Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 06:49 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,021,530 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this should go here or Education but....

Dropouts costing California $1.1 billion annually in juvenile crime costs -- latimes.com (http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-dropouts24-2009sep24,0,1426878.story - broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATimes.com
High school dropouts, who are more likely to commit crimes than their peers with diplomas, cost the state $1.1 billion annually in law enforcement and victim costs while still minors, according to a study being released today.
This would be laughable if it weren't so dangerous. I mean, am I the only person who feels that the state should be levying fines against the parents (it says these are still minors, meaning the parents should be responsible) to recoup that money? In my mind, it's both the school system AND the parents that are responsible for making sure that the kid not only gets the education they need, but also is not committing crimes in the neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 08:26 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,957,828 times
The sad part about the situation is that we bring in immigrants to do jobs that these "drop-outs" could perform.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:39 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
The sad part about the situation is that we bring in immigrants to do jobs that these "drop-outs" could perform.
Who do you think a big chunk of these dropouts belong to?

Old 09-24-2009, 09:22 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post

Dropouts costing California $1.1 billion annually in juvenile crime costs -- latimes.com (http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-dropouts24-2009sep24,0,1426878.story - broken link)

This would be laughable if it weren't so dangerous. I mean, am I the only person who feels that the state should be levying fines against the parents (it says these are still minors, meaning the parents should be responsible) to recoup that money? In my mind, it's both the school system AND the parents that are responsible for making sure that the kid not only gets the education they need, but also is not committing crimes in the neighborhood.
I had posted the story over in P&OC, it actually fits in a few forums, including right here.

I thought the recommendations were odd, to increase teacher pay and lower class sizes. Not very much in tune with the California budget issues, nor well linked as root causes of the problem in the UC Santa Barbara study.

If a kid wants to drop out of school, are we really better off by making them continue to attend??? Giving them repeated failing grades is better than dropping out?

Old 09-24-2009, 10:39 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,774,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post

Aside from a few White and Asian kids who drop out because being bullied has destroyed them psychologically, most of the dropouts are members of 'protected classes'. These 'protected' peoples are sacred cows for both the California and National governments. Everything is set up to transfer wealth from intelligent middle class people to these 'protected' people. Fining them for the crimes of their children would run counter to government agendas. Nobody is going to make these people responsible for ANYTHING.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:17 AM

1,664 posts, read 3,957,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Who do you think a big chunk of these dropouts belong to?
So you are saying that these drop-outs are the immigrants?

Old 09-25-2009, 12:24 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
So you are saying that these drop-outs are the immigrants?
Their kids.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:35 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
without the strong unopposed leadership of assimulation, the schools are disfunctional --subject to the will of special interests-- chronically attempting to mold children to the way they want them for a new social order. this new social order leaves a lota bright kids in the dark.
and rewards or disregards bad behavior in the interests of the "larger goal".
the system like our disfunctional auto plants must come to an end.
voucher sooner the better.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:20 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
I don't think it's the schools fault. It souldn't be anyway. School, and education, is a goal and a priveledge. People forget that. It's not the schools responsibility to do anything else but educate those who want to be educated. Everyone else can find their own way, within the law, or rot.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:35 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,478,621 times
I dropped out in 10th grade (big surprise huh?) and I am white. It's not all immigrants. I am 33 and have never been to jail. I have no criminal record and obey the law. I work hard to secure a roof over my head and to build a life. My plan does not include college. Why is this so looked down upon? Why not respect all forms of work? Without guys like me who would fix your sink? Your car? Not everyone wants a fat degree, just keep that in mind and not all of us are trash. FYI: Did attain my GED and some college, but found it was not for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California