Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 04:04 PM

21,866 posts, read 16,576,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
If you think "Americans" means only white people then you are the racist person..and if you say that immigrants from those world regions are by default 'undesirable' the same applies. Because neither one of those statements was actually in my post.

Statistics show that California has lost significantly more residents to other states than it has gained people from other states who moved to California. (California Out-Migration Intensifies, People Move South | Newgeography.com)

Statistics also show that California has seen significant immigration from outside the United States (much of which comes from the two regions I mentioned) that has helped cover up the departure of many locals to other states in terms of actual population numbers.

It's also by no means surprising or unusual that a location with a high COL (in order to maintain a standard of living that you deem acceptable or are accustomed to) can also be home to significant numbers of very poor people. It doesn't take a genius to figure out why either.
But what statistics don’t show is why that (how many move one way or the other) matters. Who cares?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 04:08 PM

19,352 posts, read 16,896,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
In either case of Fresno or Dallas, I would assume you don’t want to be outside in either.

Tornados or wildfires and earthquakes, pick your poison I guess.
You make it sound like every place in California is prone to wildfires. It's not. As for earthquakes, that's pretty normal everywhere in the state but not exclusive to California. I have to agree with FirebirdCamero, though. Living in a state with a 70+ dewpoint in summer is pretty bad. When you can't go outside for five minutes without looking like you just stepped out of the shower? I mean that's not pleasant. Not at all! To each their own.

Old 01-20-2019, 04:39 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,516,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
You make it sound like every place in California is prone to wildfires. It's not. As for earthquakes, that's pretty normal everywhere in the state but not exclusive to California. I have to agree with FirebirdCamero, though. Living in a state with a 70+ dewpoint in summer is pretty bad. When you can't go outside for five minutes without looking like you just stepped out of the shower? I mean that's not pleasant. Not at all! To each their own.
Sorry but I currently live in a State with high humidity and .... I can go out and so most things with ... no sweat. Yes if I exert myself strenuously I do get wet. The impact of Humidity is over blown and usually by those who like to bash other States. Kinda like those who make a big deal about earthquakes in CA. I have lived in several high humidity States and while it takes a little adjusting to, it isn't that big a deal, except for a few sissy's.

Old 01-20-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Sorry but I currently live in a State with high humidity and .... I can go out and so most things with ... no sweat. Yes if I exert myself strenuously I do get wet. The impact of Humidity is over blown and usually by those who like to bash other States. Kinda like those who make a big deal about earthquakes in CA. I have lived in several high humidity States and while it takes a little adjusting to, it isn't that big a deal, except for a few sissy's.
Look. I'm not a sissy. I don't tolerate humidity due to my asthma. I've been back east to visit friends and had to spend most days indoors. Because I adore my friends, I made the trip. Knowing it would be difficult, I did it anyway.

It's great there are so many like yourself who don't have problems with humidity. I wish I could be the same. And it's wonderful that you can go outdoors and enjoy the steam. I can't but like I said at the end of my last post ... to each their own. Make no mistake about it, though. I'm no sissy about anything in life.

Old 01-20-2019, 05:48 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,516,639 times
Quote:
Look. I'm not a sissy. I don't tolerate humidity due to my asthma. I've been back east to visit friends and had to spend most days indoors. Because I adore my friends, I made the trip. Knowing it would be difficult, I did it anyway.

It's great there are so many like yourself who don't have problems with humidity. I wish I could be the same. And it's wonderful that you can go outdoors and enjoy the steam. I can't but like I said at the end of my last post ... to each their own. Make no mistake about it, though. I'm no sissy about anything in life.
Yeah asthma can be a problem with humidity, but so can dry air; depends your on your actual conditions. I am sorry to hear that you have to deal with it.

Keep in mind the air quality of CA is not good and that can impact it as well. I have lung issues now due to having grown up in SoCal and while not asthma at this point, I followed my doctors advice and moved near the beach. I had a choice between SoCal and East Coast FL. After a LOT of investigating, and we could pay cash for a nice home in either area, we chose FL in-spite of the humidity as when we feel it more than we like, we just go to the beach and the sea breeze ends the problem.

Old 01-20-2019, 05:55 PM

10,441 posts, read 8,675,200 times
Quote:
Yes , but if the generalizationscan be made about Texas, then it’s only fair to make them about California.
When I lived in California we had wildfires, but it seems like the last 5 years they have really started popping up
I also wonder about how sensitive people are to the weather. I lived in the Bay Area for 90 percent of my life and. I can see how people that also did so might be more sensitive to weather.
Here in Georgia I mentioned elsewhere spring and fall feel pretty much like the Bay Area. Winter is the same except 5 to 15 degrees colder. I still wear a long sleeve and sweatshirt here when it’s cold here, but I Also wore the same in California . Summer is where you get the heat And humidity. Strangely enough last summer here was pretty mild while I saw lots of people complaining about heat and humidity in Southern California. A bit of reversal.
But the point is when I think it’s cold, I see people out here in shorts. In the summer heat I don’t go out mid day, but I see people walking and jogging in it. I think weather affects people differently and that some people are more tolerant of extremes.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:00 PM

8,241 posts, read 16,818,452 times
Quote:
Yes , but if the generalizationscan be made about Texas, then it’s only fair to make them about California.
When I lived in California we had wildfires, but it seems like the last 5 years they have really started popping up
I also wonder about how sensitive people are to the weather. I lived in the Bay Area for 90 percent of my life and. I can see how people that also did so might be more sensitive to weather.
Here in Georgia I mentioned elsewhere spring and fall feel pretty much like the Bay Area. Winter is the same except 5 to 15 degrees colder. I still wear a long sleeve and sweatshirt here when it’s cold here, but I Also wore the same in California . Summer is where you get the heat And humidity. Strangely enough last summer here was pretty mild while I saw lots of people complaining about heat and humidity in Southern California. A bit of reversal.
But the point is when I think it’s cold, I see people out here in shorts. In the summer heat I don’t go out mid day, but I see people walking and jogging in it. I think weather affects people differently and that some people are more tolerant of extremes.
I have to agree with your last points about weather affecting people differently. And of course some adapt to their climate while others grow weary of it and can't wait to leave.

On our extended trip to the Big Island this summer we faced 90+ temps with extreme humidity and VOG from the erupting volcano. It got so bad at times I couldn't wait to leave and return to Monterey. But I have friends I grew up with in SoCal who have lived on the Big Island for decades now and love it. They will probably never leave HI. There were people out jogging in that heat, playing tennis, surfing, etc... The jogging part looked the most painful.

We tried to adapt to CO's climate following some relatives who moved there first- native Californians. We hated it and eventually moved back. Yet by contrast, my wife's sister and her family are still there after 15 years and seem to have adapted. My wife's aunt and her husband retired to FL many years ago and have adjusted along with their kids. So all this is very subjective, IMO, even within a family let alone a huge population. There really are no absolutes in terms of best place to live, just reasons why some may like one location over another. And fortunately or unfortunately CA is still the most populous state in the nation depending on how one looks at it. I don't see it changing any time soon even if we decide to go explore somewhere new. Folks coming and going? Sure. But CA will always be a top world destination and one of the most popular places to live.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 01-20-2019 at 07:09 PM..

Old 01-20-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Yeah asthma can be a problem with humidity, but so can dry air; depends your on your actual conditions. I am sorry to hear that you have to deal with it.

Keep in mind the air quality of CA is not good and that can impact it as well. I have lung issues now due to having grown up in SoCal and while not asthma at this point, I followed my doctors advice and moved near the beach. I had a choice between SoCal and East Coast FL. After a LOT of investigating, and we could pay cash for a nice home in either area, we chose FL in-spite of the humidity as when we feel it more than we like, we just go to the beach and the sea breeze ends the problem.
Seeing that you have breathing issues, as well, it explains why you would leave where you couldn't breathe and why I don't move to a place (I might like) because I can't. I'd love to live in a New England state but can't. Surprisingly, it's specific conditions that affect my breathing. Cats, walnut pollen and humidity. Go figure.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Agreed. It is interesting how some can tolerate varied climates. I consider myself lucky to live in an area that isn't prone to wildfires. That's not to say the smoke from surrounding fires don't get into my area. During those times, I'm indoors. No way you'd catch me out there breathing that smoke. Last summer here was perfect. Hadn't seen a summer like that since I think '98 or '99. I think I had the a/c on twice. Three times at the most. Beautiful! Side note: I didn't realize Pleasanton was considered the bay area now. 'Course, Tracy is now considered tri-valley which seems totally foreign to me. Must be due to the fact that 90% of the residents work in the bay area and only own a home there. They ruined our little town. It's like Dublin. Once a great place but now a bedroom community. Sorry to go off topic but it irks me what happened to that cool little town.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:42 PM

2,156 posts, read 1,464,139 times
One big reason a person might be more apt to leave California for somewhere else is that they can cashout huge here on their home. Imagine the potential sudden windfall of 1 or 2 million dollars, a certain percentage can't resist. If that were the case in Wisconsin, West Virginia, Ohio, or Kansas, I suspect people would leave those states (And others like it) in droves. Another reason is the California population has closer ties to Mexico and many own land there. Eventually some of those people leave for Mexico. These aren't necessarily issues with the quality of life here in California, but rather circumstances why some people choose to leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California