Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 11:42 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,965,446 times

Advertisements

Jeeps are surprisingly heavy. With large tires, mine are 35", there will also be more friction. It may be best to re-install smaller tires unless anticipated terrain is very difficult. The big tires are also pricey. EDIT - I expect to put the front tires on a car dolly.

I'm set on a smaller motorhome - say 28'-30'. That may help some unless the engine is also weaker.

A lot of affordable motorhomes have Chevy's 454 or Ford's V10 - which is about a 390. Those would be on the small side for a motorhome pulling a Jeep.

Keep thinking a diesel engine is worth getting. Costs a lot more but the resale value is also much stronger. Better fuel mileage and usually lasts longer. Plus towing is always best with a diesel. Diesels weren't so bad prior to 2007 when technology went "nuts."

New to this but finding that diesel motorhomes tend to have significantly more miles on them. That is interesting though not surprising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2019, 02:12 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Jeeps are surprisingly heavy. With large tires, mine are 35", there will also be more friction. It may be best to re-install smaller tires unless anticipated terrain is very difficult. The big tires are also pricey. EDIT - I expect to put the front tires on a car dolly.

I'm set on a smaller motorhome - say 28'-30'. That may help some unless the engine is also weaker.

A lot of affordable motorhomes have Chevy's 454 or Ford's V10 - which is about a 390. Those would be on the small side for a motorhome pulling a Jeep.

Keep thinking a diesel engine is worth getting. Costs a lot more but the resale value is also much stronger. Better fuel mileage and usually lasts longer. Plus towing is always best with a diesel. Diesels weren't so bad prior to 2007 when technology went "nuts."

New to this but finding that diesel motorhomes tend to have significantly more miles on them. That is interesting though not surprising.
You might want to read the owner's manual about towing your Jeep. I know mine can be either trailer towed or flat towed, but the owner's manual specifically warns against dolly towing. I have a Wrangler, but you didn't mention what type of Jeep you have.

You also didn't mention what type of motorhome you're considering. Class A or class C?

Old 05-16-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
You might want to read the owner's manual about towing your Jeep. I know mine can be either trailer towed or flat towed, but the owner's manual specifically warns against dolly towing. I have a Wrangler, but you didn't mention what type of Jeep you have.

You also didn't mention what type of motorhome you're considering. Class A or class C?
I'm so new that I'm still shifting gears like a LeMans racer. Went from diesel Class A pulling Jeep to gas Class C maybe pulling ATV - TODAY! Many reasons for that. Safety and practicality and economy mostly.

Old 05-16-2019, 06:24 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Consider a diesel pusher Class A for what you are doing...

You can find them as bargains (<$100k) in retirement communities where RV'rs settle down.

I prefer a Cummins for economy, availability, and maint costs.

I would ask on Escapees or similar for best seasoned advice on rigs and engines.

I would stick with the Jeep and consider a set of 'road-tires' for the long commutes. (or tandem trailer if you have the Space in campgrounds)

I am designing a lifting ramp (also has a trailing wheel so little tongue weight) for my vintage 'light' big bore motorcycles that fit behind my 20mpg Class C. When I tow a car... it is my 1900# StealthRabbit I like 50 mpg on free fuel.

https://www.quadratec.com/c/referenc...-jeep-wrangler
https://community.fmca.com/topic/107...sus-trailered/
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...gQQsAR6BAgIEAE

Old 05-16-2019, 08:16 PM

1,831 posts, read 1,431,142 times
We had a 32' 2004 Itasca Sunrise (gasser), behind which we flat towed a 2005 Jeep Liberty. Worked great. Now we have a 36' 2018 Winnebago Forza (diesel), and are looking at a Jeep Cherokee to flat tow, which will be great behind this RV.

The key is to know whether or not your particular Jeep is towable and via which means. Then look at its weight and what your potential RV (gas or diesel) can tow. Then decide what's most efficient.

Old 05-17-2019, 08:08 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,744,831 times
We had a gas powered 32 foot Fleetwood Storm that we pulled my Wrangler behind. Then we got a 40 foot diesel pusher coach and towed the Wrangler and then our Grand Cherokee behind. Much, much nicer with the diesel. Of course.

Old 05-18-2019, 07:13 AM

Towing is better with a diesel. For awhile I was convinced that going diesel was essentially a no brainer. While the towing is better, there are other factors to consider:
1) Diesel costs more so the enhanced mpg is about canceled out.
2) Diesel is harder to get. On the interstate that wouldn't typically be a problem. How about off the interstate?
3) It is much harder and much more expensive to find diesel service. Especially rear engine diesel service. That may be about canceled out by the increased longevity of diesel motors? Not sure about that.
4) Pushing with a diesel is a lot quieter than pulling with gas.
5) An engine up front provides a safety margin due to the inherent crumple zone. This is typically more of a Class C vs. Class A advantage.

As of now I am concluding that full timers should go with diesel. For the first time buyer who doesn't know what the usage will be? Good arguments for a more economical approach.

Old 05-18-2019, 07:30 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,639,050 times
Quote:

I’m on another automotive forum and I’ve been hearing a LOT of complaints about new diesels, across the board. It seems to be related to fixes and design changes as diesel engine manufacturers are trying to come into compliance with new regulations.

Old 05-18-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
I’m on another automotive forum and I’ve been hearing a LOT of complaints about new diesels, across the board. It seems to be related to fixes and design changes as diesel engine manufacturers are trying to come into compliance with new regulations.
True - the diesel engines became a lot more problematic after 2007 due to DEF and regulations - I am told. One thing I don't need is problems with a diesel engine.

Old 05-18-2019, 09:52 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,639,050 times
Quote:
True - the diesel engines became a lot more problematic after 2007 due to DEF and regulations - I am told. One thing I don't need is problems with a diesel engine.
If you’re interested, this site (below) is hard core, even a number of world famous, drag racers. Many of them have tow rigs, motor coaches, etc. There are many threads about diesel vs. gas. Be forewarned, the site is not work safe, almost anything goes there. Once you post something, it never gets deleted and, short of threats on people, you’re going to see and hear almost everything there. Having said that, despite appearances, there are some absolutely amazing people there when it comes to engines. This is a discussion on trucks for towing for example.

https://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/s...ghlight=Diesel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing