Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2010, 07:18 PM

767 posts, read 1,743,967 times

Advertisements

I've read threads in other states’ message boards in which many of the posters are opposed to Californians moving into their states, esp the western inland states, and will explicitly or implicitly tell Californians to stay out.

It makes me wonder how many California-bound immigrants from those very states have those attitudes, and yet they ask for, are given and benefit from information and advice from Californians on this board.

Does anyone see the double standard here? Yes, I know, life’s not fair, but the question is: should we be helping those people to come here if they would tell us to stay out of their states?

Yes, double standards exist, but I wonder if we're foolish for rewarding those who practice them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 07:33 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
I'm not going to do something moronic just because other people happen to do it.

And how do you know that the people who are coming here are "those who practice them"?

Old 07-03-2010, 09:38 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
should we be helping those people to come here if they would tell us to stay out of their states?
"Those states" are states like Colorado, Oregon, Arizona, Utah, Idaho, maybe Texas. Unfortunately, the people who are moving to California are from places like new york and and boston.

I'd rather have ten Coloradoans or Oregonians move to California than one new yorker.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:16 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
"Those states" are states like Colorado, Oregon, Arizona, Utah, Idaho, maybe Texas. Unfortunately, the people who are moving to California are from places like new york and and boston.

I'd rather have ten Coloradoans or Oregonians move to California than one new yorker.
Really? I just saw 3 threads on Texas to California moves. I don't think it's a simple issue as some people make it seem.

People come to CA from every state. Many then leave and go elsewhere which gives the illusion that "Californians" are fleeing the state and invading other states. Not exactly true but it makes for great storytelling I suppose.

There has always been a large number of folks who retire outside of CA, because their money goes farther. And people leave to get the big house too. To each their own.

Old 07-04-2010, 01:51 PM

767 posts, read 1,743,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Really? I just saw 3 threads on Texas to California moves.
This is actually an example of what I'm referring to. If those people were viewing the Texas forum on this site or if they didn't participate in discussion on this site but they encountered people from California moving into their neighborhoods in Texas, what would their reaction be?

Would it be something like "why don't you go back to California?"

If so, I wonder why we're helping those people.

Old 07-04-2010, 02:09 PM

705 posts, read 1,661,961 times
I think we should help, California has plenty room for new residents. Plenty people are moving out of California as well. People that reject Californians moving to new states on the basis of their wide ranging stereotypes are morons.

Old 07-04-2010, 02:18 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
I want to be helpful but here, on the forums, you often run into folks who are doing more dreaming than moving. It can be frustrating when they tell you their situation and ask for advice and the only thing you can say is "stay where you are". Not because they aren't welcome but because we alreay know it's not going to happen.

Old 07-04-2010, 02:22 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times
The people who should be helped would be businesses trying to relocate to CA. Cut their development fees and taxes and maybe they might even hire some people. CA has a passion for expending money on non producers which is why they are in this mess and why we left.

Old 07-04-2010, 02:42 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I want to be helpful but here, on the forums, you often run into folks who are doing more dreaming than moving. It can be frustrating when they tell you their situation and ask for advice and the only thing you can say is "stay where you are". Not because they aren't welcome but because we alreay know it's not going to happen.
As in "I live in Asswipe, Iowa, I'm 19 years old, didn't graduate from high school, I work at McDonalds, and I've always dreamed about living in the Cali I've seen on TV and in movies. I'd like to live at the beach, in a safe neighborhood, in a house and my budget is 500 bucks a month for rent. I won't have a car and I don't have a license, so do you think I'll need a car in Cali?"

Yeah, it does get old.

Old 07-04-2010, 02:44 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
I think it is funny with the majority of people that seem to have a dream to move here.

"I am 20 years old, unemployed, and hate my city and state. I will be moving to LA with my savings of $3,000 and should be able to get a job as an actor as soon as I get to LA. Then again if it does take me a a few months to get picked up then I was thinking I could work part time some where and make it untill I get that big break everyone gets when they come to California." Makes for good reading but not the best of plans.

I prefer to help those with a better plan:

"I am a 24 year old college graduate that has just accepted a position in "Pick a City", California. My only debt is some student loan debt that will cost me $250 a month. I will be making a starting salary of $50,000. I am single with no kids. and would like to get to know "Pick a City". I plan to rent while I am here and have a budget of $1,200 a month for rent and have seen some places within "Pick a City" that rent for that amount. Please let me know what to expect in "Pick a City". I have searched the forums for information and like what I have read so far. Still I would like to know if their are things that I should avoid while living in "Pick a City."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California