Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2023, 07:35 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,540,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
You know CA4Now, this topic has gone on for years and I suspect it will never go away. But when you drill down on this, the term "affordable housing" is simply a catchall that means different things to different people. For some it might mean prices that were around a short 10-13 years ago. Others look at it as 1990 pricing, and yet others will want prices like 1970. Making claims like it has to be a certain percentage of the median wage are also subjective and ambiguous (who says it has to be at said percentage?). You also have the same cast of characters that scream "exodus" but also claim housing is unaffordable. That group claims we need more supply, but of course their so-called exodus (if it were real....clearly it's not) would produce the same result. And on the other side of the equation is waving a magic wand, creating this 'affordable' housing and impacting people that own houses so that their equity drops substantially (why should they take a hit?).

Many areas of California are extremely desirable and most surveys say the state is the most desirable in the nation, despite what the bashers would lead you to believe. And of course it's not the affluent making these claims or is it established residents (in general). It's really the people trying to get in or those that don't earn enough to afford the cost of living. Has anything really changed with this argument in the last 20 to 30 years? Ultimately people/communities figure it out. If there are essential services they want, they'll need to accommodate people in those professions. And if someone doesn't work in those professions or another one that offers the wages needed for people to live to their standards, they'll either have to make due by modifying those standards or leave. I think that's just reality despite the people that choose to complain about it.

Filling out a survey doesn't require having lived in California nor even having been to California.

If those who have done neither had done either or both, they might feel the same way they did when they filled out the survey....but they might feel just the opposite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2023, 07:42 AM

7,832 posts, read 3,829,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekdog View Post
Very high priced units are available due to they low supply. California has the highest median housing price by quite a margin
Incorrect.

Old 04-04-2023, 07:48 AM

21,741 posts, read 16,361,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
In other words, NIMBY.
You say that as if it’s a bad thing.

If Joe Smith objects to a stranger’s dog crapping in his (Joe Smith’s) back yard … is Joe Smith a NIMBY?
Why yes, he is!
Is that a bad thing?

Old 04-04-2023, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post
So this is for anyone out there who may be observing this ridiculous thread: Please note that if you're not already a homeowner in CA, the NIMBYs would rather you just go away.
You say that as if it were a bad thing.

Quote:
They don't care that housing is a human right.
Incorrect. Housing is not a human right.

Old 04-04-2023, 08:05 AM

1,071 posts, read 792,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Simple: Boise … you can take them all.

Now then, that question answered you still haven’t answered my question … and I asked first: ‘why do we need more people?’ … in cities or rural. In what ways do more people improve California?
Yes, yes, you already quipped about sending them to Boise. And as I said before, I welcome all who want to contribute to my city.

And you know what, I'm happy to have you keep saying such things. Usually NIMBYs try to hide their true intentions under a thin veneer of false environmentalism, but at least you're revealing the ugliness of what it really is: anti people, especially those of lower income. So please, carry on. Again, Californians, I ask if this is the kind of "progressive" you want your state known for?

Old 04-04-2023, 08:06 AM

1,071 posts, read 792,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
You say that as if it were a bad thing.

Incorrect. Housing is not a human right.
https://www.ohchr.org/en/special-pro...tural%20Rights.

Old 04-04-2023, 08:14 AM

Quote:
‘why do we need more people?’
Do you advocate that uterus-possessing people be required to acquire a permit to procreate - and that a governmental entity decide how many more people are needed prior to issuing a procreation permit?

Old 04-04-2023, 08:15 AM

Quote:
The people experiencing homelessness are marginalized folks who can’t compete for the lifestyle cost demands of upscale developing of California.
In other words, they have earned and deserve to be homeless.

Old 04-04-2023, 08:20 AM

3,348 posts, read 2,313,475 times
Housing being a human right is more about the right not to get evicted from a secure housing with roof onto the street for whatever reason. Not necessarily about moving to a place you cannot afford or have no vacancy for you.

Though one big issue about housing was those who were incarcerated during the get tough 3 strikes lock them up and throw away the key days back in the 1980s and 1990s. These days consequently prisons overflowed it banks and they have to release those with less serious offences out onto the streets and they have no way to afford housing at today's rates now they are not able to get a good background check results as today's world has never been more transparent with everything electronicalized. Which makes them difficult to get a non illegal business job. Its a nationwide issue including neighboring states thats why such homelessness is a regional issue and they often travel by Greyhound bus to the place they can get services or shelter. Thats why most want to avoid Greyhound as much as possible.

I believe in addition to geography the other issue that makes Texas different is Prop 13 or lack off meaning investors especially foreign ones are less incentived to buy large amount of homes during lower buyers market times as investment.

We should cut down on luxury communities and focus on real issues but we also need the infrastructure to keep up roads, rails, water, power, parking, sewage etc. Apparently the NIMBYs had blocked many projects using many excuses including false environmentalism that we need to help sustain a growing population. We should give this a chance to keep up first. I be curious whether China is a good example though, they are growing infrastructure simoutanously as growing housing. Now they have the largest public infrastructure in terms of roads and rails to cope a growing population much bigger than they did in the past. I can only magine if they grew only building housing unchecked and number of private cars without improving infrastructure.

Interesting though there was a proposed city named California City in Kern county however the idea never went forward. Anyone have info on that proposed city? I heard that was a urban planning prototype for those seeking the California Dream. But I guess without HSR that city would surely be undesirable due to distance and lack of commerce and they anticipated HSR to be complete for them to consider moving people there.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 04-04-2023 at 08:37 AM..

Old 04-04-2023, 08:23 AM

21,741 posts, read 16,361,136 times
Quote:
Yes, yes, you already quipped about sending them to Boise. And as I said before, I welcome all who want to contribute to my city.

And you know what, I'm happy to have you keep saying such things. Usually NIMBYs try to hide their true intentions under a thin veneer of false environmentalism, but at least you're revealing the ugliness of what it really is: anti people, especially those of lower income. So please, carry on. Again, Californians, I ask if this is the kind of "progressive" you want your state known for?
“Quipped?” That’s not a quip. That’s an entirely sincere entreaty.

And once again you disingenuously drone on about NIMBYism as if it is categorically a bad thing … while you, yourself, fled California rather than stay and fight the good fight for all the poor people you left behind.

Just to update you, I was raised by a poor farmer and house cleaner in the upper mid west. I enlisted in military service at 17 (enlisted ranks, not officers ranks). I ran a blue-collar one-man print shop for a second career while building and renovating houses and boats as well. I’ve never owned California real estate- always been a renter (live on a small old boat at marinas). And served volunteer roles for 30 years in support of homeless veterans needs.

Sound like I sneer at “the lower income” among us?

Enjoy ‘urbanizing’ Boise while you live the good life based off your California profits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California