Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 09:45 PM

6 posts, read 9,769 times

Advertisements

Complete disclaimer my husband and I are completely new to the RVing world, and don't have a clue as to what goes into owning an RV.

My husband and I have been throwing around the idea of buying an RV. We would be using it for weekend trips with our triplets, and longer trips during the summer. We live in Charleston and would mostly be using it to travel to Florida (we are annual disney pass holders). This would be purely for cost saving on hotels and food. We have a truck that can haul, and would be paying cash for the RV. But my question is after you pay for gas, and to hook up at sites which isn't too cheap anymore, along with maintenance do you really save any money? Or are we better off just staying in hotels?? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 10:15 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
You may break even. That is a huge maybe. In all honesty I doubt you'll save much money. Sure, you have a pickup. However the mileage goes down due to weight, wind and time. You're right fuel costs are there. Maintenance isn't always cheap. If you and your husband are handy and have some skills and tools you can do ok.

Then there comes the parking the beast. Campsites run anywhere from free plan to drop $20 to $50 depending on where you park it and whether you want electrical and water hookups.

From point A to point B I would stick with motels. If the destination is someplace outdoorsy and away from it all an RV makes perfect sense.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:56 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Ever live in a RV trailer; see what has to be done to that truck to tow one. Then towed one. Perhaps rent one first.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:02 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
I don't think you save much money, if you have an economy car to drive when you don't take the trailer. If you have an economy car and stay in the lower price motels, then the motels would be cheaper.

If you are driving the gas guzzler either way, then probably the trailer would be a bit cheaper. Overnight fees are lower and you can cook instead of eating out.

Here's the advantage of the travel trailer: it is home, just like the triplets' own bedroom. Your kids will be a lot more comfortable and sleep a lot better.

You can leave some of your vacation stuff stored in the trailer, so packing to go isn't as time consuming.

Maybe if you have the trailer, you might try some of the more wilderness sort of adventures and discover that your children like them.

Here's the real downside to a trailer: unless the family is very carefully trained to share the workload, mama doesn't get a vacation. She just has her regular workload moved out onto the road. You have to make sure that the family understands that everyone cleans so that everyone can have a good time.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:38 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
We haul a 5er simply because we want to stay where we want to stay and not rely on a motel or some other person offering accommodations.

If you want to just travel the main roads and bigger towns and prefer the prearranged (ain't nothing wrong with that) then I would leave the RV at the dealership and get a fuel efficient car and travel the coutry.

Old 12-01-2014, 01:03 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilykaye90 View Post
Buying an RV to save on travel costs..??
Nope. Not even renting it.
There ARE reasons to do these... but saving money is NOT one of them.
Quote:
Complete disclaimer my husband and I are completely new to the RVing...
Then especially NO.

Quote:
Or are we better off just staying in hotels??
Yes. Or cabins. Or having a basic 2man tent set up in the trunk of your high MPG car.

Old 12-01-2014, 01:48 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,373,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Nope. Not even renting it.
There ARE reasons to do these... but saving money is NOT one of them.
That's not necessarily true. It depends on how much you paid for your RV, what condition it is in, and your ability/inclination to work on it, among other factors. I paid well under $10k for mine, do minimal work on it each year and have gotten many, many weeks worth of fantastic family fun out of it, practically in my backyard, for a fraction of the cost of airfare, hotel, food and everything else (x4) that comes along with most other forms of vacation. However...

I agree that 'saving money' is NOT a good reason to buy an RV. Most people overbuy, don't want to do any repairs or maintenance themselves, and live very far from the places they wish to drive to, so it can get very expensive very quickly. Renting is even more expensive unless it's just a one time thing or otherwise very seldom. You should get an RV because you love driving, being in the outdoors and staying in campgrounds. You'll need to use it often in an enjoyable way to make it seem worth the cost. If you just want to save money, then you should buy a tent or perhaps a video game console for your living room and stay home.

Old 12-01-2014, 02:48 PM

6 posts, read 9,769 times
Thank you very much for your honesty all. I appreciate it!

Old 12-01-2014, 06:11 PM

1,477 posts, read 6,020,557 times
No people rv because they like the life style and not to save money......FYI...since you mentioned Disney....Fort Wilderness during peak season runs about 110-115 bucks a night for a campground lot....sure that's cheaper than a room but it's way more then these 10-20 bucks a night that people say they spend camping....yes you can find campgrounds that cheap. ...but most major campgrounds in a high tourist area is going to run you 75 to a hundred bucks a night....and often times you need to make reservations up to a year in advance during peak seasons

Old 12-01-2014, 06:43 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
I view a camper as something to use and enjoy that are off the beaten path. To go a tourist destination I prefer a motel room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing