Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2024, 07:18 PM

1 posts, read 879 times

Advertisements

A police officer knocked on my door to tell me that the vehicle that I bought on a lien sale 16 months ago was reported stolen. The vehicle was towed on a DUI, then the tow company put a lien on it. The tow company had the vehicle over 100 days before they sold it to me. After purchasing it I went to DMV where they inspected the VIN numbers, all was good and I completed the registration. Two weeks later I received title in the mail. An officer knocked on my door 16 months after having the vehicle and told me that the vehicle that I had in my possession with a title from DMV was reported stolen and that he needed to take it from me. Vehicle had not been put into system as stolen until 10 months after I registered it. How can they take away my vehicle if the original owner didn't report it stolen right away? This is so crazy and unheard of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2024, 07:47 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,235,124 times
Always comply with the police, but write everything down. Take pictures too of everything. Then, phone your insurance agent. With title, you have ownership rights. Or at least insured rights of ownership. You will get either money or car, one way or another.

I would ask your insurer to provide you a rental car of equal value while this gets worked out.

Old 01-31-2024, 10:13 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,454,794 times
File a written complaint with DMV. Include a copy of your title. They will pull all the paperwork for the lien sale and most likely (hopefully) contact the police agency to see what the story was.

If it turns out that the owner had the car stored while they were out of town or whatever and didn't discover the theft until they returned, then it's a valid stolen recovery. If they received the tow notices, didn't want to pay the tow fees then reported it stolen to get it back for free, you may have recourse.

Old 02-01-2024, 05:34 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,359,230 times
Appears as tho' the search for a bargain....wasn't such a bargain after all....chalk it up to a lesson learned...I learned mine on a salvage title vehicle.

Old 02-01-2024, 04:08 PM

17,298 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HA21 View Post
A police officer knocked on my door to tell me that the vehicle that I bought on a lien sale 16 months ago was reported stolen. The vehicle was towed on a DUI, then the tow company put a lien on it. The tow company had the vehicle over 100 days before they sold it to me. After purchasing it I went to DMV where they inspected the VIN numbers, all was good and I completed the registration. Two weeks later I received title in the mail. An officer knocked on my door 16 months after having the vehicle and told me that the vehicle that I had in my possession with a title from DMV was reported stolen and that he needed to take it from me. Vehicle had not been put into system as stolen until 10 months after I registered it. How can they take away my vehicle if the original owner didn't report it stolen right away? This is so crazy and unheard of.

Nope.............I would have showed that it is registered in your name, DMV titled it etc.

I would have not released the car to the cops. Tell them this is clearly a civil matter and they would likely walk away.

Old 02-01-2024, 04:13 PM

9,977 posts, read 5,675,804 times
Too late afterward, but you should have demanded to see a court order instead of just taking him at his word. Possession is 9/10ths of the law, so whoever has the car now is most likely going to end up with it. If it's still in the police department's possession, you may still have time to file an injunction prohibiting them from releasing it into anyone else's possession (except maybe the court's possession) until the matter is resolved.

Old 02-02-2024, 10:26 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,827,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HA21 View Post
LOL, welcome to the site.

(Now, let's see if they ever show up, again...)

Old 02-03-2024, 06:33 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
LOL, welcome to the site.

(Now, let's see if they ever show up, again...)
Have you EVER had a cop knock on your door?

Old 02-03-2024, 06:28 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,827,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Have you EVER had a cop knock on your door?
I take every 1-post wonder, with a grain of salt. Doesn't matter what the subject is. Especially if they never come back to the site, to even read the responses they got.
As far as a cop coming to my door, yes. But, the German's got nothing to do with it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California