Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 07:59 PM

1,062 posts, read 981,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
A good thing too as in CA just about every other tax is high. Plus Mello Roos.
I may not have explained the ITEP study clearly. It's showing total taxes paid, not just one type of tax. A household in the middle income quintile is paying a higher fraction of income to taxes in Texas than California. This is a lot simpler than some posters are thinking...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 08:39 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
I may not have explained the ITEP study clearly. It's showing total taxes paid, not just one type of tax. A household in the middle income quintile is paying a higher fraction of income to taxes in Texas than California. This is a lot simpler than some posters are thinking...
Ahh, that may be, but the lower overall COL there make a difference. Though with all the people from CA moving there the prices are going up.

Old 04-30-2019, 07:42 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
I am thankful that I don’t care about taxes as much as quality of life. It is a freeing state of mind as I can live where ever I want.

I know that taxes are lower in AZ and NV. My BIL lives in AZ, dtr in NV. I am aghast by the lack of services and the low pay scales offered by those two states.

Old 04-30-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Ahh, that may be, but the lower overall COL there make a difference. Though with all the people from CA moving there the prices are going up.
Well that's somewhat off the topic of taxes though. If we start looking at all factors, you also have to look at the higher salaries in California. For example my exact same position in California is paid 50% more!

But taxes is an important thing to focus on, because you often see people express the belief that California is more expensive because of Taxes, but that's not true except for the very rich, and only because Texas and some other states tax them very little

Old 04-30-2019, 08:34 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I am thankful that I don’t care about taxes as much as quality of life. It is a freeing state of mind as I can live where ever I want.

I know that taxes are lower in AZ and NV. My BIL lives in AZ, dtr in NV. I am aghast by the lack of services and the low pay scales offered by those two states.
Exactly what services does Ca have that Az and Nv don't have? Those states have smooth roads, pristine clean fwys, ample police and fire. Schools are about the same. Nv has Hoover dam which is still in great shape. I can't think of one thing Ca has that those states don't. Oh yea maybe someday we'll have a high speed rail between tomato fields

Old 04-30-2019, 09:30 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,392,148 times
Do we really need more California vs. Texas threads?

Old 04-30-2019, 09:50 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,287,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
Do we really need more California vs. Texas threads?
i dont know why they dont compare CA with WA? they both have a thriving tech industry, both are leftist, atrocious cost of living, homeless problem but the latter doesnt have income tax and yet they seem fine?

Old 04-30-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
i dont know why they dont compare CA with WA? they both have a thriving tech industry but the latter doesnt have income tax and yet they seem fine?
I don't know anything about Washington except it's full of hippies. I live in Texas and work for the state of Texas, so I'm interested in how California is run because it's the closest in size, population, and physical size. No other state is as comparable to Texas as California is, and vice versa

Also, Texans generally believe Texas is better than California, and our politicians use California as a foil

Old 04-30-2019, 10:16 AM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
i dont know why they dont compare CA with WA? they both have a thriving tech industry, both are leftist, atrocious cost of living, homeless problem but the latter doesnt have income tax and yet they seem fine?
Heh. The two finest states of being in the US.

Now selling only to the highest bidders

Old 04-30-2019, 10:19 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
As far as taxes, I’m not in Texas, but I was running some spreadsheets and was quite surprised to find the state income tax of Georgia and California for me was very close.
Sales tax can be different. I pay 6% here and in California it was 9.5%. But here in Georgia the sales tax the next county over is 8.75, not too far off from California.
I find the property tax rate is lower than California by a very tiny amount. The difference comes in when you see a million dollar house in the Bay Area costs about 250k in the Atlanta area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California