Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2021, 12:55 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times

Advertisements

Hi All! Most people absolutely love this drive, and while I appreciate the wonders of nature this state is so richly blessed with, I'm not really a fan of this drive, I keep thinking that I'll fall off the highway and wind up in the ocean. Dumb, I know. Id just as soon take the 5 freeway and be done with it but that's me.

Anyhow, at 8:20 of this lovely video, the driver goes through a tunnel that is right on the edge of a cliff and I don't remember ever seeing it. Anyone know where it is?

(the tunnel in this thumbnail!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2021, 05:29 AM

5 posts, read 5,922 times
Pitkins Curve on Highway 1.

Look at this article:

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/25/u...of-debate.html

I have driven Highway 1 in its entirety more than once, but the last time I did so was in the 90s. I did not recall seeing this tunnel, but then I would not have as it was built in 2013 or so. The hint to me was the bridge and the tunnel all looked pretty new (and safe), so I just Googled the subject of new construction on Highway 1.

Last edited by LakeTowada; 04-23-2021 at 05:51 AM..

Old 04-23-2021, 07:11 AM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
I drive through that tunnel about ½ dozen times a year or more . Gawd amighty I hate I-5 south of Redding!

Old 04-23-2021, 10:19 AM

WOW, thanks guys, it just looked so cool I wondered where it was.

Old 04-23-2021, 10:22 AM

Wait, I have definitely driven on this spot. Why can't I remember? Oh well, I'm in my 40s now and getting old and beginning to forget things I guess.

This is stunning!
https://goo.gl/maps/tA2AiYWDNaABuXkF6

Old 04-23-2021, 10:39 AM

Stunning, yes ... the setting and structure both ... but it is cast concrete formed to appear as natural, quarried block ... but, to my eye, the faux perfection and polished glaze is, well, hokey. Like fake stone facades on ginger-bready modern houses trying to project old-world charm.

Old 04-23-2021, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Wait, I have definitely driven on this spot. Why can't I remember? Oh well, I'm in my 40s now and getting old and beginning to forget things I guess.

This is stunning!
https://goo.gl/maps/tA2AiYWDNaABuXkF6
Um. 40’s? Lol? .... Ever look for your glasses when they are on your head? Car keys in your hand?

S**t happens ... catch you for a chuckle 30 years from now ... meanwhile, chew on this:

“ A group of friends, all aged 40, discussed where they should meet for a reunion lunch. Finally, it was agreed that they would meet at LeManoir in Pointe Claire because the waitresses were cute and wore miniskirts.

10 years later, at age 50, the friends once again discussed where they should meet for lunch. Finally it was decided that they would meet at LeManoir in Point Claire because of the food and service was good and the beer selection was excellent.

10 years later, at age 60, the friends again discussed where they should meet for lunch. Finally it was agreed that they would meet at LeManoir in Point Claire because there was plenty of parking, they could dine in peace and quiet, and it was good value for the money.

10 years later, at age 70, the friends again discussed where they should meet for lunch. Finally it was agreed that they would meet at LeManoir in Point Claire because the restaurant was wheelchair accessible and had a toilet for the disabled.

10 years later, at age 80, the friends again discussed where they should meet for lunch. Finally it was agreed they would meet at LeManoir in Point Claire because they had never been there before.”

Old 04-23-2021, 11:20 AM

2,209 posts, read 1,783,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Um. 40’s? Lol? .... Ever look for your glasses when they are on your head? Car keys in your hand?

S**t happens ... catch you for a chuckle 30 years from now ... meanwhile, chew on this:

“ A group of friends, all aged 40, discussed where they should meet for a reunion lunch. Finally, it was agreed that they would meet at LeManoir in Pointe Claire because the waitresses were cute and wore miniskirts.

10 years later, at age 50, the friends once again discussed where they should meet for lunch. Finally it was decided that they would meet at LeManoir in Point Claire because of the food and service was good and the beer selection was excellent.

10 years later, at age 60, the friends again discussed where they should meet for lunch. Finally it was agreed that they would meet at LeManoir in Point Claire because there was plenty of parking, they could dine in peace and quiet, and it was good value for the money.

10 years later, at age 70, the friends again discussed where they should meet for lunch. Finally it was agreed that they would meet at LeManoir in Point Claire because the restaurant was wheelchair accessible and had a toilet for the disabled.

10 years later, at age 80, the friends again discussed where they should meet for lunch. Finally it was agreed they would meet at LeManoir in Point Claire because they had never been there before.”
When you get older there is something that happens ... I just can't remember what it is.

Old 04-23-2021, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Stunning, yes ... the setting and structure both ... but it is cast concrete formed to appear as natural, quarried block ... but, to my eye, the faux perfection and polished glaze is, well, hokey. Like fake stone facades on ginger-bready modern houses trying to project old-world charm.
Yeah it definitely looks like Universal Studios....but it also reminds me of Europe.

Old 04-23-2021, 12:44 PM

Quote:

That is hilarious but probably my future, which I shall embrace---I just want my kids to be grown up and preferably married to wonderful spouses by then. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California