Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 11:31 PM

46 posts, read 126,941 times

Advertisements

If the fiscal budget is not passed, we will likely be issued IOU's for our next paycheck. I doubt my landlord will take an IOU.

Here is a news video of the latest. According to the news, we have not had IOU's since the Great Depression. Many programs may need to be cut such as Healthy Start, Calworks, etc. Please see the video.

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/index.php?cl=14149643
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 11:41 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
A friend rents office space to the State and has already dealt with IOU's on several occasions...

He upped the rent at renewal because of it...

Old 06-24-2009, 11:45 PM

What a lucky friend you have. Good for him. Unfortunately, I dont think many of us will have that luxery.

Here is another video and the controversy between Dems and Republicans.

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/index.php?cl=14146274

Old 06-24-2009, 11:51 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss cali View Post
If the fiscal budget is not passed, we will likely be issued IOU's for our next paycheck. I doubt my landlord will take an IOU.

Here is a news video of the latest. According to the news, we have not had IOU's since the Great Depression.
Has Pete Wilson already been forgotten? Although that early '90s budget crisis was nowhere near as bad, and it was resolved not long after the IOUs went out.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:55 PM

Quote:
What a lucky friend you have. Good for him. Unfortunately, I dont think many of us will have that luxery.

Here is another video and the controversy between Dems and Republicans.

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/index.php?cl=14146274
He's very talented, self made man with only High School Education.

The building he rents to the State is a building that he built... lots more flexibility when you own the property outright.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:03 AM

And to think that some of the state's facilities will be emptied out and their staff layed off. That bugs me that your friend raised the rent. I would not feel too secure about it. I have a feeling this is just the begining of a much larger lay off and spending cuts.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:29 AM

Quote:
And to think that some of the state's facilities will be emptied out and their staff layed off. That bugs me that your friend raised the rent. I would not feel too secure about it. I have a feeling this is just the begining of a much larger lay off and spending cuts.
Could be... back when he first leased it to the State he rented it below market because renting to the State is 100% secure... right? Well not anymore.

The rent was raised several years ago because it took almost 5 months to get paid after one round of IOU's. When you have bad credit you also have limited options. Also, the State also pays in arrears... so you are already 30 days in the hole starting out.

His position was renting to the State was no longer a sure bet.

Lots of property going vacant... and with every vacant commercial property is an assessment appeal to the county. Commercial Property is valued by the Income it produces... vacant property in an area with high vacancies is proof the property value has fallen and grounds for adjustment.

Thankfully the residential 1 to 4 market is very strong right now...

I do know contractors that no longer bid on State Projects... too complicated, time consuming with no guarantee of payment upon completion...

This is not the CA that I knew growing up here...

Old 06-25-2009, 12:35 AM

1,687 posts, read 6,074,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Has Pete Wilson already been forgotten? Although that early '90s budget crisis was nowhere near as bad, and it was resolved not long after the IOUs went out.
In 1992 it was something like $350 million in IOUs issued to state employees.

I also remember the same thing in about 1980 or 1981. Curmudgeon or someone else might remember for sure.

It seems to me the state issued daily lists of the payroll warrants that could be cashed. Banks and credit unions gave most state employees immediate access and held the warrant until the state paid it to help customers.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:36 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
the deficit is equal to medical.
no medical no deficit.
illegals greatly use medical.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:39 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
In 1992 it was something like $350 million in IOUs issued to state employees.

I also remember the same thing in about 1980 or 1981. Curmudgeon or someone else might remember for sure.

It seems to me the state issued daily lists of the payroll warrants that could be cashed. Banks and credit unions gave most state employees immediate access and held the warrant until the state paid it to help customers.
As stretched as banks are today, I don't know if they'd do that again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: