Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 02:08 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,437,282 times

Advertisements

On one hand, it'd be easier to access my email - and C-D
On the other hand, I can see families going camping, and people staring at their devices instead of chasing lizards and hiking.

"A California parks advocacy group is calling for the Parks Department to ensure wireless internet access in all state parks. The Parks Forward report was presented to John Jarvis, the head of the National Park Service, last week."

Article and Poll by KPCC Public Radio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 05:39 PM

19,772 posts, read 22,673,762 times
I'd prefer not in National Parks. What states want to do is up to them.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:18 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,789,634 times
Farley Mowat's opinion (just before he died) included here:
WiFi in some of Canada's national parks gets a fuzzy reception from campers | The Current with Anna Maria Tremonti | CBC Radio

Old 05-12-2014, 09:42 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
My experience with wi-fi in any campground or mobile home park is that it's mostly notional. If you go up to the office, you might get a reasonable signal. Otherwise it's hit-or-miss. So if they want to install wi-fi in office/visitor center in state parks, I don't see a problem with it.

The people who are going to be staring at their devices already are doing that, using their smart phones and data signals.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:39 PM

480 posts, read 1,183,935 times
Being in contact is almost essential nowadays for many.

As a business owner, I might be able to unplug for a few hours but being totally out of touch for an extended period just isn't an option. When one of my clients calls, I have to be able to respond. Even a few days off-the-grid can be a show stopper.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:21 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,373,160 times
"A California parks advocacy group is calling for the Parks Department to ensure wireless internet access in all state parks."
If that advocacy group is planning on paying for and maintaining wireless service in every park, fine, even though I would not use it. Otherwise, NO. I go camping to get away from such silliness. If I'm ever full-timing I'll stay in commercial parks with wifi when I need to get plugged back in for a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDillo View Post
I might be able to unplug for a few hours but being totally out of touch for an extended period just isn't an option.
You realize you can get email access and even surf the web through any smartphone these days just by using cell service, right? You don't need wifi for that. Of course, if you're too far off the grid to get cell service, then there are other limitations to doing business at that point anyways.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:36 PM

231 posts, read 382,158 times
Being connected is an essential part of my job. When I am on vacation, I bury my cell phone deep in the glove box of my car. Especially if I am out camping with the family or enjoying a national park. I also have a rule with my family when camping, not electronic devises aside from a camera. So at least I don't need it.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:11 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
On one hand, it'd be easier to access my email - and C-D
On the other hand, I can see families going camping, and people staring at their devices instead of chasing lizards and hiking.

"A California parks advocacy group is calling for the Parks Department to ensure wireless internet access in all state parks. The Parks Forward report was presented to John Jarvis, the head of the National Park Service, last week."

Article and Poll by KPCC Public Radio
You can do both. Sometimes the weather is perfect and you can go hiking and sightseeing but you might want to hike only 8 hours and then crash. Or it might be a cold rainy day and if everyone is cooped up, it can be better with entertainment.

I used to have a small-vcr-tv that used batteries when camping with the kids for that reason --- and there's nothing wrong with gadgets as long as they're not the only thing.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:43 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,437,282 times
Totally agree with the bad weather analogy

Old 05-22-2014, 09:27 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Totally agree with the bad weather analogy
Read a book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing