Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2021, 05:36 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Well, what if that man in a van is a trust fund baby or some thirty-something, Silicon Valley wiz who cashed out his stock options for $5-10 million and just wanted to live the "simple life" in a van and be a nomad.

I'm sure quite a few ladies would have no problem ditching their apartment for that guy, just sayin'!
I wouldn't ditch my apartment for a man, period.

I ditched it because I thought life would be more fun if I was traveling in my van.

So far, I've been correct - it IS more fun.

If a man thinks that he can add to that fun, he's free to make that case. I'm open to listening. Pro tip - spoiled overgrown babies need not apply, I want a grown-up. I'm sure there are trustafarians who are grown-ups - but none have ever come my way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2021, 09:45 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I wouldn't ditch my apartment for a man, period.

... I want a grown-up. I'm sure there are trustafarians who are grown-ups - but none have ever come my way.
Interesting concept... I have met a lot of trust fund babies since I have homes in retreat areas, BUT... I have never met a 'grown-up' trustafarian
Not sure they exist The younger ones I meet and advise definitely don't hold the promise of surviving to old age and still have any trust funds remaining.

to OP's point...
Why do solo female Nomads have an easier time attracting non-nomads than their male counterpart's Do?
This is a pretty time honored fact... Capable gals are.... capable
There are a LOT of them
Loser guys are... losers. There are a LOT of them

Nomad guys think they are actually accomplishing something, as hard as they must try.

Nomad gals?... no big deal, just doing it. No "Super Feat", just another day, another adventure. Seeking no trophies. (it's the experience, not the conquest). smell the roses type of thing.

Everyone is different, enjoy that difference (tough for most guys to do... and they are not SO different )

Old 03-20-2021, 07:29 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Quote:
Well, what if that man in a van is a trust fund baby or some thirty-something, Silicon Valley wiz who cashed out his stock options for $5-10 million and just wanted to live the "simple life" in a van and be a nomad.

I'm sure quite a few ladies would have no problem ditching their apartment for that guy, just sayin'!
The question from the OP was why do solo female nomads have an easier time attracting non-nomads than their male counterparts. I believe my answer does answer that question.

The posts arguing with my logic just don't like the answer.

If it was me, I wouldn't care how much money he had, if he wanted me to live in a van. Even some filthy rich guy - I'd question what kind of weird notion was next. And most women would.

It's kind of like asking a man why the way a woman looks matters. Why does he care?

Old 03-21-2021, 10:09 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
Quote:

Not after they got to know "that guy". Trust me on this. Many, if not most, of the men in Silicon Valley are on the spectrum. A girl starts to notice after a while. This girl did.

P.S. Stock options aren't a thing any more. These days techies get stock grants, aka RSUs.

Old 07-13-2022, 04:36 PM

11,026 posts, read 6,870,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
A man in a van isn't a good "catch." Traditionally, women look for men who are good providers.

Now, if you'd told me that a man who did not want to move into the van with her, but got involved with her even though she lived in a van, I'd say that one reason there is that men like to rescue women. He'd see her as a damsel in distress. With benefits, of course.

But men who are happy to move into a woman's van who is providing his housing and probably benefits, and doing the cooking, cleaning, paying the insurance and van payment......isn't a good catch, either, for the same reason. In my opinion, a woman who lets a man live off of her in her van isn't making a good choice. She needs a guy with his own place, so she can use his shower and his washer and dryer.

Obviously, I'm looking at this from a woman's point of view.
I can think of several men in vans who are a good catch. Bob Wells, Bob's new assistant (sorry can't remember his name), Robert Witham, Jim in Denver (he is gay), CamperVanKevin (CVK), and several others I can't think of their names right now. Sure there are guys who are really roughing it with baggage, but they're not looking anyway. And yes, there are some vandwellers who travel together in a caravan of 2 (separate vehicles). Some guys are out there, while their girlfriend works fulltime and joins on weekends or holidays (his name I forget, he stays mostly between Payson and Show Low not far from where his girlfriend works. She has her own rig, I think.

When I was out there trying nomad life briefly, I met several men who were not catches. They were not looking to be a catch, and that is their prerogative. They were living their lives as they wanted to. Some did seem like they had baggage. Well, maybe being a solo nomad is exactly what they need. They might have PTSD from whatever experience including war or the military. They might have lost everything in a divorce and that's their only option.

I didn't meet any man who was looking to move into any woman's van. People out there mostly want to do their own thing.

One thing Jim in Denver said at the 2018 RTR was: "Guys, don't EVER give up your rig." He was referring to giving up their rig for a nomadic relationship with a woman in one vehicle. There was a loud cheer at that comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing