Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 05:40 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times

Advertisements

While it would be fun. I am of the thinking this wouldn't be the best idea. Sure, people blog about and have moderate success for a while.

Site fees and operations make up a huge part of the budget. I read "putting career aside" as not having any income. With no sustainable income and costs being understated a perfect storm.

I have an older 5th wheel. Every time it goes out on a trip I am always fixing something. I am waiting on parts from Amazon to arrive and need to replace a window too.

My diesel pickup, which my pride and joy, isn't cheap to run either. $85 for my last oil change, which I did myself using OEM filters and Rotella oil. The first trip out the gate this summer resulted is a breakdown of my pickup that was $2,500. I'd keep the house and the career and take the rig out on the weekends and vacations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 02:44 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
never skimp on the tow rig. get one with plenty of room, brakes and power (in that order). Don't even consider a Jeep / similar. You need BEEF, BRAKES, and LONG wheelbase.

Sounds like you should do a 'skoolie' and run it on free cooking oil, tow a small economical SUV toad (Suzuki with an evil VW diesel transplant). This would be affordable and doable, but a bit of a hassle / maint concern. The Skoolie would give you S-P-A-C-E and a ratty interior for the dog/kids to roust around in. It is robust and will safely tow your toad and there are some delightful conversions VERY cheap (usually unfinished). I saw so many excellent commercial bus / truck / skoolie conversions in NZ that had been used for several decades. Look at pics and blogs. Consider something with a DT466 engine, they are good service, tough, economical, and LOTS of parts / repair / service. Hopefully.... it will never break down! I much prefer Air Brakes, but you will want to add an endorsement to your Driver's license, and get a tutorial.

Add extra door / exits especially for DH and dog/kids. One is TOO FEW exits. Add an awning / attachable dining area / pet/kids playground.

Wood stove with cooking / baking will keep you toasty and well fed. (cheap)

A traditional RV would get pretty hammered doing a long trip 'living' with pets. Not worth the wasted $$ to trash and maintain a traditional RV.

Your DH will THANK YOU for preserving his 86 GMC so he can use it the rest of his life.

Old 08-24-2016, 02:04 PM

32,655 posts, read 48,053,996 times
With dogs, I recommend a bumper pull towing with something that has easy access cargo space, preferably a pickup. The reason being that you can carry X-pens for the dogs so that they have a safe place outside the trailer while you are outdoors with them, like maybe sitting around the campfire. You will need a place to carry doggy equipment.

I have 2 little dogs and I have small wire dog kennels built into my trailer above the dinette. Nice little soft beds in there and they can see everything while staying out of the way. Then they have a double size X pen outside for when we are all outdoors.

The big dog just gets stepped over, but he is allowed on one bench of the dinette. He isn't allowed on furniture, but this vacation exception makes it a lot easier to camp with him. He sleeps on a dog blanket on the floor and has an overhead trolley for when we are all outdoors.

The pickup bed is also useful for hauling firewood for our campfire.

If you intend to travel with dogs, make the effort to teach them some extensive obedience. It could easily save their lives if they will mind you instantly. Keep rabies vaccinations up to date and carry the rabies certificates with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing