Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 01:51 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,639,254 times

Advertisements

Wow look, another actual datapoint that confirms the fact that there is no exodus from California. Of course, just like the fake memes that litter the internet, people will continue to peddle anecdotes that cater to their point and push their agenda.

And along with the study, here is also an anecdote. My wife's company has been trying to hire for a senior position in their Texas office (one of the big cities). The talent pool there has been lacking, so they have been trying to hire someone locally and pay for their move there. Over the past nine months, they have had zero takers.

https://www.unitedvanlines.com/conta...ers-study-2018
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 02:20 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,288,213 times
you dont have to read studies/research that there is no exodus.

just drive during rush hours, go to the mall and look for parking or try to buy a house and you know the answer already

Old 01-17-2019, 03:01 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,329,632 times
I read somewhere that CA was net 157,000 gain for 2018. If you factor in 400,000 births, then yeah people are leaving.

Old 01-17-2019, 03:24 PM

21,739 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytrix View Post
I read somewhere that CA was net 157,000 gain for 2018. If you factor in 400,000 births, then yeah people are leaving.
Your 157,000 subtracted from births curiously equals the state death rate, which calculates out to 250,000 last year. So that’s who left, I guess.

Old 01-17-2019, 04:05 PM

364 posts, read 618,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
Wow look, another actual datapoint that confirms the fact that there is no exodus from California. Of course, just like the fake memes that litter the internet, people will continue to peddle anecdotes that cater to their point and push their agenda.

And along with the study, here is also an anecdote. My wife's company has been trying to hire for a senior position in their Texas office (one of the big cities). The talent pool there has been lacking, so they have been trying to hire someone locally and pay for their move there. Over the past nine months, they have had zero takers.

Because it sucks here. Weather is the worst. Property taxes will break you, (here in Texas that is)

Old 01-17-2019, 04:07 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
In the last several years I’ve read articles about states that have the highest % of people leaving and CA fails to be in the top 10. Usually it’s #19 or #21. What’s interesting is many who left CA end up returning. Living in a cheaper state doesn’t always work out. As a retiree living where I do gives me a COL a third or less than LA or the Bay Area yet I benefit from the CA social and environmental protections. I live in a red county and as a moderate Republican I am ok with paying taxes.

It seems the main place you read about how everyone is leaving CA and it sucks in CA is on this forum

Old 01-17-2019, 05:44 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,329,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Your 157,000 subtracted from births curiously equals the state death rate, which calculates out to 250,000 last year. So that’s who left, I guess.
Lol, I guess so

Old 01-17-2019, 06:35 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,876,072 times
Every year there is always some kind of doomsday article regarding California,but for those who actually live here know that there is still crowds,lots of traffic,a lack of housing supply,and the state's population is approaching 40 Million...Doesn't sound like the great exodus at all.

Yeah their are people who leave California,but it's not even noticeable...California in my honest opinion will always remain desirable which is why places like The Bay Area,The Coast and Southern California will always remain pricey.

Quote:

Old 01-17-2019, 07:26 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:

Correct no Exodus, but more people move to other States than move from them to CA. the growth is births and foreign immigration. CA will keep growing (Sorry Mutt) and will become more crowded and expensive. Great weather, lots to do and certain employment markets, combine to make CA a place many want to live or to stay in.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:29 PM

21,739 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Correct no Exodus, but more people move to other States than move from them to CA. the growth is births and foreign immigration. CA will keep growing (Sorry Mutt) and will become more crowded and expensive. Great weather, lots to do and certain employment markets, combine to make CA a place many want to live or to stay in.
You keep bringing this up (about more people move to other States than move from them to CA). Why? What difference does it make where from / to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California