Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 03:38 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,490,348 times

Advertisements

Trying to get an idea of what we should be looking at/in to so we avoid pitfalls.

Dont want to buy a teardrop when we really beed a rolling mansion, for instance.

Budget will be around $15-20k, new or excellent used doesnt matter.

If we need a truck to tow, well, we will need a newer vehicle soon anyway. That is a separate issue.

Thanks for those who are constructive in their replies.

Other than turning our dodge maxivan in the 70s into a family "camper", or tent camping when young, we dont have much experience.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 09:01 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,186,985 times
We have a Jayco Jayflight 174 bh. It has a queen bed for me and my hubby, and bunk beds for our two girls. It is one axle, and only 17ft long. We tow it with a Honda Ridgeline. It has zero slides.

I wanted a trailer that had beds that were always out and ready to sleep on. I did not want to have to pull apart the dining area every day, or pull out a slide to get into bed. I also wanted a regular toilet and not a dry bath situation, where the toilet is in the shower. Those were the main things I wanted and it had to be small enough that our Honda Ridgeline could pull it easily and safely.

We are happy with it. It's a tad tight with two teenagers using it, but once they move away and it's just my hubby and me it'll be perfect, plus we have room for future grandkids down the line. It's not too huge to park, can fit in two front to back parking lot stalls perfectly. We also find camping spots easily because of its small size. It may not be right for you, but it's right for us.

Old 01-16-2019, 04:56 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
We are looking for something to travel in as we check out southern locales for retirement.
Live in it 3 or 4 months (at a time)...
Needs to sleep at least 4, possibly 7...

Budget will be around $15-20k, new or excellent used...
If we need a truck to tow, well, we will need a newer vehicle soon anyway.
That is a separate issue.
Is anyone aware of any new or almost new anything that meets that spec for under $20K?

If you could swing a $125,000 purchase this used one might do:
https://tinyurl.com/yarwoz4e

Good luck with making your dream a reality.

Old 01-16-2019, 05:33 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Is anyone aware of any new or almost new anything that meets that spec for under $20K?

If you could swing a $125,000 purchase this used one might do:
https://tinyurl.com/yarwoz4e

Good luck with making your dream a reality.
"new was for a tow vehicle...NOT the MH

Find them all the time! (for under $50k (Used Diesel Pushers) < 100k miles)

from your same page...

2001 FLEETWOOD BOUNDER DIESEL LOW MILES

2010 Damon Motor Coach Tuscany 42RQ Class A Diesel Motorhome Fireplace King Bed

New can be 'relative', My daily driver is still delivering 50 mpg and is only 43 yrs old. I have some MUCH older stuff too (works fine... NEVER been to the fixit shop (yet...)

Old 01-16-2019, 06:10 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
"new was for a tow vehicle...NOT the MH
That's not what I read. Maybe he'll clarify that for you.

Old 01-16-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
That's not what I read. Maybe he'll clarify that for you.
If we need a truck to tow, well, we will need a newer vehicle soon anyway. That is a separate issue.

No clarification needed from my perspective.

I suggest they refurb the 70's camper van! (probably long gone, but there are plenty of those still around ~$3500) for a great 70's camper van or Class C (Except VW westy... they WERE $2000, now $20,000 for the last few years)

Old 01-17-2019, 02:30 PM

1,831 posts, read 1,432,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Thank you.

I was thinking a queen in the one side, a dinette for the parent's amd a double bunk set up in back for the kids.
Unless the parents are under 5' tall, they won't be sleeping in a dinette. I've never seen a single RV dinette that could fit anything but one teeny tiny adult or two kids.

Sounds like you'll need a toy hauler set up to sleep 6 or more. Lots of them out there at reasonable prices, but then you'd need a tow vehicle sturdy enough to pull it, so figure on a diesel F-350 or other brand equivalent as your new vehicle.

When it's just the two of you, you'd have more space than a two-bedroom apartment. When company comes, the best ones have a loft bed that will hold 3-5 kids, a dinette for a couple kids, owners' queen bedroom, and a dropdown queen in the garage for the kids' parents.

When no one's visiting, you can use the loft for storage (or not) and the garage for its intended purpose.

Good hunting.

Old 01-18-2019, 09:38 PM

Our Rialta (mini MH) sleeps (4)
The Dinette is Queen size ... over 6'-6" long (5 ft wide)

Old 01-29-2019, 05:46 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,629,144 times
Sleeping 7 requires additional tents. I couldn’t put 7 guests up for the night in my house. They could also get a hotel room if they don’t like the tent.

Old 01-29-2019, 07:54 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Where are all the Prevost owners answering: "I drive a Prevost. It is the best because it is a Prevost. "

If you can spend two million on an RV, they are awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing