Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2008, 04:28 PM

24 posts, read 126,085 times

Advertisements

When thinking about where to relocate, one thing that comes to mind is the fact that you choose a place based on current conditions, but without much thought as to how the region will be in 10 or 20 years.

What do people see as trends in California?
-which nice areas will go bad, which bad areas will gentrify
- will places like SLO end up like LA?
-how will earthquakes affect NorCal and SoCal - will a bad earthquake cause an exodus and drop in home values?
-will the air pollution problems stay the same
-how will global warming impact CA - will the inland areas become unihabitable with extreme heat?
-will CA always be crowded and expensive?
-how can prices remain high if no one can afford to live there?
- will industries finally move elsewhere because of the expense?

Let me know your thoughts and predictions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 05:03 PM

21 posts, read 127,326 times
Bankruptcy.

Do yourself a favor don't go. I left after thirty years and I'm never coming back.

Old 05-25-2008, 05:19 PM

572 posts, read 2,489,955 times
Until the State does something about the Illegals it will keep getting worse and worse
The ones from Arizona now have come back to Ca.
Simple as that.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:19 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,785,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingforward11 View Post
When thinking about where to relocate, one thing that comes to mind is the fact that you choose a place based on current conditions, but without much thought as to how the region will be in 10 or 20 years.

In general, most of southern california will go down in population as people move into far north california or central california. depending on when the president decides when enough is enough with mexico immigrants. i do understand why ppl r leaving mexico though, but they need to move to texas or elsewhere.
hell no, san luis obispo county and other small areas aren't changing anytime soon. at least not until 2050 or when i'm dead (and i'm 17 now)
-how will earthquakes affect NorCal and SoCal - will a bad earthquake cause an exodus and drop in home values?
earthquakes usually truly only damage one city. i would imagine the next big one would be more near fresno or paso robles, but these smaller cities are prepared for a large one coming.
it will probably be the same, but who says it's bad now?
-how will global warming impact CA - will the inland areas become unihabitable with extreme heat?
i don't think we are having global warming. just change in weather trends, some say we are going to have another global cooling and other say global warming. in total, i just think if any area will be unhabitible it will be areas like hanford and far east central valley.
it's expensive cause were crowded. and people like california crowded and expensive. so yes, it will always be expensive and crowded compared to the other states
people who were born in california have their homes when they were cheap, and people who are from california generally stay in california
they will still be here, unless the mexican immigrants decide to move elsewhere

in general, i forsee a big market slowdown in california after 2020.

Last edited by the city; 05-25-2008 at 08:23 PM..

Old 05-25-2008, 07:59 PM

24 posts, read 126,085 times
Why? The weather and industry will still be there to attact people, no? So won't people keep coming and coming??

Old 05-26-2008, 05:31 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,404,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
in general, i forsee a big market slowdown in california after 2020.
Is that what the Ouija board said?

Old 05-27-2008, 05:12 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,033,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingforward11 View Post
Some downtown areas like LA and SD will see a revitalization. Most bad areas will remain bad and some good areas will go bad.
Quote:
No, but the Central Coast will get more crowded as will many inland areas. Some companies will be forced to open offices in the less expensive areas in order to find workers who can afford to live on what the company will pay. Commuting is a big strain on many budgets in California.
Quote:
In the long term it would take several large earthquakes to cause an exodus and even then I don't think it would be very large. Most people accept the risk and the building codes ensure that damage is minimized. I could see a Katrina-type problem here where people who failed to prepare to be self-sufficient for a few days could be in trouble.
Quote:
Air pollution will get better. As gas prices remain high more people will drive less miles and drive less polluting cars. Anyone who live in the Inland Empire in the 70s can attest to how much better it has gotten.
Quote:
No. I think the biggest threat that global warming holds for California is as an excuse for more taxes and regulations to a state that is already pretty burdened.
Quote:
Yes, probably so. Many people are leaving but many others are immigrating from other countries. There will always be an upper class in California that likes the lifestyle, weather, and natural beauty and doesn't mind the paying the high taxes. Those are the same people who can afford to live in low crime areas with relatively decent schools.
Quote:
In addition to the upper class I mentioned above there are also are few other ways people afford California. One is there are many people who have owned their homes for decades. Protected by Prop 13 they stay in the area as it gets less desirable to live in but they can't afford to move. There are also people who buy more than they can afford and get loans they shouldn't be able to qualify for. Those are the ones that Congress is trying to bail out on the backs of the rest of us now. There is also a sizable immigrant population that doesn't have a the cultural mindset of one generation per home. That means several breadwinners per home and makes the payment fairly affordable per family. There are also some that just live in smaller houses and get by on less but consider it a sacrifice worth making.
Quote:
Yes, many will. I think many manufacturers in particular will move out because so many of them can. (I am doing that with my manufacturing company.) I think many national companies will scale back their offices here or change expansion plans to places like Las Vegas, Phoenix, or Salt Lake City. There will always be a base of service and retail here because there will always be people here. Also, in spite of the current poor business climate, it used to be better and many companies located here. Now you have a grouping of customers and suppliers that is convenient for both. Plus, the workforce is better than many other areas of the country.
Quote:
I think California faces some serious issues. Many of them stem from the legislature's inability to budget money. In good years, instead of funding one-time project and saving for bad years, they fund ongoing programs. I also think that California is likely to see much of its middle class disappear. Many of them will move to less expensive states as they retire and sell their homes. Also, California (and the nation in general) needs to get a handle on illegal immigration. That one issue affects school crowding, the loss of middle class jobs, home prices, and taxes as much as any other.

If you are not accustomed to the California lifestyle and the good things that the state has to offer then I would not relocate here. But then again I am moving from California to Idaho so take what I say with a grain of salt...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California