Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 09:55 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,373,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah I've been there View Post
I've found my dream RV! Finally!!
I know, right?!?
@ Malamute: I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 02:00 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,606,291 times
I saw the Airstream Interstate for the first time a couple of weeks ago and like it except for the price haha. But looking to get into RVing in a few years and doing all my research now. But it seems to me that RVing is is not cheaper than driving a regular car and staying in hotels, so it is actually a lifestyle or way or traveling that you choose for the fun of it as opposed to choosing it because it's less expensive. Can experienced RV people tell me if it is truly less expensive? If the cost of a basic RV is say $50,000 then to me the upfront and ongoing costs (including gas and sales tax and maintenance and campsite fees) seem to add up to more than staying in hotels.

Last edited by fumbling; 01-15-2014 at 03:15 PM..

Old 01-15-2014, 04:00 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,067,115 times
very subjective to the person / expectations / flexibility.

How many of U?

U mention a Class B, and also 'Nice RV'; implying Fulltime? Class B is great for TRIPS / USA wide travel and 2 people MAX (one preferred). pets optional. They are not big enough to LIVE in (no storage / laundry / minimal ref and cooking size).

Class A & C can be had in all sizes, shapes, and prices. $1000 to $1m (and more I'm sure)
then there is the 'trailer' route...

Yes, it can be spendy, ($50+/ night plus $250. day fuel and HIGH maint costs) and it can be very cheap (boondocking on BLM land and not traveling / using fuel).

Need to tailor to your needs, but if looking at an Airstream Interstate you are out of my league. I looked at Sprinter conversions in 2004, when they were priced at $67k and selling for <$50k (new). Last I looked they were priced equivalent to MORE than a decent Class A. and there are BARGAINS on Diesel pushers that are many times more RV appropriate (for living) than a Sprinter.

I have a $25k Rialta that gets 18-22mpg, but I use it very little. I prefer to fly ($89)/drive (rent), or take my 50mpg Passat wagons (that burn FREE diesel alternatives). I stay in $10/ night 'hospitality guest homes' worldwide (for over 25 yrs). Excellent, safe CLEAN and informative. I eat for $3/day via grocery store produce discards.

For camping I use Free Campgrounds for RVs 90% of my 'nights' are under $25. But at 20 mpg, I can't afford to go very far, when I can fly 1000 miles for $69. (Just booked 3 more trips this week).

Several co-workers retired and full-timed, and had a great time till they ran out of money or health.
For me... I buy and sell homes / duplexes, so... If I wnt to enjoy the East coast, I will go there and buy an undervalued property near an airport and fly in when I want to vacation, and rent it out when I don't. I keep 'guest homes' on my props so I always have a free place to stay when I'm in the area. They are rented out for 1% of their capital cost... I.e. if bought for $100k, they rent for $1,000/month, and give me a good cash flow. I can't get that from my RV, but if a person is wealthy and re-aligns priorities... it will all flow to their favor.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:03 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,283,360 times
When we were in the market for an RV a couple of years ago, we scope out EVERYTHING-class A, B, C, truck campers, etc. We wanted something fairly small but big enough for the two of us to be comfortable. We pretty much narrowed it down to Class B or a Truck Camper. Since we didn't have a truck, we would have had to purchase one for the camper.

After much searching, we decided on this: Vista Cruiser MB Motorhomes by Gulf Stream

What sold me is that the bed & the table are separate. My husband's sister has a camper van and she has to keep changing the bed to the table and back again. I knew that would have been a pain. The shower is tiny but we usually used the shower at campsites. I also love the fact that it has a queen size bed.

As for how it drives, well, I don't drive so my husband does all of the driving and he said it drives like the car. It is only 22 feet so it is easy to maneuver. He says he can make sharp turns with it. It is a diesel and it gets about 22 MPG.

We love the fact that it is our own. We don't have to worry about lugging a suitcase into a motel every night and fear of leaving something behind. Also, what I love about it is I have to go and there isn't a place around, Hubby just pulls over to the side of the road and well...you get the picture.

Last summer we took our first BIG trip around the country and we LOVE it. We have had so many people come up to us and comment about the van. This summer we are planning another trip-this time around New England.

Cat

Last edited by CatwomanofV; 03-14-2014 at 12:22 PM..

Old 03-14-2014, 10:34 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
I saw the Airstream Interstate for the first time a couple of weeks ago and like it except for the price haha. But looking to get into RVing in a few years and doing all my research now. But it seems to me that RVing is is not cheaper than driving a regular car and staying in hotels, so it is actually a lifestyle or way or traveling that you choose for the fun of it as opposed to choosing it because it's less expensive. Can experienced RV people tell me if it is truly less expensive? If the cost of a basic RV is say $50,000 then to me the upfront and ongoing costs (including gas and sales tax and maintenance and campsite fees) seem to add up to more than staying in hotels.
Yes, it's more a way of life. Really if it were about money, the smart thing would be to not travel at all -- there is going to be more expense in traveling then in staying in one place.

It's a lot different than staying hotels and motels.

I would guess that people who stay in hotels and motels generally always traveled that way and preferred it over camping and that people who get into RVing were more into camping and "graduated" into RVs. They might be older or just feel they've stayed in enough tents and then pop-ups but still like the idea of campgrounds and some semblence of setting up camp -- folding chairs, bonfires, outdoor space.

Or they want to travel for weeks or months and still have a place of their own, their own kitchen and utensils, the same bed to sleep in.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:23 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,180,605 times
I'm back to looking
around for a small motorhome,
so this thread is interesting.
I used to drive a 24 foot long
motor home & it wasn't difficult at all....
I'd like to get something
smaller, these days-
but it's still gotta have all
the features of a typical motor home.

Old 03-16-2014, 03:25 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
I'm back to looking around for a small motorhome...
small as in short like the 24?
or small is in low/narrow like an airstream?

Quote:
...but it's still gotta have all the features of a typical motor home.
Then it's gonna come with the same wheelbase/width and height as the 24...
If you know how to use mirrors and back up cameras another ten feet won't matter much.

Old 03-17-2014, 06:55 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,180,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
small as in short like the 24?
or small is in low/narrow like an airstream?

Then it's gonna come with the same wheelbase/width and height as the 24...
If you know how to use mirrors and back up cameras another ten feet won't matter much.
Low & narrow.....
I guess I'll look at the airstreams....
I just don't need something that big
& I also want something
a little better on gas & easier to maintain.
I'm new to looking at these,
I didn't buy the one I was driving,
so I have no idea where to start.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing