Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 08:37 AM

885 posts, read 1,167,923 times

Advertisements

We'd like to RV F/T, but I see conflicting info that it's expensive, then something saying it's cheap. Hubbie and I will have pensions and SS. It will equal about $85K, maybe a little more.

We would buy a used RV (I'm thinking a 5th wheel) and a new or newer truck, and that $$ would come from the sale of our farm/ house.

We'd have health ins from Hubbie's employment after retirement.

We are in our early 60's and can't run out. I'm frugal now, but since we would be paying rent in campgrounds, using diesel when traveling, buying propane, etc. I'm having trouble figuring out what our expenses would be, since all this is new to us.

I know we will learn as we go, where to stay cheaper, what we can and can't do, etc. But I'd like to get some insight now. I like to plan ahead.

Thanks.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:46 AM

956 posts, read 745,751 times
Look for positions as campground hosts. Most pay a wage and free campsite, water, gas.....

Old 07-21-2016, 09:22 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,765,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
We'd like to RV F/T, but I see conflicting info that it's expensive, then something saying it's cheap.
All depends on how you do it.

Buy a $200K RV, fill up every day, and stay in parks with swimming pools, marinas, and airstrips? It's expensive.

Buy a $5000 used cargo van, fix it up for camping, stay in the many free or cheap places or stealth camp, move once every two weeks? It's very cheap.

Quote:
Hubbie and I will have pensions and SS. It will equal about $85K, maybe a little more.

We would buy a used RV (I'm thinking a 5th wheel) and a new or newer truck, and that $$ would come from the sale of our farm/ house.

We are in our early 60's and can't run out. I'm frugal now, but since we would be paying rent in campgrounds, using diesel when traveling, buying propane, etc. I'm having trouble figuring out what our expenses would be, since all this is new to us.

I know we will learn as we go, where to stay cheaper, what we can and can't do, etc. But I'd like to get some insight now. I like to plan ahead.

Thanks.
People do it on a lot less than $85K/year. I could do just fine on that, but I'm not you. Again, it all depends on how you want to do it.

Vanabode travel forever on $20 a day
https://escapees.com
https://www.workamper.com
http://www.cheaprvliving.com/boondoc...-stealth-park/

Old 07-21-2016, 09:41 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,117,141 times
I only get $1086 / month after deductions SSDI and I have been "stealth RV" living in my minivan since Oct 2015. When I look at a comparable RV and doing campsites, RVing looks unbearably expensive. And I think it's stupid to pay $35 to hike up a TENT at a KOA.

It's best to stealth camp everywhere using a used Cargo Van, and maybe towing a trailer to haul possessions, than to RV FT.

Old 07-21-2016, 09:54 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times
Quote:
We'd like to RV F/T, but I see conflicting info that it's expensive, then something saying it's cheap. Hubbie and I will have pensions and SS. It will equal about $85K, maybe a little more.

Thanks.
Interesting dream. if i were you i'd rent an Rv for a few weeks or a month to see if you actually enjoy the fulltime Rv lifestyle before making a total commitment.

Old 07-21-2016, 09:58 AM

956 posts, read 745,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE1969 View Post
I only get $1086 / month after deductions SSDI and I have been "stealth RV" living in my minivan since Oct 2015. When I look at a comparable RV and doing campsites, RVing looks unbearably expensive. And I think it's stupid to pay $35 to hike up a TENT at a KOA.

It's best to stealth camp everywhere using a used Cargo Van, and maybe towing a trailer to haul possessions, than to RV FT.
Most people enjoy the services that campgrounds have to offer plus hanging out with other people with same interests. It's a lifestyle, yours is not

Old 07-21-2016, 10:32 AM

885 posts, read 1,167,923 times
What we want to do mostly is seeing the nat'l parks, etc and help us decide where we want to settle down for the big downward slid. I thought we could do guerrilla RV'ing for a year or 2.

A van would be too small, but maybe a small fiver, or small motorhome- class a or class c, I think they are, with a toad. Nothing big and fancy. (if we were younger than I'd go bigger and fancier)

Then what we have left from the house sale- invest- and just live on our pensions and SS.

We would stay in parks here and there for showers, etc and just for a treat once in a while (even now if I use motels I want the place clean (obviously) but I always say all I need is a bed and bowl).

Would anyone recommend a vehicle and travel trailer? I know fivers are suppose to be easier to drive and maneuver. What would be better in gas/ diesel mileage? Cheaper to buy? Best resale value (if we wanted)?

Anything we bought would be new to us. Our car and truck now are 10 and 15 yrs old.

Thanks.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:46 AM

768 posts, read 860,609 times
Selling an appreciating asset to purchase two depreciating assets? Hmmm......

Old 07-21-2016, 11:10 AM

7,782 posts, read 6,396,341 times
Go to the Escapees site, their focus is on full timing.

If one of you is 62 get a geezer card for $10 that gets you into NPs, NFs and Bureau of Land Management locations. One card is enough for both of you. Camping is half price unless the campground is operated by a concessionaire.

"Big enough" is in the eyes of the beholder, how frequently you move will affect things like fuel cost and campground costs. Smaller is more maneuverable and less thirsty.
Super markets tend to be similar across the country.

We never full timed, but we did have 5 travel trailers over the years. We have gone coast to coast several times and border to border. We took 2 trips 1000 miles down into Mexico. Travel is fun.

Old 07-21-2016, 12:44 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,747 posts, read 58,102,528 times
I would recommend:
1) Escapees boot camp
2) class A or C with a toad for economical exploring near destinations. (Diesel with slides). You can find them USED cheap. (<$80k) I use a 50 mpg diesel toad. $35 car. Resale is better with a slide. Cummins diesel and allison automatic is good combo for service and resale.
3) harvest hosts / hospitality guest homes and rv sites $free to $20 / night
4) passport America
5) good sam membership
6) flexible route and schedule.

Do you know where you will eventually nest? You might want to build a shop with apt, laundry, shower, & rv hook- ups as a home base / storage unit. You can do this for $20k and a 1 month time investment. (If you own the property)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing