Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2007, 10:15 PM

31 posts, read 201,775 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate to either Shasta or Siskiyou County at retirement next year. My main concern is finding an area with no limits on cats as we have a number of pet cats we will be bringing with us. We do not sell, breed or take in other cats, these are personal pets so I'm not interested in business zoning, kennel licenses etc. just want to find out if there is any limit on household pets or if any specific zoning is required, like "rural residential"? These cats will be housed in an outbuilding and not running loose, are all spayed, neutered, shots etc. most are senior. We are thinking an acre or two with a mfg. home in a semi-rural area, under 200k preferably. Will these counties work for this type plan?? Any info. greatly appreciated! sue-z
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 07:27 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,439,108 times
Very rural, the coyotes, lions and hawks will love your cats. You should have no problem with your plans as long as you can find flat ground, there is some in Shasta, less in Siskiyou. Siskiyou is pretty insular, pick you town well, you don't want to be the only white in a Hoopa town.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:14 AM

46 posts, read 455,126 times
It's interesting that this thread went up today... I was doing some apartment hunting on-line yesterday for Redding, and almost every single listing said that no cats were allowed. I think I found only one apartment that said they would even "consider cats". Is the Shasta/Redding area anti-pets??

Old 02-21-2007, 11:58 AM

31 posts, read 201,775 times
Default thanks

Thanks for input so far. The cats will be secured in chain link enclosure, the area I am in now has same kinds of predators so I have great fencing and they are inside building at night. I was thinking maybe settling around Yreka, is that an ok town for transplants? Forgive me for asking a dumb question, but what the
heck is a "Hoopa" town??? I did pass through the area a number of years ago but wasn't thinking relocating at the time so didn't check it out. I do remember Weed as seeming to have generally unfriendly vibes but only stopped for breakfast so that might be an unfair assumption?? Disconcerting about Redding having the specific "no cats" thing in apartment ads, usually ads just say "no pets" but doesn't specify a species?? Thanks again. Sue-Z

Old 02-21-2007, 02:33 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,439,108 times
Hoopa are Indians. Big res west of I5, Yreka etc are fine places.

Old 02-21-2007, 03:21 PM

46 posts, read 455,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sue-z View Post
Disconcerting about Redding having the specific "no cats" thing in apartment ads, usually ads just say "no pets" but doesn't specify a species?? Thanks again. Sue-Z
They also said "no dogs" but I was just concerned about cats since I have a cat... Sorry for the confusion!

Old 03-23-2007, 09:27 AM

1 posts, read 6,369 times
Default Pet-Friendly Shasta County

I'm working on a pet-friendly web page for an event in Shasta County and found your post in a search.

In the Redding area, there's no problem with lots of cats as long as you stay out of the incorporated areas. You should be able to find an acre or two of flat land not too far out. I think prices have gone insane like everywhere else, however. We moved away from there 3 years ago, so I'm a little out of touch. I do have a sweet, wonderful, super r.e. agent I can recommend, who won't drive you crazy. She actually cares more about people than money. Can you imagine that?

We lived in Igo with 8 or 9 cats. They were indoor/outdoor and the only one we lost to predators was a feral rescue that refused to stay within the 10 acres we had fenced and patroled by dedicated cat-loving dogs.

One word of warning about Shasta County--HOT!

Old 09-12-2008, 12:53 AM

1 posts, read 6,064 times
I live in Mt. Shasta. I have 7 indoor/outdoor cats and a dog. I live right on the main street through town. I'm lucky to live on a few acres, and I have wonderful neighbors, but I think this is a very pet friendly town. Pretty much everyone around me has at least a dog, and there are lots of cats. There's a really good feral cat program here that feeds and neuters ferals and a good sized humane society shelter.

There's a woman a few blocks away who has that cat fencing that curves in at the top so the cats can't climb out. Very cool. I used to be a fretter about my cats, but the only one I've lost, I'm pretty sure someone took. In fact, some racoons and foxes eat out of an outside food bowl I leave for a couple of feral cats. This has been going on for three or four years now, and luckily, none of the problems I would have expected have happened (knock on wood). Everyone waits their turn, and the only real arguments are my own cats bossing each other around.

Mt. Shasta is really a lovely spot, but it is rather expensive. Yreka is usually a little milder in the winter.

One last interesting note. I have a friend who lives several miles outside town in the county (Siskiyou). She has about as many dogs as I have cats. She said she can get a pack license which is alot cheeper than buying a license for each dog. That sounds pretty pet friendly to me!

Good luck finding your perfect retirement spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California