Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 02:21 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The warm winters..imo, is one reason there are 38 million people living in CA today.
GET REAL: Too many people on these threads, only talk about Southern California along the coast. They don't admit that California is not the same everywhere. California varies in climate, and weather more than other states. California has some of the coldest, and hottest weather in the U.S. Some of the worst snow and rain in the country. Warm winters, are only in a small portion of the State of California.

California also has some of the worst snow in U.S. holding some all time records.

Record for 1 month Tamarack, Calif. 390 inches.

Record for 1 storm Mt. Shasta Ski Bowl, Calif. 189 inches. (over 15 feet in one storm)

Record 24 hour snowfall 67.0 inches Echo Summit CA

One Season snowfall 884 inches Tamarack

Record snow on ground 451 inches Tamarack

And some rainfall records in U.S.

Record 1 month rainfall 71.54 inches Helen Mine, CA

Record 1 season rainfall 145.48 inches Wilder Ridge, Humboldt County

Coldest temperature -45 Degrees Fahrenheit Boca Ca

Highest temperature 134 degrees Greenland Ranch

One of the biggest dangers in California is from floods due to rainstorms. I have personally seen the Eel River in California go from a mild small river, to 14 miles wide. I know, as I flew as a pilot search and rescue missions over the river looking for stranded people December of 1955. All available planes in the air from dawn to dark. One pilot and an observer/radio operator. You would find someone, radio down, and a boat would be dispatched to go rescue them and take them to shelters. There were whole towns wiped off the map by that flood on some of the rivers involved.

Too many people on these threads, only talk about Southern California along the coast. They don't admit that California is not the same everywhere. They only talk about their own back yards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 04:34 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,017,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackall View Post
Easy to answer. California teachers are union goons that are more concerned with their own gain and controlling politicians than educating the children.
....and the administration is far worse.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:32 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,485,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
GET REAL: Too many people on these threads, only talk about Southern California along the coast. They don't admit that California is not the same everywhere. California varies in climate, and weather more than other states. California has some of the coldest, and hottest weather in the U.S. Some of the worst snow and rain in the country. Warm winters, are only in a small portion of the State of California.

California also has some of the worst snow in U.S. holding some all time records.

Record for 1 storm Mt. Shasta Ski Bowl, Calif. 189 inches. (over 15 feet in one storm)

One of the biggest dangers in California is from floods due to rainstorms. I have personally seen the Eel River in California go from a mild small river, to 14 miles wide. I know, as I flew as a pilot search and rescue missions over the river looking for stranded people December of 1955. All available planes in the air from dawn to dark. One pilot and an observer/radio operator. You would find someone, radio down, and a boat would be dispatched to go rescue them and take them to shelters. There were whole towns wiped off the map by that flood on some of the rivers involved.

Too many people on these threads, only talk about Southern California along the coast. They don't admit that California is not the same everywhere. They only talk about their own back yards.
Foresaid "worst snow" is what provides us much of our water. Rain-haters forget about this.

That being said, I appreciate that AT LEAST someone is bringing up the point that California is full of all sorts of climatic surprises.

Bakersfield is not like Baker (but closer than any other two cities I will mention here. )
San Rafael is not like San Diego.
Cloverdale is not like Clovis.
Ukiah is definitely NOT like Yucaipa.
Arcata is definitely NOT like Arcadia.
Alturas is definitely NOT like Alhambra or Alta Loma.

Old 08-25-2013, 03:50 AM

132 posts, read 159,564 times
this article should be called: "dear california, my job is moving to washington so I have to leave"

Old 08-25-2013, 06:48 AM

2 posts, read 3,843 times
lol the la times :/

Old 08-25-2013, 07:26 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBIF View Post
this article should be called: "dear california, my job is moving to washington so I have to leave"
Um, did you read the article?

Old 08-25-2013, 03:25 PM
pll

1,112 posts, read 2,486,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post

That's wonderful! There is something for everyone in CA.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:40 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,908,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBIF View Post
Not to mention it is from 2009 and some hater dug up this opinion piece four years later just so he could pretend as if it wasn't ancient news.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:42 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Not to mention it is from 2009 and some hater dug up this opinion piece four years later just so he could pretend as if it wasn't ancient news.
Some "hater"? Right. And BTW, the author of the article is hoping to return to CA this year, after realizing she made a mistake.

Next time, read the whole thread before you blast someone.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:57 PM

11 posts, read 15,958 times
I always say Los Angeles contains everything you want - and everything you don't want - all in one place. I think the same is true of the entire state. It's more of a medium-sized nation than a state. Big enough for everyone to hate and love - like Moby Dick. Even if you like it, there's always ambivalence. Just when you hate it and are ready to throw in the towel, there's something that keeps you here. Even when you love life and everything is great, you get stuck on the 405 in rush hour traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California