Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: when did you go full time in your van, camper or RV?
Before Retirment (18-50ish) 3 37.50%
military or government retirment (38-45) 1 12.50%
standard retirment (62+) 4 50.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2022, 08:10 AM

18 posts, read 9,116 times

Advertisements

When I started full time 15 years ago(in my mid 30's) it was rare to run into people my age who got into this life by choice, and when I did they were usually a retired military(joined at 18 retired at 38) but most I met my age ended up in the life via hard times or got into it in their late teens-early 20's and stuck with it. The vast majority I met were 65+ older retired people or the stereotypical late teens-early 20's having an adventure before they join the "rat race".

But in the last 5-6 years remote working nomads like me while still a minority are way more common and the fastest growing group at the meetups and caravans I've linked up with, and 40something solo females are a fast growing section of the subculture, my girlfriend noticed this before I did, as she joked at a meet up 4 years ago "damn I have competition now"(no she doesn't lol)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2022, 04:41 AM

1,438 posts, read 734,583 times
I find it interesting that most here waited until retirement, makes me wonder how many want to go full time but die before they retire or have health issues before or shortly after retirement and never got a chance to make the leap making them wish they had went full time in their 30's or 40's right after the kids moved out and they were still young and healthy enough to enjoy it.

Old 01-29-2022, 12:15 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times
I'm really glad I did my camping dream when I was 38 to 45 and had the stamina and agility for an extended camping trip of 5 years on horseback. 1,000 miles on the Pacific Crest Trail. Highlight of my life.

Doubt my old joints would let me crawl into a tent now, lol.

Yes, I'm poorer in retirement due to not having those 5+ years of income, but so-so-so worth it!!!!!!!!!

Memories are priceless!

Old 01-30-2022, 02:15 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,390,372 times
We knew a few couples that full timed for a while to reconnoiter places to settle in.

The joy of retirement is that your time is your own to go where you want.

Old 01-30-2022, 04:44 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileSauceCritic View Post
I find it interesting that most here waited until retirement, makes me wonder how many want to go full time but die before they retire or have health issues before or shortly after retirement and never got a chance to make the leap making them wish they had went full time in their 30's or 40's right after the kids moved out and they were still young and healthy enough to enjoy it.

so presumptuous

Many 'here' were independent travelers LONG before age 30 - 40, (as if age matters).

I was on my own, living in a pickup camper at age 16 (not be choice, but necessity).

There are so many ways to travel and be independent besides a van (how silly).
+ We did all this pre-internet, taking "independence" to a whole different level.

Old 01-31-2022, 12:54 AM

1,438 posts, read 734,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

so presumptuous

Many 'here' were independent travelers LONG before age 30 - 40, (as if age matters).

I was on my own, living in a pickup camper at age 16 (not be choice, but necessity).

There are so many ways to travel and be independent besides a van (how silly).
+ We did all this pre-internet, taking "independence" to a whole different level.
You just said "I was on my own, living in a pickup camper at age 16 (not be choice, but necessity)" reading back through these posts when the subject comes up most say similar, they chose to go full time after retirement, and up until a few years ago according to polls I have seen it's only been in the last 6-7 years that people have been choosing that life between 30-50 in large numbers but it could be simply because of the increase in remote workers and D.I.N.Ks(duel income no kids) and modern tech that allows people to have the comforts of home on the road(or at least close enough). even now most full timers I meet close to my age(40s and 50s) originally ended up in their van/RV through a "series of unfortunate events", though that is quickly starting to change as people are learning how much of their income their apartment or house is sucking away.. Even in the year I've been part timing(bought a cheap used camper trailer as backup incased I'm priced out of my area that's becoming gentrified) I've noticed an increase in 30somthing full-timers in nice rigs at the meetups.

Old 02-03-2022, 07:43 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileSauceCritic View Post
...reading back through these posts when the subject comes up most say similar, they chose to go full time after retirement...
You have the wrong end of the stick. Again.
MOST wouldn't even contemplate the notion of extended travel until they reached their retirement
and by that had adequate income to support themselves without working and could indulge in some travel.
MOST of them had an affordable home near wherever they came from, worked, lived, etc. they later returned to.

Quote:
...even now most full timers I meet close to my age (40s and 50s)

originally ended up in their van/RV through a "series of unfortunate events"...
Like an economic depression?
The existential angst of realizing they are surplus to viable economic purpose can be traumatic.

Quote:
...the last 6-7 years that people have been choosing that life
Rather like the Joads "chose" to trek out to California? Nope; they didn't choose...
But they also didn't choose to park their claptrap rigs on city streets.

Old 02-03-2022, 03:44 PM

25,964 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Before retirement in order to move around the country while employed. So many with jobs where they can move around are making this choice. Why wait? Some will not live to see retirement!

Old 02-04-2022, 06:20 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
When i was a teen i had my 1951 Chev pickup with a shell. I put a mattress down & sleeping bags. Towed my aluminum boat with 9 h.p. motor for fishin' at Lake Camanche south shore, close to Angel's Camp, CA & many other waterways, in the PNW. Some used tents. We had many wonderful fun times, great memories.

Old 02-05-2022, 11:50 AM

7,046 posts, read 6,298,150 times
I started after retirement and after my son died from diabetes complications. I figured if people could just die then I better start living.

I'm going on my second year and grateful I'm doing this. I've met a lot of wonderful people and have seen awesome sights. So much better than the depression I was going through
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing