerating with retirees.

I have never seen statistics that break down data by both ethnic and economic demographics. I have seen some economic data showing most of the inflow from other states is in the upper bracket while those leaving are middle and lower income.

Is California still a desirable destination for upper class Whites?

Old 12-08-2018, 05:54 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
If you're asking if people with a high income, who presumably therefore have no trouble with the COL of California, are leaving in appreciable numbers, the answer is no. Coastal California is still a very desirable location for the rich.

In my nearly 50 years in Orange County, I can think of very few high-income people who have left the state, although a great many who were financially struggling, retiring, or just starting in their careers have gone elsewhere.

Old 12-08-2018, 07:47 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,351,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
White flight has been a major trend in California. Much of it has been class based with the working and middle class leaving. The trend is accelerating with retirees.

I have never seen statistics that break down data by both ethnic and economic demographics. I have seen some economic data showing most of the inflow from other states is in the upper bracket while those leaving are middle and lower income.

It makes no difference to me. The SF Bay Area is my home, period. People can come and go all they want.
Why am I not surprised you're still at this, trying to racialize such an issue?

Old 12-08-2018, 08:06 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,555 times
I presume there is a statistically significant proportion of upper-class non-Hispanic whites who move out of California.

Based on all of the wealthy, Mainline Protestant church congregations on Lincoln Road, I would start with Paradise Valley, AZ.

Also, I personally knew about a half-dozen wealthy, Jewish ex-Californians while I was living in Boca Raton, FL many years ago.

Old 12-08-2018, 08:25 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,747,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post

Geez, all you do is opine about the flight of white folk, and you never make any sense. You trying to find data to back your opinions?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-f...-east-bay.html

Old 12-08-2018, 09:11 PM

4,629 posts, read 3,392,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
I presume there is a statistically significant proportion of upper-class non-Hispanic whites who move out of California.

Based on all of the wealthy, Mainline Protestant church congregations on Lincoln Road, I would start with Paradise Valley, AZ.

Also, I personally knew about a half-dozen wealthy, Jewish ex-Californians while I was living in Boca Raton, FL many years ago.
You running regressions there Bert? The answer is just the opposite of what you are suggesting.

Low-income folks moving out, high-income folks moving in.

The residents with lower income are moving to states like Texas, Nevada and Arizona. And more of those with higher incomes were coming into California from states like New York, Illinois, and New Jersey.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...htmlstory.html

Old 12-08-2018, 10:55 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,781,896 times
A lot of people I know that have graduated with STEM degrees have left the Midwest for Silicon Valley or Los Angeles. They're all white and upper-middle class.

That's only anecdotal though.

Old 12-09-2018, 01:14 AM

3,267 posts, read 3,929,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post

Low-income folks moving out, high-income folks moving in.
Great, time to raise the rents

Old 12-09-2018, 03:06 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,508,131 times
The non-Hispanic white population in California has dropped over two million since 1990. I imagine some are upper income.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:36 AM

716 posts, read 539,300 times
from my limited circle of friends and we are what i would say upper middle class - i left in April another in June - another in Aug and two more getting ready to sale and move

yea it think there is something to it - houses are at almost historic levels - stocks and 401k up 30% in two years - the crap with the illegals and tax this and put a fee on that - those that can are leaving - we could have stayed but why would i - traffic, have to speak foreign languages in lots of places, poor, sick welfare, trash , homeless, beggars on more and more street

i said f off to Jerry - and you are not getting any more from me -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California