Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2021, 10:39 PM

4,609 posts, read 3,003,049 times

Advertisements

I'm entertaining the idea of traveling in a van or camper... certainly there'd be sufficient space,
the budget would be the issue. But I really can't imagine living in a Cube, and with a pet.
Meo, it would be fascinating to learn how you managed to live out of a small car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2021, 09:09 AM

7,045 posts, read 6,298,150 times
I watched a ton of utube videos on car living. I didn't always get it right and will be making adjustments. Traveling was the tough part. When I was stationary for any length of time, I put a lot of the bulky items in a small two person tent. I set up my folding table outside and my camp chair.

Between Walmart and Dollar Stores, I bought containers to hold specific items and kept them separate and easy to slide out from the platform. This didn't always work as I had given up a lot of space for Marigolds needs and as I'm cleaning out the car now I find myself saying, Oh, that's where that went.

Basically, it's like everyone says, you don't live in your vehicle, you live outside of it.

There are things I have to tweak, but living with less 'stuff' is essential. My sister was surprised that I only have one plate. Well,I only have one mouth so I don't need more than one plate. It also means I wash it right away.

It wasn't always easy, but it was so worth it. There is nothing compared to viewing the stars while laying in your bed, or seeing the beautiful sunsets and sunrises through the window of your vehicle.

I also chose to stay in a LTVA this time so had a toilet, water and trash containers available. I'm not sure what I'll do next season. I'll always come home summers, so that's taken care of.

You also have to realize, Arizona and Quartzsite in particular, are set up to cater to snow birds and there are conveniences that may not be in other places. Also the Loves Truck Stops, catering to truckers needs, made life a lot easier.

Old 05-11-2021, 12:20 PM

Another plus I forgot to mention is that the Cubes seat (I had the others taken out) is very comfortable so even when I had to stay inside because of the wind or rain, I was still comfortable.

I bought the car because of its many windows and comfort in driving?. At night I felt surrounded by stars. It was awesome. I'm thinking of living in her for at least one more year because of gas mileage, the comfortable driving, the money I saved and because I love the car. If I can figure out how to get just a little more space, that's probably what I'm going to do. You'd be amazed at what you can do without.

Another thing, before I even started out I bought Bob Wells book, How to Live In a Car, Van or RV. It really helped me understand what I needed and how to survive. I read it periodically and also watch his, and others, videos.

Last edited by meo92953; 05-11-2021 at 12:40 PM..

Old 05-11-2021, 02:54 PM

602 posts, read 313,889 times
I came across this if you haven't already seen it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KK1PyGQ-6w

Old 05-11-2021, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B Kind View Post
I came across this if you haven't already seen it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KK1PyGQ-6w
I hadn't seen it. Thank you.

The difference with my build is the area by her side door is where I have Marigolds cat tree with her litter box next to it. That takes up a lot of room, but it's necessary. I liked the little shelf unit she built, that was a good idea. The bike rack idea was interesting. I think, rather than that, I wa something else for my spare tire. That is taking up a lot of room which could be used for storage.

Lots to think about. Again, thank you.

Old 05-12-2021, 10:38 AM

I am taking my own advice and re-reading Bob Wells book again. One of the things he brings up is how tied we are to our 'things '. It is so true. When I decided to do this I had no qualms about giving away my furniture, but I had a very difficult time giving away an oval cast iron casserole pan.

It was heavy and pretty, red with an enamel coating, it cost a lot, and I loved it. But in all the years I owned it, I used it twice, both times for pot luck dinners. I finally had to envision a family who'd lost everything using it before I let it go.

This is how powerful our things can control us.

I still have a small storage unit that I pay for. The next time I am in Sierra Vista I plan on going through it to see if anything is there worth paying a monthly fee for. I can't even remember what is in there. This time though, I plan to get rid of anything I don't really need and ship the little that will be left home. There's a two plus garage and a huge pole barn here and I can quit paying for something I didn't even check on for a year.

Yes, there are things I will ship home but I think I will be able to let a lot go. I should have made the trip there after leaving Quartzsite but it's only now that I have come to the conclusion that it's time.

I also realize that there are things I can use in this trailer that would come in handy.

It has taken me this time to be willing to do that though. I think that's part of the process a lot of people go through. After all, what's $54 a month after paying hundreds for rent each month? That was my rationale anyway.

It does make a difference that the trailer is here and there will be a place to put things. It will feel good to know I'm letting go of another piece of my old life.

Old 05-12-2021, 11:46 AM

4,609 posts, read 3,003,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I am taking my own advice and re-reading Bob Wells book again. One of the things he brings up is how tied we are to our 'things '. It is so true. When I decided to do this I had no qualms about giving away my furniture, but I had a very difficult time giving away an oval cast iron casserole pan.

It was heavy and pretty, red with an enamel coating, it cost a lot, and I loved it. But in all the years I owned it, I used it twice, both times for pot luck dinners. I finally had to envision a family who'd lost everything using it before I let it go.

This is how powerful our things can control us.

I live in a studio apartment, but I still have clutter to clear.

At times when I think, "I should hold on to that thing... I might use it someday,"
I answer myself with, "someone else could use it right now, but can't afford to buy one new,
so give it to the thrift store so that person can use it."

Old 05-12-2021, 07:16 PM

Exactly. You've got the right idea. One of the things I realized was that if I really needed to buy something, a dollar store or Walmart had it but I really had to think about whether I needed the item or not.

I didn't know of an organization like the one in Sierra Vista, although I should have with my nonprofit background, but everyone's life has been turned around since covid. It just felt so good to me that I would be helping a family in trouble.

Any nonprofit organization you can donate to is going to make your heart feel good.

Old 05-13-2021, 08:05 PM

I am so happy today. No real reason. Maybe because it's finally warm and the sun was out - that always makes me happy. Maybe because my sister and I had some real sister time together today. Maybe because Marigold finally interacted with Taz, not much, mind you, but she did let her sniff her a little today. Maybe because just looking at the lake gave me so much joy.

Maybe it was all of the above.

Whatever the reason was, I feel contentment and joy. Life is good.

Old 05-14-2021, 04:19 PM

Wow, a real downpour today. So seldom see that here. Cars pulled off the road and an accident. I expect to hear about many more on the news. My sister, brother and I went to Fargo and it started on the way back, thankfully right before our turn off the freeway. Scary, but almost home and we made it back.

BUT... I just looked outside and there is a beautiful rainbow

Last edited by meo92953; 05-14-2021 at 04:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing