Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2015, 06:03 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times

Advertisements

Thought some posters here might have first hand experience with current CBs which seem used more by off readers and RV people

I know we can use a magnetic mount on the roof but I am concerned about scratches on paint finish...have heard a rubber boot can lower reception power...
This would be used only on Lon trips between TX and FL where our second home is...
Once there we would take it down

I saw there were mounts for doors and hoods that use bolts already in place but not sure which one works best on new Tahoe and would not cause wind noise when driving at freeway speeds

Know CBs aren't as popular as in past but some areas we go through don't have good cell service and thought my husband might enjoy a nostalgic present for Christmas...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2015, 07:33 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times
I've done hood mounts in the past. A rubber boot would totally kill the ground plane making your antenna useless. If you have a luggage rack, they make clamps to hold it down. Other options would be a mirror mount.

For a onetime trip, I'd look at magnetic. Have used them in the past before. On my pickup I have the antenna mounted to my toolbox and grounded to the frame. I have a meter to tune the antenna and everything. No matter what antenna you use, you want to make sure it is tuned to the radio you're using.

The nostalgia won't be there unless you enjoy trash talk, lewd conversations and cd preachers. Also, if there's no cell coverage, it is doubtful that there's a set of ears on the other end of the radio. If there is, are they going to be a set of benevolent ears?

Old 12-20-2015, 01:04 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
Not one time trip
We go back forth 4-6 times a year
Second home in FL

Old 12-20-2015, 02:38 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Thought some posters here might have first hand experience with current CBs ...
Sorry, but nope.

Back around 1975 I was on a cross country Greyhound trip (great fun btw).
On one leg we were behind schedule when another driver took over.

First thing he did was open the little side window and clamp an antenna to the mirror.
He had welded a plate to a set of a VICE-GRIP pliers and the antenna mounted to the plate.
It worked great.

Old 12-20-2015, 04:09 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Sorry, but nope.

I have one in my pickup.

If this is going to be a regular trip, and still insistent on having a CB, I'd go with a permanent mount.

Old 12-20-2015, 04:15 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,281,907 times
I've used magnetic mounts and never had scratching issues. How about a mirror mount. Does the Tahoe have a decent mount for the side mirrors?

Old 12-27-2015, 07:35 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,874,311 times
Do a google search for "gutter mount antenna" and you'll see many types of brackets that should work if there is a gutter around the top of the driver side door. Or look for a bumper mount if there's no gutter. You should be able to find something that will work out at one of the local truck-stops in your area, they normally have CB things for truckers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing