Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 08:36 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,508,532 times

Advertisements

OMG, ur all so OOOOLD!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 10:15 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,934,099 times
And don't you forget it sonny. Now hand me my prune juice and shaddap.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:04 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,468,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyenative01 View Post
OMG, ur all so OOOOLD!
Well, it beats the alternative!

As for elections, no one ever got rich betting on the collective intelligence or memory of the American electorate.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:34 PM

212 posts, read 640,706 times
Are we not already living in Northern Mexico and not Southern California?

Old 03-13-2009, 08:04 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,593,729 times
Quote:
No.
Unless the Supreme Court overturns Texas v. White or there is a constitutional amendment to overturn that 1866 SCOTUS decision which forbids the unilateral secession of states. Under Texas v. White, states can only secede through an act of Congress or constitutional amendment. There's zero chance of that happening, as many of the Deep South states would lose Federal money paid for by California taxpayers.

However, if CA somehow managed to become its own country, its fiscal problems would improve dramatically. CA is a donor state which pays more in taxes to the federal government than it recieves back, and an independent CA would get to keep that money. If California independence meant having the same relationship with the US that Canada has, I would have no problem with it at all.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:20 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,508,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
However, if CA somehow managed to become its own country, its fiscal problems would improve dramatically. CA is a donor state which pays more in taxes to the federal government than it recieves back, and an independent CA would get to keep that money. If California independence meant having the same relationship with the US that Canada has, I would have no problem with it at all.
Yeah, I don't think the Federal Government would appreciate California seceding, if only because of the economical dependency on the Golden State, and as you already mentioned, the taxes paid to DC. As they say: On its own, California would be the fourth or fifth biggest economy in the world...

Old 03-14-2009, 01:15 AM

1,115 posts, read 3,133,543 times
In the future I think things will go in the opposite direction with more territories and different countries joining together instead of seperating. I am sure that in a few decades the whole idea of having seperate countries will become a thing of the past as globalization keeps on rolling forward.

Old 03-14-2009, 06:31 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
In the future I think things will go in the opposite direction with more territories and different countries joining together instead of seperating. I am sure that in a few decades the whole idea of having seperate countries will become a thing of the past as globalization keeps on rolling forward.
Maybe, but didn't the opposite happen in the former USSR? Yugoslavia?

Old 03-14-2009, 08:37 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,593,729 times
Quote:
Yeah, I don't think the Federal Government would appreciate California seceding, if only because of the economical dependency on the Golden State, and as you already mentioned, the taxes paid to DC. As they say: On its own, California would be the fourth or fifth biggest economy in the world...
The Economist recently said eighth largest, about on the level of Spain or Italy.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:09 AM

16 posts, read 47,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathegg88 View Post
Are we not already living in Northern Mexico and not Southern California?
Um... checking your blurb under your name... where it says "from"... unless we had one heck of a seismic event... Pittsburgh, PA is neither in Southern California or Northern Mexico!!! Then again... maybe you have a huge influx of Mexicans and Surfers in Pittsburgh??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California