Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Manhattan Beach, Los Angeles better than Palo Alto, Santa Clara in California?
Manhattan Beach, Los Angeles is better than Palo Alto, Santa Clara 17 68.00%
Manhattan Beach, Los Angeles isn't better than Palo Alto, Santa Clara 8 32.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2021, 11:13 AM

69 posts, read 58,801 times

Advertisements

I'd like to know similarities and differences or just tell me why it is or isn't better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2021, 01:18 PM

42 posts, read 53,711 times
Wouldn't really want to live in either, both wealthy, and insular communities. I guess at gun-point I would rather live in Manhattan Beach not only because the homes look imo generally better, but I'm an LA boy, and it's pretty close to LA culture and amenities.

South Bay LA > South (SF) Bay

Old 05-14-2021, 02:29 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,781,400 times
Prefer the LA area as while not as beautiful the weather is better; of course homeless are an issue there.

Old 05-15-2021, 10:54 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,499,960 times
These are 2 of my favorite places but for different reasons. I think Manhattan Beach is in a better location relative to LA than Palo Alto is relative to San Francisco, but then, Palo Alto is much more of it's own center of gravity, it has a world class university, it has one of the most upscale malls in the state(Stanford Shopping Center), it is the beating heart of the American venture capital scene and is a major Silicon Valley outpost of jobs and corporate headquarters.

Manhattan Beach is well, on a beach, and that is a major plus in my book, so if youre looking for a more laid back, beach-oriented lifestyle, smack in the middle of LA, MB of course, wins.

They both have excellent school districts, they both have really nice weather imo, they both have lots of affluent, cultured residents, both are in very interesting areas with lots nearby, etc.

As far as quality of life, I think Palo Alto edges out Manhattan Beach but we're talking 99.99% vs 99.95%--of course it all depends on a person's personal taste and what they are looking for in a place to live.

I voted for Palo Alto because it's definitely more my style, but I would have no problem living in Manhattan Beach too.

Old 05-15-2021, 11:04 AM

4,316 posts, read 6,280,585 times
I think this is a loaded question. If you have the money to afford the lifestyle of Manhattan Beach (or other high-end SoCal beach towns, such as Newport Beach, Laguna Beach, La Jolla, Montecito, etc.) and can manage to avoid a massive commute, its tough to beat this.

The problem here is that the job market in LA overall is inferior to that of the Bay Area. Palo Alto is right in the heart of the Silicon Valley job center, so you probably could avoid a massive commute and have a top paying job. It likely will be tougher (not impossible though) to say that same if you lived in Manhattan Beach. LA job centers are more spread out and overall the industries don't pay as well, despite the top areas being as expensive as the Bay Area.

My other comment is on the weather. While I agree that year-round, Manhattan Beach has better weather vs PA, I think the summers are nicer in PA. I tend to prefer warmer/sunnier weather. Manhattan Beach (and much of the SoCal coastal areas) tend to get a lot of fog and not often terribly warm. Granted, they're still warmer than the coastal areas in NorCal, but in NorCal, most of the "prime" areas are a bit further inland.

Old 05-16-2021, 08:24 AM

Thanks for the replies. Commute is not a factor. Both places are an option too, though it seems MB is dominating the Poll.

Old 05-17-2021, 01:29 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,191,740 times
To add to what others have said, it's a no-lose situation. I have lived in both LA and Bay Area and love both PA and MB. Having said that, if your career is in tech, PA is a clear winner. Also, if your outdoor preferences are for mountains and redwood forests, PA is a clear winner. I love the beach, but I find the forests much more approachable and refreshing. If you surf, you'll likely feel quite differently. In a perfect world, I'd be able to split my time between the two. To be clear though, it doesn't necessarily have to be those specific cities, there are plenty of fantastic options nearby both that aren't quite as expensive but still offer a great lifestyle.

Old 05-17-2021, 03:24 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,781,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
To add to what others have said, it's a no-lose situation. I have lived in both LA and Bay Area and love both PA and MB. Having said that, if your career is in tech, PA is a clear winner. Also, if your outdoor preferences are for mountains and redwood forests, PA is a clear winner. I love the beach, but I find the forests much more approachable and refreshing. If you surf, you'll likely feel quite differently. In a perfect world, I'd be able to split my time between the two. To be clear though, it doesn't necessarily have to be those specific cities, there are plenty of fantastic options nearby both that aren't quite as expensive but still offer a great lifestyle.
Very good points.

Old 05-17-2021, 10:49 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,842 times
Before posters begin singing the praises of Manhattan Beach, which they always do, you should probably know that the city experiences cool or cold weather about 335 days per year, and that might even be a lowball estimate.

Old 05-18-2021, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Before posters begin singing the praises of Manhattan Beach, which they always do, you should probably know that the city experiences cool or cold weather about 335 days per year, and that might even be a lowball estimate.
That doesn't detract from MB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California