Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 10:21 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,246,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbunniii View Post
I guess 911 calls won't work from pay phones anymore. Or are you expected to deposit $300 in coins?
Well it is a 900 number after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 10:22 AM

1,044 posts, read 2,767,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
This is California. Where the whole damn world wants to come and live. As long as there's a wait and millions upon millions who come here, schemes like this will flourish. People will pay it. Never under estimate what many folks will be willing to put up with and pay if it means being able to enjoy a tasty fish taco in February sunshine while it's 80º out.
From many parts of the country, you can fly round-trip to California and eat that fish taco for less than $300.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:41 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,020,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
WTH do we pay taxes for??

Oh, that's right to fund the pensions and healthcare for all the gov't employees who give money to our politicans.
You're right. The government employees OWN the politicians.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:24 PM

138 posts, read 571,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy1369 View Post
SOURCE (http://cbs13.com/local/tracy.911.calls.2.1502690.html - broken link)
Discussion on Consumerist

How stupid and embarrassing. Seriously, have we sunk this low?

There is absolutely no truth to this - Tracy residents DO NOT PAY FOR 911 CALLS - we recently moved here and checked it out with PD - no, false, not true, they have no idea what that was put in the media - there is no truth to it whatsoever. They are not even "thinking" of doing such a thing to the residents.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
They are doing this precisely because people aren't paying as much in taxes. State income tax collections are down 10% since 2007. Tracy is particularly badly hit by the housing bust. Their property tax collections are down 22% since FY07 and their sales tax collections are down 15%. In the mean time, the number of people still living in the city and the amount of services they need to provide is unchanged...

This isn't directed at just you - but at everyone in this thread who is pulling stuff out of their ass as they go along... we recently moved to Tracy and there is no truth to this whatsoever. We called because of course we wanted to make sure if we call 911 we can pay for it, and find out exactly what it will cost us for what service if we call 911. We called and verified later, in case the first person we talked to at PD was drunk or whatnot and lying to us. THERE IS NO CHARGE WHATSOEVER FOR ANYONE - TRACY RESIDENTS OR NON RESIDENTS - TO CALL 911. As far as Tracy's budget, they have been hit hard by forclosures. We just bought a house for $185,000 that sold for $600,000 4 years ago. This whole state of California has got to wake up and realize the gravy train left a long time ago, and everyone needs to make changes to their spending and living habits. It won't kill people to be a little humble and live a little leaner. This all started in the 1980s when everyone had plastic and charged everythign they wanted for anything they wanted... and now it is time for society to pay the piper. California's boom days are over, the Indians and Pakastanians are moving back home with their Master's degrees and taking what they gleaned from here - to there. We need to all face the music and pay the piper, the glory rolling in the money days are over. That doesn't mean we can't live a good life, and spreading rumors like people in Tracy have to pay $300 for a 911 call does nothing to help the Tracy economy. So knock it off please. I work for the government, I think all government employees need to wake up and stop demanding so much crap and benefits that the private sector no longer gets. Unions need to be more humble, public sevants need to work a little harder, we all of us (private and public sector) needs to come down a few notches, learn to cook a pot of stew, learn to sew a button on that shirt, none of that will hurt us and will make people and families stronger if they allow it. I'm thrilled with the housing "bust" because we can finally afford a home! I'm sorry for those that bought during the boom time, and I remember thinking how can they afford that? And nobody back in 2005 wanted just a house - they had to have all granite counters, gut perfectly good kitchens and rebuild, they had to have all marble bathrooms, top quality wood flooring, the best of everything, all bought on credit. Let this be a hard lesson learned - when my parents bought their house in the 1950s they went years without drapes and rugs, they waited until they could pay for something, then paid cash. I remember when we got a new sofa, it was a huge huge deal, now people toss out their living room furniture to Goodwill (perfectly good) because they see something else that caught their eye and they have to have. These changes will do America, and especially California good. And it doesn't help matters to perpetuate lies (like Tracy residents pay $300 for 911 calls) - that will scare people off from living here. The truth is there are some fantastic deals to be found in Tracy CA, and it is a great place to live, especially if you don't mind the commute (we don't, we travel together and hit the HOV lanes).

Old 10-04-2010, 12:09 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,020,088 times
I do know for a fact loma linda charges $300.00 per 911 call unless you pay a set amount annually (around 50.00).

I DONT trust govts (city, county, state & federal).

Old 10-04-2010, 01:41 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,306,022 times
Technically, Loma Linda doesn't charge for a 911 call, they charge for an EMS related response. If you call for a fire or other non-EMS related reason there is no charge.

Some health insurance policies actually cover the amount Loma Linda charges.

I don't think I'd be a fan of this kind of program.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:20 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,146,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving2tracy View Post
This isn't directed at just you - but at everyone in this thread who is pulling stuff out of their ass as they go along... we recently moved to Tracy and there is no truth to this whatsoever. We called because of course we wanted to make sure if we call 911 we can pay for it, and find out exactly what it will cost us for what service if we call 911. We called and verified later, in case the first person we talked to at PD was drunk or whatnot and lying to us. THERE IS NO CHARGE WHATSOEVER FOR ANYONE - TRACY RESIDENTS OR NON RESIDENTS - TO CALL 911.
<snip>
It isn't that I doubt you or anything but I think the reason people think Tracy is charging for 911 calls is because the news broadcast it. e.g. Tracy Residents Now Have To Pay For 911 Calls - cbs13.com (http://cbs13.com/local/tracy.911.calls.2.1502690.html - broken link)

Old 10-08-2010, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
It isn't that I doubt you or anything but I think the reason people think Tracy is charging for 911 calls is because the news broadcast it. e.g. Tracy Residents Now Have To Pay For 911 Calls - cbs13.com (http://cbs13.com/local/tracy.911.calls.2.1502690.html - broken link)

Yes, and Tracy PD said they have no idea why that article was published because there is no truth to it. Never was any truth to it. Goes to show you can't trust what you hear on the news or read in the newspaper.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:03 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,274,385 times
It should be worse for the morons who call 911. Remember this when you call 911 for real and you are put on hold. Why? Because some IDIOT calls 911 (all of these are calls I have PERSONALLY taken):

I need help balancing my checkbook.

What time is it?

Can I have the number too...

I want to let you know we just had an earthquake. Ma'am, do you need an ambulance or anything? No. I was just calling to let you know.

How do I get to the Golden Gate Bridge?

I could go on and on. You people who think this is a joke, it isn't. People misuse the 911 system, more often then you change your underwear. We have people call a thousand times in an hour. MORONS who have their cellphones in their pockets, purses, etc and it rubs against something and calls 911. Remember you all knowing people, who watch CSI, etc and know EVERYTHING about police work: You IDIOTS, which cellphones rub against something and call 911? Guess what, the police have to go to each and everyone of those calls.

Oh, but I had to wait hours for the police to come for my burglary report. Because IDIOTS, such as yourself, set off their 911 "emergency" buttons by mistake.

Ignorance is bliss...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California