Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2015, 10:12 AM

144 posts, read 140,078 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Will be going on a trip fromDenver to Yellowstone area for 2 weeks by myself. And don’t want to [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]stay at a hotel every night soI thought I could go camping, but I don’t really wanna sleep in a tent so[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]can I pay for a tent site andsleep in the parking lot in my car? There are RV sites too, but [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]this may be odd. Does someone know how much in advance I'll have to book it? Will be going in [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]September and August is already sold out[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 01:37 PM

19,769 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Campsites in Yellowstone are usually booked up 4-6 months in advance, at least for those sites that are reservable. Generally US Parks have a number of sites that are open on a 'first come, first serve' basis. My advice would be to call the Park and ask generally how quickly any given campsite get's 'full' then go from there.

We were up in Glacier NP last week. When you drive in the main gate at Apgar there is a sign posted with all the campsites with 'Open' or 'Full' signs next to each one. We went to the Kintla Lake ranger station and talked directly to the attendant and she told us generally there are 3-4 sites open before noon each day, then they are filled after that. We went the next day at around 8:30a.m. and there were 3 sites open.

You can sleep in your car if you wish. No problems there. You need to physically 'occupy' the site for the first 24 hours (some type of gear, preferably a tent set up) or they may consider it abandoned and let someone else occupy it.

Old 08-01-2015, 11:36 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
I have slept in my car in parking lot of a yellowstone / teton NP lodges many times (cuz everything is booked and I'm just passing through, never planned). You can grab a shower at a lodge for $4 (last I checked). Use the lobby, and when everyone goes to bed... head out to your car.

While traveling by motorcycle I have (stealth) slept in the meadows MANY times 30+ (non-camping) for same reason. I would not be happy 'camping' in a NP site anyway... I don't do crowds. Just wait till dusk, kill the lights and venture down a back road. Camo-netting is your friend (cover your car to avoid moonlit reflections). Don't use any lights or FIRES. LEAVE before dawn (best time to see the park anyway! Much more wildlife and much less traffic.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:47 PM

447 posts, read 496,030 times
You wrote a lot of intersting stories. I am going to visit UP of Michigan for spontaneous trip over Labor Day weekend. Did you have car camping over the place? Or you heard about before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I have slept in my car in parking lot of a yellowstone / teton NP lodges many times (cuz everything is booked and I'm just passing through, never planned). You can grab a shower at a lodge for $4 (last I checked). Use the lobby, and when everyone goes to bed... head out to your car.

While traveling by motorcycle I have (stealth) slept in the meadows MANY times 30+ (non-camping) for same reason. I would not be happy 'camping' in a NP site anyway... I don't do crowds. Just wait till dusk, kill the lights and venture down a back road. Camo-netting is your friend (cover your car to avoid moonlit reflections). Don't use any lights or FIRES. LEAVE before dawn (best time to see the park anyway! Much more wildlife and much less traffic.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:18 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,733 times
Default Not enough light

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

Before dawn means that it's too dark to really "see" the wildlife and forgot about trying to take pictures.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:02 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Before dawn means that it's too dark to really "see" the wildlife and forgot about trying to take pictures.
well... the objective is to get to a beautiful spot for sunrise and watch the animals come to life / hide with the coming of the sun!
(and to get OUT of the 'stealth' camping spot BEFORE the rangers / fire scouts find you!)

It is BEAUTIFUL to be taking your morning dip (bath) in the Yellowstone River at dawn
https://www.google.com/search?q=Yell...IVCp-ACh37JAav

I prefer being here for sunrise: as it starts VERY early on the high peaks,
https://www.google.com/search?q=teto...IVkYINCh0nSQBH

BTW: hitting the road BEFORE dawn is required to BE HERE by dawn.

I do the same in every National Park. Grand Canyon, Canyonlands, Arches, and Bryce are all spectacular at dawn.
https://www.google.com/search?q=gran...FcKygAodVuIGFA
https://www.google.com/search?q=Arch...FcmhgAod1qwFAQ
https://www.google.com/search?q=Cany...FUKUDQodkR0D_w

and of course my favorite sunrise and sunset park (Valley of Fire)
https://www.google.com/search?q=vall...IVxdOACh2OaAB6

I must admit...I am often 'time constrained' and I prefer to drive the National Park roadways from 5AM until 10AM and 5PM till 10 PM. I can see a LOT of 'park' while everyone else is sleeping / eating!

I will gladly let the 'families and RV's ply the 'scenic' roads during midday!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing