Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2024, 04:21 PM

7,345 posts, read 3,812,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
One of California’s most recognizable roadside restaurants has closed without so much as a goodbye to longtime fans and travelers.

Pea Soup Andersen’s, the staple Central Coast destination in Buellton, California — just off Highway 101 en route to the Danish holiday town Solvang — has gone dark, and rumors are swirling that the property itself may be redeveloped for housing. The property was previously listed for sale for just under $5 million in 2021, but no buyer was publicly announced.

The restaurant has a robust history on the Central Coast, claiming at its height to serve 2 million cups of soup to locals and travelers every year. Originally opened by Denmark-born Anton Andersen in 1924 as a highway restaurant serving everyday cafe fare, the signature pea soup quickly became a signature dish and, in short order, the name and calling card for the place.

https://www.sfgate.com/centralcoast/...d-18600570.php
That's a real bummer. I think I remember my parents stopping there when I was five during our summer vacation drive from Los Angeles to San Francisco many moons ago. I haven't been there in decades, since I5 is much quicker to L.A. than 101. Still sucks to see a place as legendary as that place go away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2024, 04:35 PM

393 posts, read 276,441 times
Too bad! I remember stopping there a few times as a kid too. Usually it involved a trip to Solvang. More recently, just a few years ago, I stopped there while on a business trip...glad I did!

Old 01-10-2024, 05:44 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Aww, that's sad. I remember driving up the coast as a kid and seeing the signs for Andersen's starting many miles away from the actual restaurant. There were two cartoon characters on the sign--Hap Pea and Pea Wee, and they were splitting peas with a mallet and wedge if I recall correctly.

I think I only ate there once, though.

Old 01-10-2024, 05:58 PM

271 posts, read 306,045 times
Has the Santa Nella Andersen's also closed?

Old 01-10-2024, 06:17 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,283,984 times
I used to also have fond memories of stopping there on the way down to SoCal. I do have to say that a few years ago, we stopped at the Buellton location. We were underwhelmed. I'm not sure if it's gone downhill or my food standards have improved but I wasn't very impressed. Better bets for stopping points on 101 would be Apple Farm in SLO or McClintock's in Pismo

Old 01-10-2024, 06:36 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,663,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlandissf View Post
Has the Santa Nella Andersen's also closed?
According to the S.F. Chronicle, the Santa Nella location remains open. I’ve eaten at both. What a shame about the Buellton Pea Soup Andersen’s. It should have been designed as an historical landmark.

Quote:
A second Pea Soup Andersen’s location is still open in the Merced County town of Santa Nella, just off Interstate 5. An employee at the Santa Nella location confirmed the closure of the Buellton restaurant.

Old 01-10-2024, 06:53 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,663,523 times
Now according to Channel 3 out of Santa Barbara, the restaurant may reopen once the property is redeveloped. Apparently, the adjacent motel with the same name hasn’t been impacted and is still in operation.

Quote:
According to Milt Guggia Enterprises Inc. in Santa Maria, the historic restaurant is looking to redevelop and eventually reopen the site and will provide more details once a decision has been made.

The adjacent Pea Soup Andersen's Inn, which has a different ownership than the restaurant, will remain open for weary travelers confirmed employees at the hotel.
https://keyt.com/news/santa-maria-no...redevelopment/

Old 01-10-2024, 07:02 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,077,727 times
I had the soup at the one in Santa Nella in the early 80’s and was unimpressed.
It was bland, had no chunks in it whatsoever and wasn’t cheap either
Their main clients were tourist buses filled with old retired people so that kinda makes sense.

I haven’t seen those tourist buses in quite a while.
I wonder if they really even exist anymore.

It’s a shame that they closed that location though.
I am still seeing strip malls with lots of vacancies throughout the west coast.
To me they are a pretty good indicator on how well our economy is doing.

Old 01-10-2024, 07:47 PM

7,345 posts, read 3,812,806 times
101 is much older than I-5, and I think once I-5 was completed, that was the preferred path between L.A. and the Bay Area.

I've driven 101 twice from L.A. to the Bay Area and that was enough for me. I-5 is so much faster.

Old 01-11-2024, 05:34 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
I'm so sorry to hear this. I also remember stopping there as a kid with my family. They had the best pea soup ever!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California