Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2019, 09:20 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,935,370 times

Advertisements

Climate change and rising coastal waters are not to be taken lightly. Already Miami Beach is starting to "sink" under the Atlantic as streets regularly become waterlogged by encroaching ocean water. California, despite its high COL will be a primary target for these refugees as areas further inland start to get developed to accommodate the rise in the number of people fleeing the Southeast and Midwest. In the Northwest part of LA County where I live the streets are already choking with traffic during morning and late afternoon rush hours. I won't drive during those times. The map in the link below shows which parts of the West will be most inundated with these climate refugees (that's what the article calls them) and SoCal to Las Vegas is projected to be the largest growth region. That stands to region when you consider that land to the immediate west and east of the I-5 to Nevada is plentiful with undeveloped flat tracts.

The prices of real estate can only go up in SoCal so if you're thinking about selling, I'd advise not to, especially if you have children you want to pass your property onto. I recently sold a junkie 3+1 in Highland Park 1000 sq ft for 735K for my terminally ill mother. She paid 16K for it back in the early 70's so the sale was pure profit. I will have an enormous capital gain tax to pay but that still leaves roughly half a million to pocket. Others in this California forum I'm sure are in the same desirable position to cash in on their houses. Think before selling. But then plan for fighting even worse elbow to elbow people in the next 20 years if you decide to stay.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...ration-is-here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2019, 11:44 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,412,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post

The prices of real estate can only go up in SoCal so if you're thinking about selling, I'd advise not to, especially if you have children you want to pass your property onto. I recently sold a junkie 3+1 in Highland Park 1000 sq ft for 735K for my terminally ill mother. She paid 16K for it back in the early 70's so the sale was pure profit. I will have an enormous capital gain tax to pay but that still leaves roughly half a million to pocket. Others in this California forum I'm sure are in the same desirable position to cash in on their houses. Think before selling. But then plan for fighting even worse elbow to elbow people in the next 20 years if you decide to stay.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, you will depress Mutt with the though the population will increase so much.

Old 11-06-2019, 02:50 PM

848 posts, read 968,662 times
Most of Coastal California can't be a refugee target. It's not like it's that much further above sea level than FL.

Old 11-06-2019, 03:00 PM

1,045 posts, read 760,100 times
We're already looking at land in NorCal and northern Nevada. Someone told me that higher elevations would be safer than coastal areas (especially the East Coast) back in 2011, but I wrote him off as a conspiracy nut.

Old 11-06-2019, 04:48 PM

I might have thought this was hysterics 10 years ago but then with all that crazy weather back east and Midwest over the last 10 years and the dramatic rise in housing in So Cal, both rents and selling prices of houses, I had to conclude that people in the eastern 2/3's of the country are deciding to get out and settle in more stable parts of the country, primarily the "L" of Arizona, Cali, Oregon and Washington. Small towns are dying out in the Central part of the country as young people migrate to denser urban cities like Seattle, Portland, and in and around Frisco and Los Angeles where they can afford it. Seniors in here might live to see this seismic shift in demographics 20-30 years down the road but we can feel the rumblings right now as rents soar into the stratosphere. My wife and I looked for land in central Cali around the Pismo/Grover Beach/Arroyo Grande area via an agent up there in the hopes we could build something on a piece of flat land, only to be told there wasn't any available. A quick check of the Google maps shows this to be true as the city lines have been extended right up to the mountains to the east of the area. I was flabbergasted that development has ground to a halt there.

Old 11-06-2019, 04:56 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,672,061 times
If they're escaping climate change, why stop in CA? Why not head to northern Canada, for a utopian life in a cool, wintery wonderland? The climate in Los Angeles is only slightly different than the climate in Tijuana or other border towns, so why do people keep shoe-horning into Los Angeles in order to escape the Climate Change of Doom.

Old 11-06-2019, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
If they're escaping climate change, why stop in CA? Why not head to northern Canada, for a utopian life in a cool, wintery wonderland? The climate in Los Angeles is only slightly different than the climate in Tijuana or other border towns, so why do people keep shoe-horning into Los Angeles in order to escape the Climate Change of Doom.

Oh, I can think of a few reasons: Canada wants us in their country like they want the plague. And why would people who like warm climates want to move into freezers like Alberta? And why would they want to move into sewers like Tijuana? Nope, California offers the best of everything--ideal climate, jobs, 1st world living but at a price. So people will settle on the fringes.

Old 11-07-2019, 12:49 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,515,659 times
I guess you haven't taken the time to acquaint yourself with the geography of the US. The entire Midwest is much higher in elevation than anywhere in the LA Basin (OKC, Wichita, Des Moines, Indianapolis, Minneapolis, Columbus - they're all about 700 to 1,000 feet elevation. They will never flood from the absolute worst case scenario 3 ft ocean rise that "might" happen by 2100. Even Memphis TN is 338 ft - much higher than immediate coastal areas of California (Santa Monica is 105 ft, Long Beach is 52 ft, Oakland is 43 ft, etc...). Atlanta and Charlotte are from 700 to 1000 ft elevation as well.

Basically, any "climate refugees" you might see would be from the coast of California moving inland... but that ignores any preparations that will be made such as seawalls. Plus we'll all be worm food by the time it happens "if" it happens. Basically, calm down (and dare I say, stop being ridiculous). They're not moving here - and the reverse will probably continue.

Old 11-07-2019, 12:49 AM

111 posts, read 74,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Climate change and rising coastal waters are not to be taken lightly. Already Miami Beach is starting to "sink" under the Atlantic as streets regularly become waterlogged by encroaching ocean water. California, despite its high COL will be a primary target for these refugees as areas further inland start to get developed to accommodate the rise in the number of people fleeing the Southeast and Midwest. In the Northwest part of LA County where I live the streets are already choking with traffic during morning and late afternoon rush hours. I won't drive during those times. The map in the link below shows which parts of the West will be most inundated with these climate refugees (that's what the article calls them) and SoCal to Las Vegas is projected to be the largest growth region. That stands to region when you consider that land to the immediate west and east of the I-5 to Nevada is plentiful with undeveloped flat tracts.

Florida was under water before, so who cares if people were stupid. That’s like building a home on an inactive volcano. Also, you’ll be dead before sea level rise becomes an issue.

Old 11-07-2019, 01:18 AM

272 posts, read 322,642 times
I'd worry more about devastating earthquake in California vs climate refuges moving here

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/18/us/ri...rnd/index.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California