Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2012, 10:28 PM

19 posts, read 16,339 times

Advertisements

A few friends are considering travelling around America, either by hire car or RV, but where do you start when flying over from Australia. I know we need to consider weather, places to see etc...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...we only have four weeks to do a bit of travelling to see America. So i would like to see as much as we can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 12:49 AM

510 posts, read 430,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredwife View Post
A few friends are considering travelling around America, either by hire car or RV, but where do you start when flying over from Australia. I know we need to consider weather, places to see etc...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...we only have four weeks to do a bit of travelling to see America. So i would like to see as much as we can.
4 weeks is plenty of time. I'd recommend starting in late April or June.

Generally speaking I'd go DC > NYC > OHIO> CHICAGO > NEBRASKA > COLORADO (Aspen, Durango etc)> Grand Canyon > VEGAS > LA, (San Diego is great if you have the time)> SF > Home

That's a Northernish route, but you could try a Southern route like this:

DC > SC (Charleston) >Atlanta > FLORIDA (Disneyworld, Miami etc) > New Orleans > Texas (Austin, San Antonio) > Santa Fe > Grand Canyon > VEGAS > LA > SF > Home

Or you could reverse these courses. I'm not sure which coast is closer to Australia.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:52 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,955,069 times
Fly into LAX. Choose your mode of transport. If it's Winter, head east via the southern route. If it's not, head North, then East.

Bring me some meat pies, Velvet Crumbles, rissole sangas and Toohey's Extra Dry.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:32 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,353,873 times
I would say LA as well. Then again I live on the coast North of the LA area. Still it seems like the logical place to start coming from Australia.

Have you considered specific things that you would like to see? You could spend 4 weeks in Los Angeles and not see it all. You could also start there pick up many of the sites, Leave there for Las Vegas. Take a side trip to the Grand Canyon.

Like your country, the United States is large. So many things to see. I still have not seen it all. Plan ahead to get the most bang for your buck with this trip.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:46 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times
Google "USA by RV foreigners"

Start at LAX as recommened above especially during winter.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:09 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times
You have so many options, i would fly to New England and wrap up your trip in San Diego and fly back home from San Diego.

I plan on doing the same route some day, basically i'd do a backward "L" starting in Boston - NYC - DC - Charleston - St Augustine - (head west) - New Orleans - maybe Houston - San Antonio - Silver City - Grand Canyon - Vegas - Los Angeles and San Diego.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:04 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,463,986 times
With all due respect to the East Coast, I wouldn't try to go all the way there during a 4-week vacation. Would you advise someone flying into Sydney to go all the way to Perth? (This assumes you'll drop off your rental car close to where you rented it... if you do want to do a one-way cross-country trip as others have suggested, you'll have to look into drop-off charges.)

But anyway, there's plenty to see in the western U.S. Depending on the time of year, you could do a loop from LA or SF, taking in the California coast, Crater Lake, Portland, Seattle, Olympic National Park, the Cascades, Glacier National Park, Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore, then nip on down to Texas and visit Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, Big Bend, and up to New Mexico to see Santa Fe, the Four Corners, Monument Valley, the incredible national parks of southern Utah, the Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Death Valley (not in summer though), and Joshua Tree.

That could easily fill up four weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California