Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2023, 11:44 AM

19,221 posts, read 16,705,467 times

Advertisements

^^

Temperatures are still unseasonably low but last night's news reported that, by the end of the month, melt off should begin and this is going to potentially disastrous for the Tulare Basin. The snow pack for 2023 is the now the record holder, bumping 1938 out of the #1 spot. But with the impending warm up and eventual melt off, it's not going to be a great time for parts in low-lying areas of the state.

I know the experts are watching this develop. I hope they can come up with a solution to deter the water that will be descending into the basin and putting the people living there at risk. Can't do much in a few weeks but it's something they need to focus on for future weather events like this last one. It's been astonishing to watch, though. 266% of normal accumulation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2023, 02:35 PM

162 posts, read 126,133 times
Default Now that Tulare Lake has shown up again from all the rains should the local government act to restore the lake ?

Tulare lake was drained for agriculture in early 1900's. It was the largest lake west of the Mississippi. The lake is fed by the waters from the Sierra Nevada Mountains. The lake has reappeared this year with extensive flooding to many farms and many buildings. The lake is probably going to getting bigger when the huge Sierra Nevada snowpack melts this year. Snow pack is like at 200% or more than usual this year which is a scary thought considering when it melts it will flood . I don't think Tulare Lake restoration probably wouldn't happen because of legal battles with the farmers and establishments that are near Tulare Lakebed but I was curious to what was your opinion on it.

Last edited by sidneyinmyeyes34; 04-05-2023 at 02:48 PM..

Old 04-05-2023, 03:29 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times
They should but CA politics and bureaucracy would never let that happen.

Old 04-05-2023, 03:48 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,665,012 times
[Salton Sea] Hold my beer

Old 04-06-2023, 07:41 AM

37,157 posts, read 39,430,503 times
Owens lake is making a comeback as well, though I reckon it'll be brief: https://www.newsweek.com/california-...rought-1792176

If I understand this correctly, I do think being able to somewhat expand the breadth of land over which water from heavy rains can go (so that means fewer unpermeable surfaces and less direct diverting to concrete channels) would up our potential rate of groundwater recharging which is orders of magnitude greater capacity for retaining water than any talk of dams would be able to contain. So I guess in some sense, yes?

Old 04-07-2023, 07:36 AM

7,836 posts, read 3,829,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
^^

Temperatures are still unseasonably low but last night's news reported that, by the end of the month, melt off should begin and this is going to potentially disastrous for the Tulare Basin.
Potentially restorative.

Old 04-07-2023, 09:03 AM

102,216 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
I spend half of my time in another state.
Having the produce from the Central Valley is something most people take for granted.
We don’t have no Central Valley here and our produce looks like it might come from Norway.
What?! Ever heard of the Skagit Valley? Extremely rich soils. In fact, its extension in British Columbia makes southern BC a breadbasket for the region, according to one of C-D's Canuck members.

I think WA could produce a lot more food, if it put its mind to it. I also think it should be gearing up to do exactly that, as the water supply in CA becomes more precarious. Right now, some of the richest farmland in the US is taken up with tulip production and other ornamentals. There's lots of food-production potential that's not being taken advantage of at the moment, because people take California's production for granted.

Old 04-07-2023, 09:07 AM

19,221 posts, read 16,705,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Potentially restorative.
If the water is contained in the lake but destructive if it causes widespread damage to homes in the area.

Old 04-07-2023, 11:42 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,081,026 times
Hi Ruth,
I kinda chuckle at the idea that Washington is possibly somewhat near par produce wise to California.
Yes I know that is not exactly what you said and I may be exaggerating a bit but not by much.

I grow (or rather did, I missed last year) a huge garden in California and it is easy.
Here in Washington not so much.
Not so much at all.

We even have 2 close friends from California up here that are large scale hobby farmers.
One bought a mile to far up Blue Mountain only to find it sucked and had to buy more land.
One has a pear orchard near Dungeness that does well with the pears but sucks at with anything else.
My normally green thumb is now my brown thumb.
I did ok on potatoes and that was it.

Having a 2 crop season will never happen here.
Having good tomatoes or other veggies here will never happen unless I grow indoors.
All the stores sell subpar produce.
I include Sunny Side Farms in that and they are about the best up here.

Old 04-07-2023, 01:44 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,361,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Hi Ruth,
I kinda chuckle at the idea that Washington is possibly somewhat near par produce wise to California.
Yes I know that is not exactly what you said and I may be exaggerating a bit but not by much.

I grow (or rather did, I missed last year) a huge garden in California and it is easy.
Here in Washington not so much.
Not so much at all.

We even have 2 close friends from California up here that are large scale hobby farmers.
One bought a mile to far up Blue Mountain only to find it sucked and had to buy more land.
One has a pear orchard near Dungeness that does well with the pears but sucks at with anything else.
My normally green thumb is now my brown thumb.
I did ok on potatoes and that was it.

Having a 2 crop season will never happen here.
Having good tomatoes or other veggies here will never happen unless I grow indoors.
All the stores sell subpar produce.
I include Sunny Side Farms in that and they are about the best up here.
Yup.

The Skagit Valley produces gonzo for certain JollyGreenGiant and BirdsEye produce staples … once a year.
California double and triple seasons that output.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California