Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 09:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,208 times

Advertisements

Go to rummage sales and you'll likely find all the pans you will need. I always pick up any cast iron that is in good shape and other pans can be gotten so cheaply that if they get trashed it's not a big deal. But my go to is always heavy duty foil. I get the food service size from Sam's Club for about $20.00 and it lasts a long time and I use quite alot of it. A plus for foil is that you can cook most anything in it and no nasty pans to wash up when you should be enjoying yourself. Have fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 11:36 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,995,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Edward View Post
Hey, so I'm going camping for a week, and usually in the past we just did hot dogs & whatnot (since it used to be a weekend affair, not a 7 day ordeal). What type of cookware should i look into for the trip? I'm going to be strictly cooking over a fire, not a camp stove....
Due to easy chipping I wouldn't buy enamel as attractive as it is. For over the campfire an iron skillet and a SS pot for veggies. Spuds go in aluminum foil. Most meat is cooked on the BBQ grill over coals.

Old 04-27-2016, 11:38 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,995,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcat17 View Post
Go to rummage sales and you'll likely find all the pans you will need. I always pick up any cast iron that is in good shape and other pans can be gotten so cheaply that if they get trashed it's not a big deal. But my go to is always heavy duty foil. I get the food service size from Sam's Club for about $20.00 and it lasts a long time and I use quite alot of it. A plus for foil is that you can cook most anything in it and no nasty pans to wash up when you should be enjoying yourself. Have fun!
I find we're using more foil also, especially for cooking the veggies over the fire or on the grill over coals.

Goodwill and other such stores have good CHEAP pots and pans for campers. I even bought some of our camping bedding there.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,075 times
Stainless steel :
Stainless Steel is excellent for sautéing, braising and sauce making. It is a healthy choice of cookware because of its non-reactive material. Let us look into its pros and cons –
Pros:
 Extremely durable
 Resistant to corrosion and scratching
 Cheaper than copper
 Oven and boiler safe
 Dishwasher safe
 Great choice for searing, sautéing dishes and making sauces
Cons:
 Poor conductivity of heat
 Can be costlier when reinforced with copper core
 Expensive as compared to Aluminum pots and pans

MOD CUT LINK

Old 07-24-2016, 07:58 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times
Default Camping cookware question

I would just use whatever you use at home, I take 2 non stick frying pans and 1 pot, plus my coffee pot but I cook on a Coleman stove so I can control the heat.

Old 08-28-2019, 01:02 AM

13 posts, read 8,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
While I have a lot of high quality cast iron cookware pots/pans/dutch ovens/scotch bowls/griddles ... ranging in size from cooking for one person to feeding several dozen ...

what I've found works really well for car camping is to use a reasonable size cast iron griddle (or two) over a campfire.

You get the benefits of the even heat control of a "plancha grill" for those food items that a griddle cooks well ... be it breakfast items, or heating up sandwiches on the grill, etc.

But it's real benefit is that you can use regular cookware on it without having that cookware directly over the fire getting local hot spots or all sooted up. With this set-up, I use stainless steel pots and pans. Easy to clean up and a pleasure to cook in even in thin bottom cheap cookware. Personally, I avoid aluminum cookware even at home ... and have discarded all of my older "camping" aluminum sets years ago in favor of the lightweight stainless cookware.
Anyone who's gonna read this in 2019 do as this guy says. Sorry, I couldn't resist answering this topic. The thing is that I'm going camping soon too, that's gonna be my second time ever. I was reading this review and now I'm thinking about getting a few cookware sets from Amazon, but I'm gonna get pan, bowl and kettle from each set with me just because who would ever need all the pieces? Also it's just cheaper to buy a set instead of buying stuff separately, especially if you need both plastic and iron parts. But that's just my opinion.

Old 08-30-2019, 12:54 PM

110 posts, read 77,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Cast iron pots and skillets. I use to make breakfast on the grill outside here with them. You can still find them relatively inexpensively in the regular cookware at Walmart.

And your local Arc and/or Goodwill will also have a good selection of cast iron cookware. Just have to retemper them sometimes.

Old 08-31-2019, 08:52 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
I know this is an old post, but: in my area, the fire danger levels have been so high for the past decade or so that campfires are not allowed in many places in July, August and September. Sometimes fires will be allowed in campground fire pits, even when the burning restrictions are high, but sometimes even that is not allowed.

Best to have a small camp stove or you might be eating a lot of cold foods.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 09-15-2019, 08:05 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
When I was at the rubber tramp rendezvous in January there was a woman who was singing high praises for this item: https://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Brand...8598491&sr=8-4

It’s now on my Christmas list. When I started out in van life I imagined that I’d be a campfire gourmet chef but in fact most of my meals are cooked on a camp stove. It’s so much easier to clean up because while I adore my cast iron pans, they are a mess after coming off the fire. Also, as PNW gal pointed out, you may not even be able to have a fire in many places. I’d get a stove. And cast iron. Lol.

Old 09-15-2019, 11:08 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
When I was at the rubber tramp rendezvous in January there was a woman who was singing high praises for this item: https://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Brand...8598491&sr=8-4

It’s now on my Christmas list. When I started out in van life I imagined that I’d be a campfire gourmet chef but in fact most of my meals are cooked on a camp stove. It’s so much easier to clean up because while I adore my cast iron pans, they are a mess after coming off the fire. Also, as PNW gal pointed out, you may not even be able to have a fire in many places. I’d get a stove. And cast iron. Lol.
Thermos cooking is a variant of hay-box cooking. Maybe the shuttle chef is a good idea for you, or maybe something else would serve your purposes better, not to mention more cheaply.

Anyway, it's an old idea, and if you google around a bit, you'll find lots of creative ways to implement it.

I never plan to cook over a campfire. They're wonderful, but you can't always count on being able to build or use one. Plus, it forces you to breathe smoke, not a great idea.

If you're car camping, dutch oven cooking with charcoal briquets is much cleaner and less erratic. Lots of internet info on that too.

I think I'd commit suicide if I built a campfire and it turned into a wildfire. So for me, a campfire is for hanging out beside if/when conditions allow, but not for cooking.

Cast iron is great, and I'd never be without my mother's cast iron skillet, but stainless steel is also a cooking necessity. I understand why backpackers use aluminum, but I consider it inferior cookware, it gets too hot too fast. Great for rehydrating freeze-dried food packets, but that's not really cooking.

Last edited by jacqueg; 09-15-2019 at 11:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing