Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 02:48 PM

251 posts, read 825,359 times

Advertisements

We're going to transfer our son from Canadian High school (grade 10) to Californian (Folsom area). I assume that majority of the subjects are pretty similar, however, i concerned about Spanish and US History/geography.
Is Spanish mandatory over there?( In Canada he studies French as foreign language.)?
Is US History/geography mandatory?

Our daughter is going to Grade 5....similar questions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 03:11 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
It will probably differ from school district to district.
If they get too unfriendly you can always go with a GED. To graduate from high school in CA is the equal to 8 grade skills. But I think he needs to be 18 to take the GED.
A private school may have lesser demands. Give language as years credit for transfer. Your daughter will likely have to meet the full criteria since she is younger.
It was 40 years ago for me we only needed a foreign language then. I think Spanish is only a requirement in So CA, we have family in the north of the state and only needed a foreign language.

One other idea is city college, kids can attend when in 11 or 12 grade. Two nights a week give transferable credit to the high schools. I did so back in the 70's and had no classes in my last half of high school.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:13 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
Spanish isn't mandatory, generally if one is on a college prep track at least one foreign language (most schools offer Spanish and French) is required--I think currently 3 years. American history is a high school graduation requirement, geography may be for college prep.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:14 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf View Post
We're going to transfer our son from Canadian High school (grade 10) to Californian (Folsom area). I assume that majority of the subjects are pretty similar, however, i concerned about Spanish and US History/geography.
Is Spanish mandatory over there?( In Canada he studies French as foreign language.)?
Is US History/geography mandatory?

Our daughter is going to Grade 5....similar questions
He can take any foreign language that is offered. Spanish is recommended as it is used so much, but no, it is not manatory or I certainly have never heard it was. Yes, US Hiistoy will probably be required.

Nita

Old 07-23-2009, 03:23 PM

Can anyone give us name/author/ISBN of the Grade 9 -10 US History book?
We have family in CT and NJ, but not sure if they used the same US History book as in CA...

P.S> Sent e-mails to Cali schools - no reply at all .....

Old 07-23-2009, 03:40 PM

301 posts, read 1,510,727 times
Your son will be assigned to a public high school depending on the location of your residence. The school will be located in a district. You will need to find out what the graduation requirements are for that district. The state of California sets its requirements, then individual districts can add additional requirements.

The school is the only one who will be able to tell you what textbooks they use.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:08 PM

188 posts, read 920,045 times
U.S. history is taught in 11th grade and Geography is taken for 12th, at least for myself and near everyone I know. World History was 10th grade and 9th was State History I think, but that may differ. French is tres bien, as well.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalker400 View Post
U.S. history is taught in 11th grade and Geography is taken for 12th, at least for myself and near everyone I know. World History was 10th grade and 9th was State History I think, but that may differ. French is tres bien, as well.
OK. World History ... I don't worry, my son probably knows it better than teacher. And State History can be a problem he knows only that former Terminator- now governor of the State

Old 07-24-2009, 12:53 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Have your son continue with the French. What it will help with is the University of California System. Funny that with the UC system they require a language and the California State University Sytem does not have that requirement. Yes we have 2 systems within the same state. On top of that is the many private schools like University of Southern California, Pepperdine, and others. If your son is fluent in French and would prefer a third language I would suggest Spanish. The more you know the better chances in the long run.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:55 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,875,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf View Post
OK. World History ... I don't worry, my son probably knows it better than teacher. And State History can be a problem he knows only that former Terminator- now governor of the State
He won't be required to know everything about the subject when he starts the class, he is supposed to know everything when he finishes the class. that's why they have the class...!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: